“I Love Sunset Harbor and Key West”

Hyatt Sunset Harbor Resort
Ranked #44 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Temple Terrace, Florida
“I Love Sunset Harbor and Key West”
Reviewed January 30, 2011

Sunset Harbor is the best in Key West. Because I believe this I purchased a week in a two bedroom townhouse with an ocean view. In addition to that week I try to visit KW several more times a year and I always try to get accomodations here.

I have stayed at SH many times in a variety of accommodations from two bedroom townhouse to studio. I have also stayed at many other B&B's and hotels in Key West and they were all good but, Sunset Harbor is the best. Sunset harbor has the best location on the island within walking distance to almost everything and it offers much more for your money.

Some reviewers seem to be unaware that this is a timeshare which rents vacant units, if you are lucky enough to get one. No, there is not anyone to carry your bags, there are luggage carts and ramps leading to the elevator. No, the studios do not have a view because they are the lock-off bedroom of a two bedroom unit, the one bedroom portion of that unit has a great balcony view and a kitchen, livingroom, dining area and bedroom for slightly more money. No, there is not a restaurant or bar because space is very limited in Old Town and you are within a five minute walk of dozens of excellent choices for both.

You could have all of those things if you stay on the other side of the island because space is not so limited there, but you would have to drive and park & pay every time you go out because you are not close to any of the best of Key West. You could stay in a hotel or B&B room which cost more and offers less. Compare the price of a one bedroom unit at Sunset Harbor (bedroom, kitchen, dining area, living room and balcony ) to a hotel room in nearby locations. Since Sunset Harbor is a Hyatt location you also have the amenities located at the nearby Hyatt hotel avaiiable to you including discounts at the restaurants.

Key West is the best with history, culture, arts, the ocean and gulf, water sports, funky bars and some of the best restaurants in the states.

Budget tip-try the city bus to get to places that are too far to walk. A week pass cost less than one taxi ride and you will see parts of the island that you might never see otherwise. There is a stop at the entrance to Publix which will save you even more money than shopping in Old Town. The bus returns in about 1 hour. I also use it to get to the far end of Duval (it runs on streets parallel to Duval not on it) and then leisurely shop, sightsee and eat my way back to Sunsrt Harbor. I only use taxis when I have luggage or it is late at night. You can track the bus location online before you head out to the bus stop.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank mmcreative

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
WV
Reviewed October 17, 2010

We spent 7 nights at Hyatt Sunset Harbor Resort in early October, 2010. In Key West, we have stayed at the Westin, the Galleon, La Concha, and Hyatt Sunset Harbor, and I can certainly recommend them all. Sunset Harbor, though, might be our favorite. The location is certainly key, being only steps from watersports charters & outfitters, Gulf-front shops, and all of lovely, charming Old Town. The accomodations are very nice. Ours was Gulf-front, and the view from the balcony was terrific. There were cruise ships parked there on only 3 of our 7 days (and they were always gone by around 5 pm), and even then our view of the Gulf was not completely blocked. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our only problem was a non-functional coffee maker, and they replaced it pronto, and even made the first pot of coffee for us. The pool area is beautiful, and is open 'til Midnight for a quiet, peaceful late night swim. The Westin's Bistro restaurant is next-door, and their lobster quesadilla is not to be missed. I have a feeling we will be staying at Sunset Harbor on our next visit to the island.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank OutdoorfunWv
Austin, Texas
Reviewed October 5, 2010

Recently spent the weekend at Sunset Harbor. We had trouble from the beginning starting with the clerk checking us into the wrong room. After 3 trips down we straightened out the matter, but lugging around my baggage in the heat is not my idea of a good start. Calls to the front desk were not answered late at night, the manager I spoke to was rude and condescending. Top it off with a mysterious $100 charge after the weekend that was added to my bill, and i'd recommend finding another establishment.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank daskins2
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Just spent a week at the Hyatt Sunset and was pleasantly surprised...The location is 'Perfect' you can walk Everywhere,so a car rental is not necessary-there is the Westin parking garage next door and the Hyatt offers a discounted rate (apprx. $15/day).The front desk staff was AMAZING....We take 2-4 vacations a year and never have I met such wonderful and helpful people.Kathy and Rosa exceeded our expectations and went over and beyond to take care of us....
The resort was very clean and well maintained.The rooms were a little 'dated' and in need of new furniture and carpet...the beds were a little 'hard'...however, the view and location made up for it. Most of the rooms have a partial ocean view--the sunsets were breathtaking!
The resort is small so there were always pool chairs available...If you're planning to 'cook', there are grills and dining areas poolside and utensils are avail at the front desk....there is also a grocery store nearby-Fausto's, who will deliver directly to your room at no charge- just make sure you shop by 1pm for same day delivery!- There are multiple Museums and Attractions nearby,if traveling with kids-the City View Trolley was the best 'deal' because it allowed you to get on and off -start early in the morning to maximize the time.
Overall it was a Wonderful experience,Great location,Lovely staff and would Definitely recommend it especially for Families!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
8 Thank Weddingwoman
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed August 7, 2010

The rooms were very comfortable and large with a full kitchen and balcony overlooking a good pool. There is pool side entertainment 2 days a week. The service and Staff are very helpful and always willing to deliver to you what ever is needed. The location is incredible! 2 blocks from Duval and one block from Malory square. We will go back soon.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank sanda06
South Florida
Reviewed July 5, 2010

I stayed at the Hyatt Sunset Harbor for the July 4th long weekend with my girlfriend. When I booked the room, the studio was available for half of the price of the one bedroom so I booked that since we don't spend much time in our room anyway. I believe the room decription even stated "no view", which I appreciated (and it was completely true).

The room was fine overall. Nothing fancy, but clean and adequate. King size bed, a couple of chairs and a flat screen TV. There was a microwave and small fridge, which we liked for keeping some water and beer in the room. The bathroom was large with a shower, jetted tub and double sinks.

My only problem with the room was its proximity to the street. The room we had (321-A) was directly above the office and overlooked the street. It is a small side street, but we encountered a great deal of noise at night. There is a moped rental across the street so that makes for a good deal of engines and voices. In addition, each night the garbage truck came around 4 AM and made a ton of noise. There was also a great deal of random people yelling and running up and down the halls at all hours of the night.

At the end of the day we enjoyed our stay at the hotel. It is super close to Duval and all the action, and is next to a pier for sunset viewing. My recommendation would be to try for a back facing room just for the silence. We would stay again if we could get a quieter room.

One final tip - try the Roof Top Cafe for lunch (only a couple of minutes away by foot). They make a pulled pork panini that will blow you away. They are also open for dinner, but the sandwich is not available then.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fsumathguy
Erial, New Jersey
Reviewed March 13, 2010

Very nice place with large rooms. Resort staff were seen every day fixing, painting and cleaning around the complex. Our room was only a couple hundred feet to the Gulf of Mexico. We had unobstructed views of the sunsets over the Gulf, when the cruise ships weren't in port. Only one block to Mallory Square and two to Duval Street BUT at night it was quiet and we were able to slept with the windows open, DURING SPRING BREAK!!!!
I would highly recommend this resort for "mature" vacationers

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple