“Nice and Clean”

Ranked #15 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Mahtomedi, mn
“Nice and Clean”
Reviewed August 26, 2009

We stayed for two nights to try the other side of the island. The room was large and clean, pool area was very nice. We enjoyed the company of Rich and Melissa at the pool bar, freindly and helpfull. Being right on the water was nice and my wife enjoyed the hammocks out by the water.

2 Thank olegopher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,213)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Chicago
Reviewed August 25, 2009

The other reviews are short, but pretty descriptive as to what you get at this place. The houses (La Mer is one and Dewey is two) are part of a bigger collection owned by southernmost and there are two or three actual hotels on the property (I would consider La Mer and Dewey house more of a B&B). What this does is gives you the amenities of a larger operation with the feel of an actual B&B. There were three pools, one hot tub, a tiki bar, a poolside bar, a beach and a beach cafe/bar. Across the street was an ice cream stand, a souvenir shop and a convenience store. In the hotel across a parking lot was a fitness center.

Some quick hits about the property and amenities: the beach has seaweed and the ocean right here is rocky, but still nice to have the beach and sand right outside your door, go to the concierge stand to get 2 for 1 drink tickets for Duval St., free wi-fi, beer is reasonably priced and mixed drinks are expensive at the tiki and poolside bars, house location is at the south end of Duval St and not in the thick of things, but close enough to get there...but a long walk if you want to go all the way to the N side of duval (Relatively speaking, the island is only 2m X 4m), spa looked small and only there to say they had a spa (but I never tried it), free continental breakfast (cereal, hard boiled eggs, pastries, belgium waffles, english muffins, bread, etc).

We rented a scooter and it was well worth it ($150/3 days) as scooter parking was plentiful and car parking was not. The beach at the state park is worth the visit and easy to get to via scooter (or car).

The houses have a total of 19 rooms that come with a safe, umbrella, wine glasses, martini glasses, refrigerators, coffee makers and robes in each room.

3 Thank Travel-First-05
UK
Reviewed August 23, 2009

We stayed in a new room with a partial sea view. Room was outstanding and well worth the extra. Pool area was great although a rowdy group of adullts with mission to party occupied it most of the time. They did get out of hand on a couple of occassions (using very explicit language and doing stunts in the pool) somone complained (with small children) and manager dealt with them efficiently and effectively. Our only issue was the cafe, we had breakfast there once, we thought it was very poor and when you get the bill with GRATUATITY NOT INCLUDED written in huge writing gives you an indication of where their priorities are!

Overall though a fantastic place and probably best place we have stayed in the keys.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
louisville
Reviewed August 21, 2009

Well.. I had been planning a trip to Key West for months to scatter my dad's ashes and we finally made it down a week ago. The hotel was beautiful.. great views, clean, food was good at the cafe.. wonderful service at the pool bar.. thanks Kevin, Rich, and Melissa :) However our stay turned for the worse when we used the hotel concierge to book a few trips. I won't go into what they were but needless to say we were disappointed. She booked us on the busiest day without telling us.. she talked us into something that was not for us. She probably knew what she was doing but was trying to make money instead of help new comers find activities they enjoyed. She gave us the wrong time to be at a ship and they wouldn't let us on and charged us for the trip anyway. We tried to tell a manager that she gave us the wrong time and no one seemed to care. Like I said, nice hotel... just beware of the concierge.

2 Thank chacha5
Virginia
Reviewed August 21, 2009

My husband and I stayed for 6 nights in a new king size room with a balcony. We loved everything about the room which included an awesome shower, coffee maker, in-room safe and refrigerator. The pool was very nice and clean with a view of the ocean. Pool bar is open until 11:00pm and if Kevin the bartender is working you will have a great time. The location was great and within walking distance of most sights. If it's too hot or your not up for a walk you can rent a bike or scooter ( scooters are awesome ) catch a cab or take a trolley. The hotel has a private beach nothing to get excited over, none of the beaches on this island are great. The reception staff was extremely friendly and very helpful. I do recommend the Hemmingway House, bars/shopping on Duval, Mallory Square sunset, a jetski tour around the island ( located next door on beach at Reach Resort and a scooter rental ( only way to see the island ). I would definitally stay at the Southernmost on the Beach again.

2 Thank CNTRYLIVIN123
Yorba Linda, CA
Reviewed August 20, 2009

My husband and I decided to cruise down to the Keys after a conference in Hollywood, FL we looked at TRIP ADVISOR and found this gem!! We loved it!! The location was GREAT it was within walking distance of almost all of the sights and there was a trolley tour you could take across the street if you couldn't walk. The rooms were clean, big and had beautiful views! The pool was fabulous and the Kevin the bartender even played the guitar!! I would recommend this for families or romantic getaways. We plan on coming back with our children next time! I do recommend that you stay longer than the two nights we stayed as there is so much to do!! I do recommend the Butterfly conservatory, Pirate Soul, Rooftop Cafe, Camille's and the bars/shopping on Duval

1 Thank winterflwr
Houston TX
Reviewed August 18, 2009

My husband and I drove from Houston Tx all the way to Key West Florida, Needless to say when we arrived in Key West we were tired but excited.
We were greeted by Samantha and Linda who were the sweetest ladies you could ever meet. They had our reservations and called for Sam (female) to come and show us to our room and around the property. When Sam first took us to our room, I was AMAZED!!, The room was beautiful, We had a king size bed with a beautiful cherry wood entertainment center slash closet. The room was upstairs room 412. We had a private balcony, and a wet bar. The room looked like it was never slept in. After my pure amazement with the room, Sam took us to show us where we would eat breakfast at. Which was Dewey House. The whole bed and breakfast was a good experience. My husband and I went back to the room and changed and went out exploring Key West. When we came back to our room, the bed was turned down for the night with 2 pieces of chocolate candy on each pillow. This type of service is like a 5 star hotel. Our beds was made up every morning, clean sheets, refill on soaps, towel and water. Did I mention the private beach. And the Southernmost Cafe. Larry is the beach keeper and he was just the GREATEST. While relaxing on the beach, Larry bought over frozen pineapple treats, and popcicles to cool us off. He was very polite . At breakfast, We have fresh fruit, bagels, waffles, orange juice, coffee and eggs, cheeses. We also had an afternoon tea. Which was the greatest, hot and cold tea, fruit, cheese, crackers, the works. I did everything to come back to my room, because it was so nice. They even delivered a paper every morning while we were there. Since the property is in the Southernmost chain, we were allowed access to the pool, which had a bar area there equipped with servers. We had access to the fitness room and 2 of the other pools that were on site.
We really enjoyed our stay. The day before we were to check out, We were surprise by a friendly little notice that tomorrow was our check out, they even left 2 chocolates.
You must come and see this place. I mean, you will feel like you could stay there forever.
I love the Southernmost chain especially La Mer and Dewey House. I rate this place a 10+.

1 Thank yogi4000