“A'kos is the best!”

Ranked #143 of 448 Restaurants in Key West
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Stoned Crab is the only restaurant in Key West that has three dedicated fishing boats providing the chefs daily with fresh caught lobster, stone crab and other local sustainable species like Grouper, Hogfish, Snapper, Yellowtail and Cobia.You will not get fresher seafood anywhere in The Florida Keys.The bar at The Stoned Crab is a favored local hangout so there is always a fun crowd that keeps the place lively. No reservations needed. Free parking.
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

A'kos at the pool bar was fantastic! We never had an empty glass. He has quite the personality and is very easy on the eyes! Best bartender in Key West!

2  Thank mej226
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at The Stoned Crab, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

The pool, the pool hammocks and the pool bar make it hard to go anywhere else. A fact A'kos most likely didn't tell you; he won a huge "American Idol" type dance competition in Europe and his moves are crazy great. Next time you come here, you must get him to show you. Thanks for your review. See you soon!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Service was the bomb. I wish I remembered our waiters name because he was great. As far as the food, they forgot the old bay on our two old bay steamers and everyone else said their food was just ok. Above all, the flies were UNBEARABLE. It was like sitting on a trash mound. Yes, you are outside and they serve seafood so there will be flies, but MY GOODNESS. We lost a corn on the cob to a few of them and spent 30% of our time protecting, instead of eating.

This place could be so much better. Food was fresh but for the prices? Eh. They need to cut down on the billboards and hotel ads, and put that towards giving people what they pay for. The island is 2 by 4 miles, I think word of mouth can be just as vauable.

2  Thank TheG00dTheBadTheUgly
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at The Stoned Crab, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

It doesn't happen often, but obviously flies must have been a problem when you were there. Come on back and I don't think that will happen again. Our seafood is prepared simply because it is simply the freshest you can get anywhere. Our own boats catch all the local fish and shellfish we offer.
See you soon.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

It was our last day in Key West, and while looking for the UPS store, we decided to eat somewhere off of Duvall. Using the map, I found this restaurant. Wanting something other than crab and corn, I ordered the blackened fish tacos. I believe it was mahi mahi, but not sure. The fish on one taco was pretty good. However, the fish on the other taco was extremely fishy tasting. Also, the blackening seasoning had some kind of seeds in it. I think it was coriander. It was unexpected for blackened fish. I'm not a fan of coriander (if that's what it was). Much less, large pieces of it.

The tacos were served with rice and beans. They were okay, but again the seasonings were not what you would normally find on rice and beans.

To top it off, these tacos were an exorbitant $18.

One other note. This restaurant is right next to a hotel pool. The restaurant patrons and pool guests share the same bathrooms. The bathroom floors and toilet seats were both wet ....

Perhaps I ordered the wrong thing as other reviewers ranted and raved about the stone crab, but I would not visit this restaurant again for the fish tacos.

2  Thank blue_tater
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at The Stoned Crab, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

I see that you are a senior reviewer, so I know you are serious about your advice and comments. I am too. We do not used pre-packaged ingredients, even blackening spice mixes. We make our own and it is mostly loved. Because you mentioned whole seeds in our mix I have asked the Chef to check it. It should all be finely ground. It DOES contain coriander though, which is a major spice in Mexican food. Maybe that's an issue as you don't like coriander. All our fish is super-fresh. We have our own fishing boats so we know how important freshness is. We are famous with locals for that. Thank you for your thoughts. Bring in this response the next time you come in and enjoy your next food on me.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

While in Key West, we wanted to eat at a restaurant that specializes in great seafood. The Stoned Crab filled that desire and some. We both ordered the stone and king crab combo and folks, if I missed my mouth with a bite, my tongue would be mad for a week!! They delivered a huge amount of crab in a small bucket with the extras on a side plate and it was way more than we could eat, AND only 260 calories!!! Sweet!!! The drinks(margarita and Mojito) were excellent and although we did order an appetizer, the meal was so good I forgot what it was. We also had a new waiter that forgot we were there, but the manager took good care of us. Cost for 2..? 68.00 plus tip. Worth it!

3  Thank Jondonjerry
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at The Stoned Crab, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

I travel a lot. I can no longer order seafood at any other restaurant because I am so spoiled by the quality of our fresh fish and shellfish. We have a great kitchen, but they are given the best possible seafood any chef could ever hope for. It's a gift that comes from having our own boats and talented fishermen. Come on back and drive yourself crazy again. I am with you all the way.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

My wife and I went to The Stoned Crab tonight 6/5/2013, our server was Nicole, the best, you need to ask for her. the selection was great and Nicole guided us to share one of the streamed pots which was great. I had read past reviews that service was slow, well not any more. Service was very fast, seeing this I asked to speak to the manager," Uwe" he told me that slow service was in the past and that he had only worked their 3 weeks. If you want a good dining experience with excellent service and management GO to The Stoned Crab at least once when your in Key West

3  Thank Georgia H

Good food isn't always fast. That being said, the servers should never be slow. Uwe is doing a great job with the "front of the house". I am proud of him and the staff that have improved so much. You did a great thing talking to him. That's what I love about Tripadvisor. You find out how you are really doing. Apart from the occasional crazy reviews every place suffers through, most reviewers tell the truth and that is so helpful to the managers and owners. Thanks for the compliments too!