“Amazing!”

Southernmost Beach Resort
Ranked #13 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed August 14, 2014

My boyfriend surprised me with a weekend getaway to the southernmost hotel in the beach. We got a "standard" room but it was anything but standard. When we walked in there was a big picture window with a view of the ocean. It had a great balcony that was just perfect. The pool bar was awesome. Food and drinks were on point and the bartender was so cool (brooky I think was his name). He gave us a great place to see the sunset that wasn't swamped with people. We took the bicycle taxi thing to duval and back. Probably a bit to far of a walk, especially after some cocktails.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Gina C
M_Babich, General Manager at Southernmost Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I’m so glad to read your “surprise” weekend getaway was amazing. What a nice gift and I’m happy we were able to be a part of it. Thank you for you nice comments about Brookey, I will be sure to pass them on to him and our other staff members. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and I hope you will visit again.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,926)

Reviewed August 14, 2014

Great hotel with professional staff. Location was great, could walk to everything. Beachfront hotel, clean, comfortable rooms. Enjoyable stay! Several pools on site. Amenities are welcomed. Will stay there again!!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Angela H

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed our location on the ocean, your room, our 3 pools and numerous amenities. It’s very gratifying to know you will return for another visit and I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed August 14, 2014

Husban, daughter and me stayed at Southernmost on the Beach August 10 - 13 and we LOVED our stay. Room is so spacious, the bathroom was huge and the hotel is so tranquil. I am very picky as to where i stay and I couldn't have picked a better place to stay at for our vacation. They have their own restaurant, beach, pools, bars, plenty of parking, and friendly staff. Everything is within walking distance from Southernmost on the Beach. We will definitely stay here again.

1  Thank barac04

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I’m so pleased to read that you, your husband and daughter loved your stay with us. We try to have a little something to please everyone and I’m glad this was true for you and your family. We look forward to your return visit! Thank you again for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed August 13, 2014

In July of 2012 my wife and I paid $998.78 for 4 nights and our stay this year at the end of July 2014 for 5 nights (same type room) will be a total cost of $2018.20. Now what has happened in the last 2 years that could have made these drastic increases in cost? From my findings all three Southernmost properties were sold. The prices were then increased. They also have imposed a somewhat hidden fee. $25 a night charge they say is a resort fee tacked on in addition to the nightly room cost. What an absurd fee. According to the web site the fee includes your access to 3 pools, 2 beaches (one beach to my knowledge is a Public Beach next to the restaurant) with beach chair use, tanning pier, fitness center, 2 pool bars (not open bars you still have to pay for drinks), oceanfront dining (again you have to pay anyway), fitness center, spa (again you have to pay anyway) and concierge services, resort activities, parking (which is not a secured lot), and wi-fi! This is also taxed at Florida & Monroe County which is classified as "Other Taxable Transaction" per room per night at %7.5.
So here's my breakdown of these new nightly rates.
$334.90 Night
$26.88 Total Night w/t Tax
$403.64 Total Per Night
x 5 nights
$2018.20 Grand Total
I will update this posting pending our visit and experience. We will be open minded in experiencing if there were any changes to the property from both a negative and positive perspective. Stay tuned in August 2014. This may be our last time we will stay at Southernmost due to the high increase in prices. I wish the new owners the best of luck in maintaining customer & resident retention as well as any new resident stays.

Update 8/13/14
My family and I have returned from our Florida trip. We checked in at the “Southernmost on the Beach” on Sunday evening July 27th at about 8:00 PM. Prior to check-in earlier the day before, I called the front desk for a request and spoke to Dexter. Great guy. He has been at this location for years and is always courteous and very helpful with assisting and answering your questions. At check-in Catherine took care of us. Very nice person to work with and is also courteous and very helpful. Check-in is easily accessible for both wheel chair and non-disabled people. There is not a bad parking spot in the lot. Lobby is not big however aesthetically is very nice and comfortable settings. The Southernmost on the Beach Property has 4 buildings. All rooms are exterior entry and security is always my concern when we stay here. That is one of my big negatives especially with increase in the nightly cost. Rooms are laid out well with a balcony. We always get two queen beds. They are very large for two average size people. Bedding is soooo comfortable. If you can’t fall asleep in one of these beds, you have a personal issue. Bathrooms are large with a large shower. There are no bathtubs to this writers knowledge. At one point we took a look into one of the King rooms with the ocean view and it was awesome. If you are a couple coming here for the first time, spend the extra cash and get the King Ocean View.

I do want to point out that Southermost did recognize us as a returning resident with a greeting card, small box of candies and a Southernmost tote bag.

The evening we checked in, both pools were closed due to added chemicals & cleaning. Property management should have done a better job at having one pool done at separate evenings. My mind comes to their “Resort Fee” in which I mentioned above that we were charged $25 for. But then again, when you are paying over $400 a night, one pool should have been open. Both pool bars were closed as well. Since we couldn’t swim, we headed to the Southernmost Beach Café. We went to the Beach Café a few times while we stayed on this trip. Mostly breakfast & dinner. We were always greeted nicely by the hostess and servers were always good. Except for one morning and the server probably should have stayed home that day. Overall the food is very good. Pigeons can be a nuisance once in a while. Just DO NOT feed the pigeons!! Seriously.
The hotel’s beach is public access. Not the cleanest, but not SM’s fault, that’s just the way the ocean is when it wants to spew seaweed on shore. And the beach that is theirs is not really a beach but a built up sandlot that overlooks down on the water with fencing. The pier is nice. I recommend using it for tanning. At the far end of the pier there is a stairway down to the water. I highly recommend brining your snorkel gear (pick up a good set at Dick’s Sporting for about 50 bucks, it’s worth it). The depth is about 4 feet all around the area. You can walk out and around as much as 500 feet at that depth. On a calm day the water will be clear enough to snorkel and you can see so many different types of colorful fish, stingrays 7 barracudas, tarpon, etc. When they swim next to you, like bees, don’t panic, don’t swat them and they will leave you alone. They are looking for very small fish to eat and not you. If you have a Salt Water aquarium, you will go nuts wanting to take fish home, but don’t do it. One day that we were snorkeling at Southernmost Beach and there were several pelicans. It was awesome to watch them dive down into the water for a fish. No comparison to watching it on NatGeo.
So a few negatives that the property needs to work on from my perspective. After 5:00 or 6:00 PM, it seems that the hotel runs on a scaled back staff. To the point where the pool area is neglected from clean up and they run out of pool towels. Two different evenings there were several beer cans on the ground next to pool lounge chairs, used plastic drink cups, used towels everywhere left on lounge chairs. I actually ended up picking debris because I couldn't take it anymore seeing it all around where we were a. One evening we observed a family that had to walk back to their rooms wet due to the towel cabinets being empty. The evening I was there a few of us pool users asked the bartender to get towels. He desperately called the front desk a few times to advise them of all the people at the pool and there were no towels available. I finally went to the front desk dripping wet and demanded room towels for my family. This would not have happened at an another upscale hotel that you would pay over $400 a night. There was no excuse Southermost. Another drawback is the property is in need of a good power wash. Sidewalks, parking lot, stairwells that are cement have stains that are compared to a 1 Star motel. Again SM, no excuse.

I also want to give Kudos to three other staff at SM on the Beach. Todd the property manager, he does his best to make your stay enjoyable, Jewels and (I hope I have his name right) Brian? The hotel concierge’s. They both work hard to assist residents in recommending restaurants, tours, museums, JET SKIS, FISHING, you name it. They have several excellent contacts and have built rapport’s with businesses around the island.

Overall my recommendation stays positive for someone to stay at “Southermost on the Beach” if you have never been there. You may have a different point & perspective other than mine. Due to our extensive travels all over, we observe these details when we’re spending a lot of cash. Especially at the price we paid each night. I want to make a side note that we needed to depart one day early due to a family issue at home.

My final question and comment, ”Southermost, why did you increase your prices by as much as 50%?” And please don’t respond with “It’s Market Price”. You need to work on competitive pricing to keep regulars like myself to come back.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Ernest A
M_Babich, General Manager at Southernmost Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2014

Hello Ernest A. I really appreciate the time you took to write such comprehensive review of the Southernmost Hotel Collection. You have highlighted many of the amenities, attractions and services our property excels at and thoughtfully pointed out the areas which we can certainly work to improve. I have to say that while we do love and strive for every guest to have the time of their life with us we would not continually improve without the honest thoughts of our guests. Ultimately, our goal is to try to anticipate not only what our guests’ might want but also supply them with those services and amenities they didn’t know they wanted.

Your point is very well taken that with the addition of our resort fee this January the amenities we offer our guests should always be available. I apologize this was not the case. There is never a good time to have to close a pool for treatment and even less so for 2 pools. We are fortunate to offer 3 pools to our guests but I do understand that having the ability to use the pool of your choice is the point. I also agree that not having pool towels available when our guests want to use them is a challenge. This is a situation we have been actively seeking a resolution to and we will continue to do so until we have resolved it. I’m sorry this affected you, your family and any other guests who found themselves without a towel.

While I understand the increase in rates has been quite the change I would like to point out that our facility really is a gem within Key West. Our location offers our guest a relaxing oasis removed from the cruise ship traffic, the fun and sometimes boisterous activities of Duval Street, direct access to the Atlantic Ocean via South Beach and our private tanning pier all situated within a lush, tropical setting. We offer our guests Beer School, Wine School, Sunday Ice Cream Socials, live entertainment, games on the West Lawn and at the Shores Pool, foosball and ping pong tables, aqua aerobics, free paddle boarding classes, complimentary lounge chairs on the public beach, concierge service, 2 business centers, 24 hours front desk support and night watch security, daily newspaper delivery to your door, in room Wi-Fi, onsite laundry facilities and onsite parking. These amenities and many more are available to our guests no matter which location they stay at within our collection and we encourage our guest to enjoy.

Finally I would like to thank you for your very nice comments for Dexter, Catherine, Todd, Julie and Brian. I am very glad each of them were able to provide you with the exceptional service you’ve come to expect. I would also like to thank you for your recommendation of us to others, even though your most recent visit did not meet your expectations. We will continue to work on correcting those areas where our service is less than 100% while challenging ourselves to outperform in those areas where we are already succeeding. I hope you will visit us again and allow us an opportunity to make your next stay truly amazing.

Reviewed August 12, 2014

Most comfortable bed in which I've ever slept! And the black out curtains made sleeping late an option for this early bird! Great location, within walking distance of Duval St., scooter rentals, restaurants. A well placed outdoor cafe serving Cuban food and coconut water located close by which eliminated always looking for a more formal dining experience when pressed for time, and they served wonderful fruit salad for breakfast. Especially loved the Tranquility pool which is "adults only" and a great place for quiet reading in the shade. The other 2 pools offer the traditional noisy, fun environment for family and guests of all ages seeking sun and water.

2  Thank Jeffrey J
M_Babich, General Manager at Southernmost Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. It’s wonderful to read that you and your family had such a nice time with us. Thank you for letting us know how much you enjoyed your room (especially the bed), our pools and convenient location to everything. Our goal is to make sure all of our guests have the time of their lives and it’s gratifying to know we are able to do this for you. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to seeing you and your family in the future.

Reviewed August 12, 2014

Our first trip to Key West was wonderful! The staff at the Southernmost made it even better! We got there early and were able to store our bags and get temporary keys/passes to get around the resort. Dexter at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. He found out we were there celebrating our daughter's 16th birthday & he had a wonderful gift waiting for her when we got into the room. Brian, the concierge recommended and scheduled all our activities for us including, jet skiing, parasailing and bike rentals. This was so nice as we didn't know where to begin. There are lots of vendors on Duvall street in which to sign up for tours and adventures, but Brian took care of everything and showed us where to go and how to get there. We love the location of this hotel. Quiet and relaxing, but close enough to get to everything. We did not have or need a car. Renting bikes from the hotel was the best way to get around to all of the activities, shops and dining. There were plenty of chairs on the beach and the pool. The room was well furnished and we had a balcony in which to see the ocean. We will definitely be back!

2  Thank Melissa I

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I think it’s just great that Dexter was able to make sure your daughter’s special 16th birthday was celebrated. Your kind words for Dexter and also for our concierge Bryan will definitely be shared with each of them and the rest of our staff members. It’s very rewarding to know that your stay at our property and our staff members specifically helped to make your first visit to Key West even better. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed August 12, 2014

The Southernmost chain of hotels operates 3 properties next to each other, Dewey House is one of them. You have access to the amenities at all the properties. Located on the south end of Duval St, they are away from the loud, drunken commercialism and nuttiness of the busier end of Duval but close enough for easy access.

Our room was a charming older one, comfortable and serviceable if small. Oddly, the bathroom was nearly as big as the bedroom and very nice too. The shower was larger than the closets in my house.

Staff was very accommodating and welcoming. It's a full service resort with good restaurants, bars, a spa and good beachfront access (by Keys low standards) on the grounds. Wifi works well and the complimentary breakfast (not full hot breakfast) is very very good. In fact, it's better than almost any breakfast I've had, anywhere. Fresh, delicious pastries and quiche from the best bakery in town, delicious assortment of terrific fruit, wonderful breads, waffles, etc

For the charm, service, location, beach access, and overall quality of stay, this ranks in the top tier in Key West

This is my first time here but I've been to Key West many times and this chain is probably where I'll stay from now on

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple