“Almost Perfect”

Ranked #32 of 51 Hotels in Key West
st john, in
“Almost Perfect”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Booked this resort on a recommendation from a family member who works for Hyatt. As it turned out it was a perfect fit for us. 2 very nice bedrooms and a large kitchen with everything we needed to cook a few meals. The screened in porch is a nice touch and we sat out there quite often. The pool is fabulous and the sunset view from the pier is awesome. We used the gas grills to cook fish the boys caught on their fishing trip booked through the concierge. The housekeeping was very good and attentive to our needs. There is a shuttle that takes you to downtown but is cost $5 each way per person. We never used it because it's cheaper to park but if you need a DD, it's perfect. Town is about 10 minute drive from resort which suited us fine because we like to be away from the madness.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Marathon, Florida
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Accommodations

My psuedo-sister is an owner and lets me use it about once a year so I can't comment on price really, but I can say the condo i always stay in is a clean "beachy style" 2 bedroom that comes equipped with a very nice bathroom with a whirlpool bath, full kitchen and a washer and dryer. There is another Hyatt in the area with fancier rooms but with that one you have to cross a busy road to get to the beach (with all my fishing gear) so it doesn't have the quiet relax and fish factor I prefer, nor can i vouch whether there is good fishing action there. The parking here is great compared to downtown as well. If you rent a car and stay in a hotel near duval street or fleming street in the downtown area you are in for a helluva frustrating time finding street parking if your hotel doesn't provide it (most don't)!

The Location

What some say about the location is true if you want to party downtown every night. It is a 20 dollar taxi to and from downtown which adds up if you do it every night. For this reason I stayed here for 3 nights and 4 days and then headed downtown for the remainder of my trip so it was the perfect mixture of relaxing and partying for me.

The Staff

Their Customer service has always been very good to me and they have always been helpful and courteous and gone the extra mile for me. Some people complained about not getting daily cleanings but this isn't a hotel its a time share. If you need a cleaning i think you just need to call the front desk. For just myself, there was plenty of towels and I like to re-use mine to save a little bit of the planets water and energy. That being said there are washers and driers in the room so its not a big deal to run a load either.

The Visitors

The people staying here are always generally nice and friendly and this time was no exception. Its a mixture of older married couples (anniversaries), honeymooners and a few singles but its a crap-shoot on any given week who will be staying there.

The Experience

I spent most of the time fishing off the docks and drinking the awesome pina coladas or eating the tasty fresh fish sandwich they make at the tiki bar. The property has two small but clean fishing docks and a small beach so its perfect for me. You can catch mangrove snappers, grunts (sunfish), nurse sharks and barracuda here among other species. Several barracuda live under the dock near the Tiki bar including a very smart 5 footer that took my live bait a few times but jumped and spit the hook on me (better use metal leader). Some Tarpon come swinging down from the nearby Marina's bait tables late at night (12-2am) under the bridge to the canal, you can hook up with 50-75 pounders if you have some live bait (penn fish seem to work or live bait fish that you catch right there). Yes a few homeless do hang out near the bridge area but its not really on the property its off to the side and I often walk right past them and never had a problem.

If you walk over the bridge during the day, there is a water-sport rental center and Marina about 5 minutes away. You can rent kayaks, paddle-boards, bikes as well i think. You can also buy bait/gear upstairs from the Hurricane Hole restaurant/bar. You can also hire one of the 20 some odd boats there for bigger fishing action. There is also a Publix that is a 5 minute drive away from the resort where you can buy all the stuff you need to stock up your kitchen and save on eating out. (buy a box of frozen squid at publix for $3.99 a box for some effective cheap bait!)

Room Tip: From what I can tell most rooms face the pool or the small beach I think they all have a great littl...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank nickyeager
Riverside, Rhode Island
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I checked in may 3rd also,jackie was the woman who waited on me , she was very polite,friendly,and rememberd me from a previous stay here.the condo was very clean house keepers thumbs up,land scapers too noisy too early.it doesn't take 20 min to downtown either,i pedaled a bike there in 12 min with my wife atleast twice a day, there are no hills.5minute car ride.you can park by the hr or by the day 2.50 hr 16.00day.so don't be a skin flint.if your staying a week or longer go to k mart buy a bike 90.00.donate it to someone whos less fortunate,make your trip one to remember,we did and always do.dinner downtown is awesome at so many different places,so start your day at blue heaven you wont regret it.captain johns greyhound good fun catch your own dinner .im glad the bachelorette party only lasted one night too ,they were ignorant.

Room Tip: there are no bad rooms here.i have stayed in many different rooms all were nice.
3 Thank johnnyo99
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Hotel itself is fine, pool is fine, staff is fine. Nice big, clean rooms! The problem is you need to drive everywhere. Duval Street was a 15 - 20 minute drive; too far to walk. There is nothing at this location other than the hotel. One guest described it to me as out in the boonies. If you have your own transportation, then you'll make out okay, else it's a cab ride to get anywhere.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BusTravelerWisconsin
Boynton Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I recommended this hotel for my girlfriend's Bachelorette party this past week because I had stayed here Labor Day weekend for another friend's Bachelorette Party and had an amazing time. You can see from my prior review from my last visit that I gave this place a fabulous review. I made the reservation on an online site. After making the reservation, I called the hotel to add my friend to the reservation, as I knew she would arrive before me. The lady I spoke with last Wednesday, May 1, at 1:34 pm was very friendly and assured me my friend was added to the reservation and everything was all set because the room was prepaid for. On Friday, May 3, my friends walked in after a long drive to Key West and were excited to check in to start the Bachelorette weekend. From the moment my friends walked in, the lady at the front desk, whose name I will leave out for purposes of this review only, was rude. She dismissed them immediately and told them they could not be there to check in as the hotel was at full occupancy and all guests had already checked in. My friends asked her if she could please try to find their reservation. The lady begrudgingly attempted to look up their name and when she allegedly found nothing, she dismissed them again. I was still on my way to the hotel. I called the front desk (by pushing redial from the number I had called earlier in the week), and explained to the lady that I had booked the hotel on an internet site and had called to confirm my reservation and to add my friend, the bride-to-be, to the reservation. She impatiently told me my name was not on the reservation. I told her I could give her my confirmation number and that I could send her my confirmation email. Instead of trying to help, she repeated that my name was not on the reservation and that I could not send her the confirmation email and she was not willing to write down the confirmation number. I explained to her that I had called this same number two days earlier to add my friend to the reservation and that everything was fine. When I asked her who was working at the hotel on Wednesday around 1:24, she told me she did not know. I inquired in disbelief that I was sure there was a schedule she could look at to find out for me. She ignored my request. I also told her that I checked my American Express bill and confirmed that I had already paid for the room ($435) and that I could show her that, as well. She didn't want to see or hear anything. She didn't want to be bothered and wanted us to just go away. My friends told me she was holding the phone away from her ear as I was explaining the situation with an annoyed look on her face. She made my poor friends sit in the lobby for 25 minutes while doing nothing at all to try and resolve the situation. I finally arrived to the hotel. At this point, the bride-to-be had called the customer service of the internet site I had booked with who was extremely helpful. He called the lady at the front desk and confirmed our reservation. We stayed on hold with this very helpful man as we knew the lady at the front desk did not want to help us. He gets back on the phone with us and tells us that everything is resolved. The lady at the front desk communicated nothing to us and refused to confirm that she could accommodate us. When we asked her if she would provide an accomodation for us. Instead of responding, she just laughed at us. We asked the nice man from customer service from the internet site we had booked with to talk to her again as nothing had been resolved and we still have not been assured that we have a place to stay. He talks to the lady again and suddenly a vacant room magically appears, even though she had told us repeatedly that the hotel was at full occupancy and that she could not give us a room. She told us this even after we proved to her that we had made the reservation and prepaid for the room. This whole ordeal took approximately 40 minutes. She did absolutely nothing for us to apologize. I completely understand that sometimes things go wrong. Had she been polite and at least pretended to try to help us, I would feel much different about the situation. She was disrespectful and rude from the moment my friends walked in to check in. I regret recommending this hotel to my friends. It is ashame too, because as I said earlier, I had a great experience here Labor Day weekend. To me, customer service is one of the most important part things about staying at a hotel and the custmer service at this hotel on May 3 was horrendous.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank Lenore R
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We are a long time Hyatt Residence Club owner and have traveled to many of the locations and loved them all. However, the Hyatt BeachHouse was not up to par when so pared to the other resorts.

Check-In: it was efficient however I was surprised by the dour attitude of the front desk. Typically Hyatt is stellar in welcoming their guests. We were offered champagne upon arrival which was nice.

Concierge: was ok, however it is typical they press you to attend a sales meeting so I typical avoid that process since I'm happy owning what I have.

Room: it was a 2 bedroom and a bit smaller than those 2 bedrooms at the other Hyatt properties. The master bedroom had no door to close between the bedroom and bathroom. Appliances and such were dated. Screened in patio was nice and roomy. All in all this was below average Hyatt Residence room.

Cleaning: we stayed 2 nights hence no cleaning, but they should have changed out the towels and the trash. They did neither.

Property: nicely kept and green, but nothing special. Pool was nice.

Location: nice but kinda far from town and the action.

Fitness center: NONE. Like really. This is where I had the beef. We had to drive to the Other Hyatt property in town. The staff at the Beach House said you have to pay for parking there unless you buy something and get ticket validated. really? Well the other property was fantastic. They lets us in to use the center and gave us free parking and even offered champagne or water. That property was great.

Safety: the property is beside a bridge and there were several homeless hanging out. Didn't make us feel good about walking the area.

Overall below average Hyatt Residence Club. My suggestion is to find room in the Hyatt club in town.

2 Thank PMScotland
Gatlinburg, Tennessee
Reviewed May 3, 2013

My experience started out incredible then went south on the first day. I went to get my parking pass and the lady at the front desk tried to make me meet up for a timeshare presentation to get the pass. When I said I'm not doing that she then said we'll just put a tow tag on your car! Hahahaha let me just say neither one happened and I got my parking pass. That was the only incredibly rude employee encounter I had, thankfully. Now about the room...ants everywhere and the walls are paper thin. When you can hear your neighbor flush the toilet then, the walls are not insulated properly. The rooms are big the pool is small and the beach well,...it's nonexistent. Overall I guess it's just not resort quality but more of a nice hotel suite. I expected more from the Hyatt name.

2 Thank Joes1212