“Above expectations”

Ranked #15 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Miami, Florida
“Above expectations”
Reviewed September 2, 2014

I read a few reviews about this hotel that made me apprehensive, however as soon as I arrived my concerns went away. We were greeted by friendly frond desk staff, our room was an upstairs with distant beach views and it was gorgeous. The beach is tiny but clean and with lots of marine life for those who enjoy snorkeling. There are 2 pools to chose from, one is adults only which was great. I have nothing bad to say about this hotel. I'd definitely go back.

Room Tip: Upper level, distant beach rooms are a great choice. Much cheaper than beachfront rooms, but still n...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
M_Babich, General Manager at Southernmost Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I’m very grateful you decided to give us a try though you had read a few challenging reviews and that we were able to exceed your expectations. TripAdvisor is a great forum for guests to share their experiences and provides us with invaluable insight into those areas where we are succeeding and those areas where improvements will enhance our guests stay. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we definitely look forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,215)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Heidelberg, Germany
Reviewed September 1, 2014

This is a nice Hotel direct in the part of the old town in Key West. You can do everything by a short walk. However it is nice that you can park your car direct here. The swimmingpool area has a nice bar. We had rooms with a partial seview. We loved the location. Garden was in front of our rooms. Nice places to sit everywhere.... :-) The room was with a good standard and everything you need for a stay here. The only thing what can be mentioned in a neutral way was that a part of the bath was integreated in the main room. However we really liked this hotel. For breakfast we went to the cuban kiosk across the street. Great cuban coffee and great sandwiches :-)
We will come back for sure :-)

Room Tip: Take a seaview :-)
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am very pleased to know that you and you friends had a great time exploring Key West and utilizing all of the amenities our resort has to offer. I’m happy to know you’ll return for another visit and we look forward to welcoming you back. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 1, 2014

We stayed here for a 4 nights, a real treat! The rooms are perfect and the location, near the southernmost point and the beginning of duvalstreet, is great.
We relaxed in the pool and enjoyed our meals in the restaurant, wonderful!
It's a bit expensive, but we enjoyed it!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
M_Babich, General Manager at Southernmost Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am very pleased you enjoyed your time with us and found our location and accommodations a treat. We strive to provide exceptional customer service for all of our guests and it is always rewarding to hear when we succeed. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we hope you will visit on a return trip.
Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 31, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a week-long trip to celebrate my birthday. I wish we could have stayed longer. This hotel has all the upscale you could want, but without being pretentious. Overall, what made this hotel an excellent choice for us was it's ideal location (right at the southern end of Duvall St.), the service, and the quality of the room for the cost (we chose an Oceanfront Balcony King, Room 636) compared to what we would have paid for a similar room at the other hotels on Key West. One of things we didn't like and to be aware of (which has nothing to do with the hotel) is the shady cab service from the airport (see below).

Beaches: Of note, Key West is not known to have soft sand or extensive beaches. If that is important to your trip, you may want to look for another destination. I am not that into the beach. I prefer to be at the pool, or in my room, and be able to see water, and this hotel accomplished that. The public beach next door was not huge, but it was well maintained. We observed it being machine raked daily to remove any seaweed or other that washed up on the beach. The chairs are free for hotel guests.

Pool: There are several pools at Southernmost and guests of the Hotel (2 pools) and On the Beach (1 pool) can use any of them. On the Beach's pool has a view of the water, so it tended to be crowded; the other 2 pools at the Hotel are less crowded. I would imagine getting a seat at the On the Beach pool during a high time of year could be difficult. Also, the pool does not exactly look like it's portrayed on the website, but it was close enough for me.

Room: I was so glad my husband and I paid more for the ocean front room (but again, seeing water is important to me). Buildings A, B and C are closest to the water, with rooms at the end of A and B facing the water. Building C is the west lawn facing building. We stayed in the western most of the Oceanfront Balcony King rooms in building B and had an expansive view of the water, the western part of the resort, and the public beach. Buildings A, B and D are the new buildings, but building D is behind A, B and C, and thus farther from the water. Had we not stayed in the room we had, I'm not sure if I would have liked my stay as much.

Hotel Activities: I loved that the hotel had optional "free" activities. I say free in quotes because it's cost is probably realized in the daily resort fee (so take advantage of what you may already be paying for). We did the wine tasting and had a blast. Michael, the Activities Director, and Damali were friendly, entertaining and knowledgable. The tasting definitely enhanced our trip.

Petit Spa: The spa is conveniently located. The downside is that it's small. There is only one pedicure chair so I could see that being a problem if traveling here as a girls trip or with your mother. You won't be able to do pedicures together. Melissa was fantastic. Though she is probably asked a million times, she very kindly provided a local's take on where to go and eat and her recommendations did not disappoint. I had a great time in the spa chatting with her and appreciated her superior customer service.

How to Get Around: Rent a bike! You do not need a car on the island. You can get anywhere you could want with a short bike ride. Although a little leery at first (as I haven't ridden a bike since I was a kid), there is a reason for the expression, "it's like riding a bike." We took bikes to eat and over to Mallory Square, where there are nightly sunset festivals with fireworks and street vendors.

Taxis: I hope this was unique to us, but our taxi experience was probably our biggest complaint of the trip. We waited in line at the airport and a police officer or someone who looked like one pointed us towards the next cab in the line. We got in and the doors were closed before we realized there were 2 people sitting in the back of the taxi. They also looked surprised to have additional people in their cab. We left and without the cab drive asking or explaining, we did a loop around the airport and back to the line to pick up more people! This time, the last occupants demanded to be taken to their hotel first, which the driver obliged. That left the 4 of us, who had already been in the cab (with no air) for a while quite upset. Had I realized what was happening, I would have waited for another cab. I am surprised that the drivers can do that without telling the customers. Be aware of the "Maxi Taxis" that can carry more than 2 people. I tried to research this after the fact, but was surprised to find that no one else had complained about this practice so maybe I just have unrealistic expectations.

Restaurants: At the hotel, there is no room service, but you can order from any of the restaurants and go pick up. We did this a couple times and enjoyed the food. They are all close enough that it wasn't trouble to walk and pick up to go. Otherwise, away from the hotel I would highly recommend Santiago's Bodega (make a reservation if going for dinner), Cafe Marquesa and lobster rolls at DJ's Clam Shack (for lunch).

Room Tip: Buildings A, B and C are the southernmost buildings. Building C faces the West Lawn. The rooms at...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank UVaJen
M_Babich, General Manager at Southernmost Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 1, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary and detailed review of your experience with us while celebrating your birthday. I am extremely pleased that you had what sounds like an amazing stay with us and a wonderful time exploring Key West. I’m sorry to read that your experience with our local taxi companies left something to be desired. Unfortunately I do not know what their practices and policies are but I will be sure to share your experience with our staff members so they are aware if they should come across a similar situation. That being said, I would like to thank you again for sharing your review with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future and making you next stay with us even better than your last.
Reviewed August 31, 2014 via mobile

We had an ocenfront suite, and stayed here for 3 nights. The bb is a part of two other hotels, southernmost hotels on key west, and the three hotels together, which you as a guest has full access to, offer great value regarding outdoor activities such as sunbeds, hammocks, three pool areas, yoga, gym etc. The breakfast could have been better though, but everything else was perfect. Good location at the end of Duval as well. We would absolutely recommend this to other travellers!

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
West New York, New Jersey
Reviewed August 29, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at Southernmost on an impromptu visit to Key West..spent the night. The resort is very beautiful, the rooms are clean and spacious. We had a king size bed and had our daughter with us. The staff was very accomidating in getting us an air mattress for her. The staff was very friendly and attentive. The resort in reality is spread out over a two block radius you have access to three pools, nice and relaxing pool area. We will
Definitely return for another stay..the staff provided us with all the information we needed for our
visit where to go..good places to eat, etc. All i can say is it's worth the money. And we will definitely come back! :)

Stayed August 2014
M_Babich, General Manager at Southernmost Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 31, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am very happy to read that you and your family had such a nice time with us during your impromptu visit to Key West. It’s always rewarding to learn when our guests enjoy themselves and your very nice compliments for our staff members, property and amenities are appreciated. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to your next stay with us.
Richmond, Virginia, United States
Reviewed August 29, 2014

So this place goes on the list of "What to do if you only have 24 hrs in Key West" because thanks to a blizzard in the NE my BFF and I only had a day and a half to enjoy this beautiful place. We totally maxed out the day and this place provided a comfy bed to rest in. Loved it! The people were so nice. The spa was great, the beach was nice and well kept. AAAAHHHHH! What more can I say. I just didn't want to leave, especially since we had to drive back to Fort Lauderdale at 3 AM.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jjc504
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I’m very happy to read that you had such a great time with us during your quick trip to Key West last January. We love knowing when our guests have enjoyed themselves and wish you could have stayed longer as there is so much to do and see. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and I hope you will visit us again, hopefully when you have a little more time to relax, explore and enjoy.