“Suite was like a nice size apartment”

Key West Bayside Inn & Suites
Ranked #49 of 51 Hotels in Key West
St Petersburg Florida
Reviewed November 6, 2005

When we drove up I was a little concern because the outside lamp post were broken or only had one light. The hotel looked like it had just undergone a paint job and in fact they were painting inside the covered garage.

We arrived earlier than the check in time and a suite was ready but it was on the second floor. We were not to pleased about this as the main street was right outside and we felt like there would be constant traffic noise. We asked if there were any others available on the 4th floor, the highest, but they only have suites on second and third. The third floor suites were not ready to check in but we opt to wait, since we only had time to kill.

I must say by the time that we got back, our suite was ready and I was pleasantly surprised. We stayed in #305. I probably would have liked something a little more centered but this was still a nice view. There is a large patio from the living room to the bedroom. However, I must say even being on the 3rd floor the patio doors are so thin that you do pick up alot of traffic noise.

The room was very spacious and well done. You had a full size kitchen with washer & dryer, a dining area, living room. I really liked the seperation of the bedroom, vanity and bathroom. Plenty of closet space, you really could just live there.

My only minor complaint is that they need to update their coffee machine, as it only makes one cup at a time. For a room that large, there most likely will be more than one person staying there. The fridge was a household size and they provided dishes for cooking.

We found the continental breakfast just okay. The pool was a nice size, well kept and the jacuzzi was hot with large towels to dry off with.

I have ten years of hotel experience and I must say that this could be a very nice property and I see that they were making improvements. However, they need to start with their front desk staff afterall, first impressions are lasting impressions. I did not see anyone dress professionally but sloppy. I understand this is Florida and it does get hot, but they seem to come to work like they just fell out of bed. You couldn't tell who actually worked there or if they were a guest. Seemed like the housekeeping or maintenance people were properly identifiable with a logo shirt on. I was not impressed by the staffs non chalant attitudes and it certainly is true that you dress the way you feel.

My overall stay was good and I would stay there again but hopefully the next time the staff will be properly attired.

• Stayed: October 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

ohio
Reviewed July 13, 2005

I reserved a suite at this hotel. When I showed up, they said I cancelled my reservation. I never cancelled my reservation. I think they cancelled my reservation because they did not want to honor the low rate I reserved it for. I wrote letters and called Travelodge and they never returned my calls or tried to make it right with me. I was very panicked arriving in Key West on a Saturday evening with my room reservation cancelled. They didn't even care.

• Stayed: June 2004
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 17, 2005

I stayed at this hotel with my dad on April 2002. As you enter you will
walk in a very nicely decorated lobby. As you get to your room you will
not see what you expected. The pictures make it look as if ALL the rooms
had balconies. That is not true, our room did not have an ocean view
nor did it even have a balcony. There is only one elevator
to take you to the rooms. The rooms are in okay shape.
We requested two beds and they only gave us one.
We enced up paying about $148 dollars for the extremely small room.
When we arrived to our room towards the evening we found a towel
that had wears and tears all over it. We went to the front desk and they
immediately gave us a good one. The location of the hotel is very good.
It is right by the highway and next to several restaurants. Also,
I would reccomend staying at the Radisson next door which is an extremely nice property in Key West. I think they are both the same price.
ALSO, the parking of the hotel is not too bad...
There is garage parking on the G-level of the hotel.
Personally, I thought this hotel was alright.
God Bless.

• Stayed: April 2002, traveled on business
3  Thank Arielitoll
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 1, 2005

My wife and I stayed at the Travelodge-Key West in November 2004 and we left early.This must be the dirtiest hotel in Florida,both inside and out.
They did not answer requests for obvious items lacking in the suite nor did they clean it.
By the way,the next door neighbor is an auto dealer....quite romantic.
Stay away!

• Stayed: November 2004
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Florida
Reviewed January 16, 2005

I stayed at The Travelodge and Suites in Key West eventhough it's reviews were not the best. I booked through Hotels and had not realized that I had booked a room withonly one bed in it!(We were 4 people). After realizing that the room was too small I went down tothe front desk to speak to the manager. She gave me a free upgrade at a blink of an eye. She not only laughed with us about the whole situation but also guided us to the best "locals' restaurants".
I will be staying again. It really makes a difference when there's someone "human" atthe fornt desk to help you out!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 8, 2005

We booked this hotel despite the reviews because it had 3 separate bedrooms, plus a kitchen and living room and dining room and a washer and dryer en suite.

We couldn't be happier--the accomadations were clean, well maintained and the staff was ever so helpful.

Go for the suites, not the rooms.

Its a ten minute drive to the old town. There are really no swimming beaches at Key West, but the view from the hotel over the water is quite lovely. We even did a sunset from our back balcony!

7  Thank G D
Reviewed November 22, 2004

This place needs to be torn down and rebuilt! Lets start with the check in. The "help wanted front desk" sign should have been the first warning. It seemed nobody actually works at the front desk, just whoever might be around. The elevator plain out smelled. The room (2 bedroom suite) was a reck. It was nice to open the door and find one of the hotel employees sleeping on my coach! He quickly apologized and left. The front door looked like it had been kicked in not too long ago and locking it was a chore. The kitchen was disgusting, everything was broken and dirty. Small little bugs (like flee's) crawled around the phone and stove. The carpet was dirty and smelled. The furniture had seen one too many spring breaks. The baths were useable but needed lots of work. And the smell of must/ mold was everywhere downstairs. The only redeeming quality was the view from the balcony. This place needs big time improvement, until it happens STAY AWAY!

2  Thank jcacioli