“Fabulous!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

A friend recommended The Gardens, and I owe him for his recommendation. My trip was wonderful because of The Gardens. The staff at the hotel felt almost like family by the time I left. They were polite, accommodating, very friendly, and engaging. They were having a benefit at the hotel featuring a mystery play outside and invited all hotel guests. I went and had a ball. The Gardens is in a beautiful garden setting, is in a fabulous location, has very comfortable beds (always a plus!), great free breakfast, lovely big bathrooms, and a tranquil / old world atmosphere. I highly recommend staying here.
Marta B.

Room Tip: I stayed in the cottage and loved being in my own little world.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Addlestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We had researched TripAdvisor before making a reservation to stay at The Gardens Hotel, and it lived up to its reputation in almost every way.
A warm, friendly greeting on arrival; an escorted tour of the hotel's facilities before being led to our room; superb surroundings and indulgent comfort.
We had ground floor Garden Room which was a good size and had everything we needed (including free Wi-Fi). Unfortunately, the guests in the room above had a tendency to walk around in their room using heavy footwear which meant there was noise intrusion into our room. So, I guess, sound insulation could be better (we could also clearly hear guests chatting in the adjacent bathroom to ours).
Breakfast is served at tables by the pool. The hotel's (pool) bar also serves as the breakfast server. There's a selection of breakfast cereals, fruit, juices, cakes, etc. There's a telephone from which you call the kitchen to enquire about the 'specials' of the day and place your order. In that respect, it was a little disappointing as, during our stay, there were only ever two 'specials' to choose from. Nevertheless, what was served was well prepared and good to eat.
The garden was full of surprises - exotic birds, tortoises, interesting plants, and welcome shade. A really beautiful oasis just a very short walk from the bustling Duval Street.
The hotel's not really one for children as, apart from the pool, there's little to amuse them. No, the hotel's for discerning adults, seeking quality, comfort and excellent service. A great place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
TOTOKeyWest, General Manager at The Gardens Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for your review! I just want to clarify that our complimentary breakfast has a daily hot special that changes each day. From Key Lime French Toast to fresh egg dishes, Belgian Waffles to mention a few. We also have our famous Yogurt Martini, fresh made hot oatmeal and bran muffins on the 'daily special' menu; which is delivered to you our guest at your table. We take great pride in our fresh made breakfast and are always open to suggestions, however, we believe we serve the best complimentary breakfast on the island. I love your picture of the turtle! It looks like she just had breakfast herself!
Jim Marquardt, GM
Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is an absolute treasure! It is set in a beautiful tropical rainforest, yet is only 1 block from restaurants and shops on Duvall street. Gourmet breakfast is served around the pool in the mornings, and live piano music sets the mood for cocktail hour in the evenings. The staff is warm and responsive. Rooms are well decorated and every detail of the accommodations and the grounds has been well planned and is well cared for. Every day we discovered new details we loved about the facility, staff, and management. We will definitely come back here!

• Stayed May 2013
Cincinnati
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Wow, five star service at a B&B!! They make you feel like you are part of the family. Such a unique property, the layout is amazing! We loved our room and we had so much room to relax. We enjoyed our breakfast every morning, always something different to try and it really did taste good! So enjoyable to dine every morning at a cute little outside table, sooo peaceful.

The location for Key West is between Duval and Simonton on Angela, right in the heart of Oldtown Key West. You really do not get the noise from the bustle of Duval Street.

If you are in town Sunday evening, keep Jazz Night on your list from 5-7pm. Jazz Night is outside between the main building and the pool with an poolside bar and the cleanest bathroom in Key West!

Green Features: Uggh, the low-flow shower-heads... just gotta love them! Sure is environmentally friendly! The whole property is environmentally friendly.
1 Thank stxu8589
TOTOKeyWest, General Manager at The Gardens Hotel, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Thank you for your review! We are so happy when we here from you. I will pass your comments on to our crew!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I don't need to add anything to all the wonderful comments made about this hotel so I thought I would take different angle to my review.

I have been coming here for years (which should tell you how much I like the place) and one of the things I look forward to every trip is "Misha in the Morning". Three days a week there is an exercise class conducted outside under a beautiful tropical tree canopy on the hotel grounds.

I can't put the workout into any single category, but it involves elements of Pilates, Yoga, Ballet, light weights and stretching. Misha is a knowledgeable and helpful leader of the class. He has a sense of humor and works in a bit of Key West life into his explanations of many of the routines.

The classes seem to be made up of both locals and hotel guests all very friendly. It has been a good way to meet some very interesting people.

I love the combination of stretches Misha has worked into the routines. If you are into slamming around heavy iron this might not be for you, but if you want to exercise in a beautiful outdoor atmosphere and feel wonderful afterwards this is it.

I hope the locals won't be upset by me letting the world know about this well kept secret.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank EdMusick
North Potomac
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have stayed here many times and each time it is special. We loved our room 4A. It was large with a balcony overlooking the pool. We had a beautiful bath with a jacuzzi which was lovely.
The staff here is very attentive and most helpful. It's nice to see familiar faces here. They make this terriffic small hotel work. The gardens themselves are romantic and a lovely place to read or just be alone. I want to say a BIG thank you to Kate for having MADE IN AMERICA fluffy, big towels in the bathrooms. More hotels should follow her lead. All in all this is a special place you look forward to coming back to.

1 Thank Nancy M
Phoenix, Az
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed here five nights and could not have been happier; great, comfortable hotel with a very friendly staff.

Our Tree Top room, 4B was small as represented, but very comfortable and attractively decorated. We selected this room for its private, large balcony. Having now visited The Gardens, most rooms have at least semi-private balconies or a porch.

The actual “gardens” are attractive and provide a “removed” feel in spite of the great location to Duval Street. The pool area is the center of all hotel activity with its outdoor dining (breakfast), the pool itself, the bar and the afternoon live piano music piped outside. The pool is open 24 hours which was nice to be able to take a dip before going to bed.

The bar opens 3:00 to 8:00 which is plenty sufficient however, if I was sitting around the pool all afternoon, I might find that inconvenient. Billy, the main bartender, is affable and full of stories.

Check out was a pleasant and easy experience at which time the hotel mentioned Tripadvisor and encouraged guests to write a review, which I assured them I would. I had my receipt e-mailed to me and when it arrived it also encouraged guests to write a review and stated something to the effect of …..rating us with anything less than 5 stars does more harm than good….. I get the social media thing and understand why a business would ask, encourage, patrons to submit favorable reviews. But to be told we must give them 5 stars or we are doing them more harm than good?!

This is a great hotel and one I would stay at again in a second, but I can’t give it five stars, not even close.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple