“A Wonderful Escape”

Southernmost Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Just arrived back home from Key West- wish we could have stayed much, much longer! My mother and I really enjoyed this property. The Floridian-style architecture was really charming, the whole resort had - quite a "charm" to it. The service was truly excellent at every facet of the hotel we visited - from the pool to the restaurant etc. The rooms were very nice, clean, and very spacious. We had a partial ocean view room. I'm not entirely sure paying for an oceanview or partial oceanview is worth it because a) the balconies are small, not a lot of room to spend time out there anyway and b) the beach is literally right outside your door.
The bathrooms were nice as well, albeit a little odd (they had this weird alcove built for the toilet, but they didn't put a separate door like you would usually find?) There is also no tub in the standard rooms, just a shower, which was kind of a bummer.
The hotel is a bit loud, I will forewarn you. Not from loud people partying (thank goodness) but rather, the A/C unit is noisy, I could hear a lot of "room" and building noises...Btw my mom didn't notice much of these, so you probably will only be bothered if you have extremely sensitive ears such as I do. After the first night, the sounds/noises were much less. Again, I have very sensitive ears!
The pool and beach area was fantastic. We didn't go to the pools at the Southernmost Hotel , although we scoped them out. They are quite a bit smaller. Someone had told me that there was a jacuzzi at the other property, but there was not one at Southernmost on the Beach. I'm not sure why, especially at night it would have been a great addition. The pool was cold! We stayed one day for pool bingo and it was a blast! The hotel has all kinds of cool/fun activities during the week, hosted by none other than a former cruise director! The beach area is right next to the pool, and very nice. The water was too cold so I didn't get in. While the beach is public, you had to be a hotel guest to receive the free chairs. They also had a private beach as well, connected to a lovely bar, with swaying hammocks overlooking the ocean and a "tanning pier" comprising several seats directly facing the ocean. We also dined at the restaurant one night and it was divine. The servers were great and the ambiance on the ocean can't be beat! The hotel is at the southernmost point of KW Old Town, so if you are looking to party hard you are going to have to walk a little ways. But not terrible (it's a 25-minute walk from one end all the way to the other end, and there are many bars within a 10 minute walk. If strip clubs are your thing, there's one pretty close to the hotel.) We appreciated being so far from the action and enjoying the peace and quiet, but it was nice to have the option to simply walk. We also scoped out the fitness center, it was a bit small. Instead we decided to walk for exercise, which was much more lovely in a place like KW! Appreciated that amenities like free coffeemaker, an empty fridge to use at your will, and free wifi were included as they often aren't nowadays. My final comment would be that I don't quite understand why this is rated on here as a 3.5 star hotel...it's not? For over $500/night I can assure you it is much closer to a 4.5 star hotel. Yes, it's pricey, but all of KW is on the pricey side, so you might as well enjoy it when you have a chance to relax in the sunshine!

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank hollyx113
Colleen M, Guest Relations Manager at Southernmost Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your amazing review! I am so pleased to read that you had such wonderful experience with our service, rooms, location, and restaurant, but please allow me to apologize for the noisy A/C unit. We appreciate your candid feedback and I would take it as a personal kindness if you would contact me and let me know which room you were in so our Engineering Department can resolve this issue. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to making your next stay with us exceptional.

Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

Just leaving Key West after an amazing 4 night stay here. The room was very well appointed and comfortable. The hotel is convenient to Duval St and to Whitehall St. The property is great. The staff was amazing. We can't say enough good things about this place!

2  Thank eajsalzer

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am so glad to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us. We strive to provide exceptional customer service for every guest every day and it is always wonderful to hear when we succeed. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

My wife and I had an unexpected opportunity to take a quick trip to get away from this year's ugly weather in the northern US and we quickly settled on Key West and chose The Southernmost on the Beach based on other Tripadvisor reviews. I can wholeheartedly recommend this hotel to everyone. The hotel associates, from Dexter at the front desk to the people who were at the beach bars, we're all extremely friendly and helpful. It was impossible to pass anyone without getting a nice greeting. We chose an Ocean View room which was great. I would strongly recommend Building C, rooms 601 - 625 on the second floor facing southwest. The rooms are not huge so temper your expectations, but they were very clean and fairly appointed. The porch/deck outside of your room is a shared space but there are small alcoves that have a few chairs and a small table. My wife and I sat there on several nights with some wine to watch the beautiful sunsets here. To accurately visualize this think of an old-style motel (doors to the outside not to an internal hallway). That said, don't let that description shy you away from this place as everything has been updated and is extremely well kept including the grounds. Other points to note are that this facility is located at the very end of Duval Street which is the quiet end of Duval. Still, everything is within walking distance (only about 1.2 - 1.5 miles to the other end of Duval or about a 20 - 30 minute walk). There was a wide mixture of people here ranging from young couples, middle aged couples with families, to more senior couples. I think everyone can find something for them here. Overall, this is a great property and we had a very special time here. I want to put in one plug for Frenchie's restaurant which is very close by to this hotel. Great French breakfast and lunch. Definitely worth a try. Thank you everyone at The Southernmost on the Beach!

2  Thank Dave M

We are truly grateful for your wonderful review! It is great to know that we were able to exceed your expectations during your stay. Our goal is to provide each and every guest with an experience which exceeds expectations, and we are delighted to learn that we accomplished this goal during your stay. I will make sure to share all your kind words with the entire team and we will be looking forward to welcome you back on your next trip to Key West! Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

I have always said that I won't stay anywhere in Key West except for the Southernmost on the Beach. Sadly, that has changed for two very important reasons: the increase in rates and the fact that the Activities Director, Boomer is no longer a part of this beautiful resort. Boomer made sure there were plenty of fun activities and makes everyone feel welcome. I stayed there last fall and It just isn't the same without him there. Until the prices come down and Boomer is back, I'll be staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank robinjf
Colleen M, Guest Relations Manager at Southernmost Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. It's unfortunate to read that you would no longer stay with us because an employee is no longer with us. Believe me; we understand how nice it is to see the same faces year after year because we relish welcoming our returning guests. However, we also enjoy meeting our first time visitors and anticipate meeting many new and wonderful guests in the future. Our current Activities Team has grown into quite the entertainment department with Michael and Jay making sure that today’s guests have a fantastic time. Along with our ever popular Beer School they have introduced Poolside Trivia, Paddleboard School, Bingo, Aqua Yoga, a Conch Shell Scavenger Hunt, a Love & Marriage Game and are constantly thinking up new and creative ways for our guests to have fun! We hope you will reconsider staying with us in the future and again, thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

We've been vacationing every March in Key West for the past 12 years. We thought we'd try this hotel because it had beach access. I don't think we will ever stay at any other hotel. The service at the Beach Bar (Mark Patterson) was stellar and he offered great suggestions about local fun. He truly made our vacation 5 stars. We enjoyed the food at the Beach Café and often ate 3 meals a day there (coconut shrimp!). Dexter & Larry at the front desk were great and even helped me with my cell phone loss drama. We enjoyed being able to walk across the street to Ana's Cuban Cafe for Cuban Coffee & Cuban Pork Sandwiches. The rooms were beautiful and clean! Thank you to the whole staff!

Room Tip: Building A 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cathy C

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. We are very pleased to read that you had such a wonderful time with us and enjoyed our award winning Southernmost Beach Cafe. We truly take your wonderful comments to heart and I will be sure to share them with Mark, Dexter, Larry and the entire staff. We look forward to having you with us again soon and thank you again for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

We drove down to Key West after a family wedding in West Palm Beach and had no idea where we were going to stay. After driving to the end of the famous Duval Street we turned into Southernmost Hotel. Wally at the front desk took great care of us! We planned on only one night but ended up staying 3! Great rooms! Clean and well done decor! Loved the quiet location AND access ability to Southernmost on the Beach's pools, restaurants and bars which are a don't miss!! Can't wait to return!

1  Thank Lincolnloves2travel

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our resort. We are so happy to read that you found us by accident and just couldn't leave! Your kind comments regarding Wally are greatly appreciated and I will be sure he knows of them. What a wonderful chance meeting for both of us and we look forward to having you with us again (hopefully when you can stay even longer!). Thank you again for taking the time to write such a nice review.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

My husband and I got married at this hotel in 2011 and have had many discussions with friends and family about returning. However, none of us will be returning to this hotel. We originally rated this hotel as 5 stars for absolute perfection, but recently, it changed ownership and we are appalled at the new rates. For a "3.5 star" hotel, I don't know how the owners can justify charging $1000/per night for an ocean front room. We paid $500/night for this exact same room in 2011. Extremely upset and disppointed to learn that this hotel has lost its charm and become an overpriced, profit driven "chain" like property. Why would the tourists who can afford these outrageous rates stay at the SOMO when they can stay at a "5 star" hotel for less? Very sad and disappointed.

6  Thank lcarnes23

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our resort. It's regrettable to read that you feel you won't be returning to us in the future, especially since this is where you were married. Our resort has undergone many improvements since 2011 including completely renovated rooms, updated, luxurious bedding, plush bathroom linens, upscale toiletries, robes and waters in every room, an increase in resort activities, a new Sand Bar, improved security systems for every room and a brand new adult use Tranquility Pool. It is not our intention to disappoint our guests but rather it is our commitment to exceptional customer service that drives us to ensure that every guest has the time of their life while with us. I hope there may be other travel dates you can chose from to visit us again in the future. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review.