“Beautiful Place to stay!”

Southernmost Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Though we were told we had an ocean view, it was only if we stood on our toes and looked between two other buildings. That said, the pool area and the surrounding grounds were beautiful. The room was very very nice and kept very clean by room service, we had no complaints. We were along the street and really never heard street noise though that end of the island is quiet at night.
I would highly recommend this place if you want to be away from the hustle and bustle of the busy end of Duval, but it's only a short mile walk down Duval with plenty of shops along the way.

• Stayed: July 2013
Colleen M, Guest Relations Manager at Southernmost Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our resort. We are so fortunate to be situated on the Atlantic Ocean and provide most of our guests with a view of the ocean. Space is certainly a premium here on our 2 by 4 mile key but the way our property is situated, almost every room at the Southernmost on the Beach offers a view of the ocean. I am sorry you were disappointed by your view but I’m happy to read that you found the property beautiful and your room clean and nice. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and I hope you will give us another opportunity to make your next stay in Key West exceptional.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,836)

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We just returned yesterday from the Southernmost on the Beach. We stayed the first 4 nights at the Marriott Beachside b/c our friends we were traveling with had Marriott points they wanted to use. We talked them into switching to Southernmost on the Beach for the last night as we had stayed there in 2011 for 4 nights and loved it. After our stay there Monday night our friends said how much they loved the Southernmost and in the future would never stay anywhere else on the island! We agree! I love the proximity of it and that it is on the quiet side of Duval. You can walk down to the chaos or stay and enjoy a more relxing time on that part of the island.

It was my Husband's 40th Birthday on Monday so we upgraded to a corner oceanfront room. It was absolutely amazing! I've never stayed so close to the ocean except on a cruise ship! The decor and amenities in the room were awesome. Larry at the front desk gave us free drink coupons for my Husband's birthday as well as for being a return guest. The bartenders at the Shores pool, James and Doug were great! James took care of us all afternoon and then Doug was there while we were nightswimming. The pool was lit up beautifully in the evening. I have to also mention Chad who helped us with our bags when we checked in. He was a super friendly guy that we enjoyed chatting with. Also my Husband said his 80 minute massage with Hope was great. Overall it was a fabulous day/night and a very memorable 40th birthday for my Husband!

Room Tip: We stayed in a corner oceanfront room with a wrap around balcony-Room 639. It was amazing!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review of our property. I am so happy to read that you and your husband had such a memorable time with us celebrating your husband’s 40th birthday. We love to celebrate our guests special occasions and feel honored when they choose to do so with us. Our location on the quite end of Duval provides our guests with spectacular views of the blue/green waters of the Atlantic and a peaceful setting to relax in. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to celebrating more of your special occasions in the future.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Key West was on my bucket list, and my sweet husband surprised me with a trip there for our 20th Anniversary! What a FANTASTIC trip we had starting with the Dewey House- to which we upgraded with the help of Dexter upon our arrival. All of the staff was wonderful, particularly Sam who was key in making us feel welcome and giving us some great tips for enjoying the area. She has immersed herself in the history of the house and the keys; her professionalism, sweet nature and knowledge is a real asset for your business! Our room 420 was perfect: great view of the beach and yet privately tucked at the edge of the restaurant. The bed was so comfortable and the decor was just beautiful. Breakfast was superb- with pastries from a local French bakery, fresh fruit, crazy good quiche, wonderful coffee...and the view! In the afternoon a delightful spread of fresh fruit, sweet treats, cheese and crackers is set out. That along with tea (and champagne one day) really made our days special. The property is meticulously maintained and truly a Key West gem of a home! Located at the quiet end of Duval, we found the location perfect for sightseeing. We could leave our room and be at Mallory for the sunset in 20 minutes walking! Since we left, we have wistfully checked the live webcam of the beach every day, and dream of going back. I can't overstate how exceptional this Inn is, and is the ONLY place I want to stay in KW.

Room Tip: To me, all of the rooms seem to possess a unique charm though we only saw ours really. Second floor...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mary M
Reviewed August 19, 2013

This hotel is very cute and gives you an island feel. The rooms were clean and the location is ideal, as it is not in a rowdy part of Key West but is still not a far scooter trip away from the action. My one complaint would be that when we arrived they had us booked in a handicap room. This was disappointing because my husband is a tall guy and the bathroom did not work for him at all, but also because when you are spending a descent amount of money on a nice hotel, you expect at the very least, to have a typical room. When we called down to the front desk, we were told that they would call us back with the options available to us. We waited a long time without a call, so my husband finally went down to the lobby. When he returned he told me that the only options we were given was a suite with a water view, but we would have to pay the significant up-charge. In my opinion this was unacceptable, as it was not our fault that we had originally been placed in a handicap room. The upgrade should have been comped or at least significantly discounted for the inconvenience.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank AshBradley612
Colleen M, Guest Relations Manager at Southernmost Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our resort. I am very sorry we were unable to provide you with a non ADA room in the room type you booked. As a policy, our ADA rooms are always the last to be sold as we only have a handful and we keep them for those individuals whose needs require them. When we experience sold out capacities we will release them so individuals can fulfill their travel plans and stay with us. I’m glad our front desk team did try to assist you with an option for a different room type and I regret it was not an option that suited your travel plans. Our on-site reservationists are very knowledgeable and can assist guests with any special requests or needs they have and I would encourage you to utilize their services for a future visit. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and I hope you will give us another opportunity to make your next stay exceptional.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We just returned from our first-ever trip to Key West, and stayed here based on all the rave reviews.. We were not disappointed. I could repeat what others have said, but instead will try to offer some new info:

1. The shower in our room provided hot water with uncommonly strong water pressure. Great!
2. The free Wi-Fi in our room gave us a reliable and fast internet connection.
3. You can specify an exact time that you want housekeeping to fix up your room.
4. They have three swimming pools. The one closest to the shore was the only one we used. It's quite large and the water temperature was definitely to our liking (about 86 degrees, I'd guess)
5. The only criticism I have is that the exercise room was not up to the standard of the rest of the property. Small, and limited variety of equipment.
6. Numerous good restaurants within five or ten-minute walk. Poolside food was outstanding.

In summary, glad we stayed there!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank mikemorone

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I’m glad you had such a nice time with us on your first trip to Key West and we did not disappoint. We have certainly tried to ensure that our guests have the luxuries and amenities they want while on their vacation. Our complimentary wi-fi, parking, lounge chairs, beach towels, fitness room, 3 pools and private beach with tanning pier help to promote a relaxing and stress free vacation and I’m happy that you are glad you stayed with us. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to making a future stay exceptional.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

It is day 3 of our five days here and I would recommend this place to anyone looking for an ocean-front vacation. Couples, Families, partiers can all have a good time here. The "partial ocean views" in building B" are good enough for me. There are 3 pools. We've had a great time at the Shores pool/bar. The wait staff--Heather--is pleasant, prompt, and pushes the drinks just enough to make sure you keep having a good time. There is free live music most of the time that has been pleasant and enjoyable. The activities staff does a good job to take care of the guests--fee popsicles, plenty of towels, chill towels, activities like bingo--enough to keep you entertained for an afternoon. Although there isn't much of a "beach" if you are looking for pounding waves, the beach is sandy, the attendants quickly get you a chair (if you're a hotel guest), and you can walk up to the bar 20 yards away and get a tasty drink. Surprisingly, they even manage to keep the restrooms clean and well-stocked. The front desk was friendly and helpful and check-in was smooth. (We did have to wait until 330, but their guaranteed check-in time was 4, so I really can't complain.)

The room decor is clean, crisp, and comfortably somewhere between modern and casual comfort. I was even surprised to find they have satellite TV with lots of sports (e.g. NFL network), so if you're inclined to watch TV, you aren't stuck with a channel line up designed to force you to buy a movie or leave the room.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank John G
Colleen M, Guest Relations Manager at Southernmost Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property, while on your vacation still! I think it’s wonderful that you couldn’t wait to post your experience and I’m so glad you are having such a great time. We really do want our guests to have the time of lives while with us and it’s so rewarding when our guests tell us they have. I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay with us and please let us know if there is anything we can do to improve your stay. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review, now head back out to the beach!

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed two nights at the hotel on our tour through the Keys. The Hotel is a beautiful place in excellent condition. We were rather early when we arrived, and our room was not ready, but immediately got a key to make sure we could use the fitness or change in beachwear to either go to the pool or beach.
The hotel is only 250 meters from the famous southermost point of the USA and situated at the very beginning of Duval Street, the main ,souvenir shopping' street.
The hotel disposes over a spacious car park where you can even park your car in the shade. The parking is included in the rate.
Rooms are nicely furnished, spot clean, light and modern. They dispose over all ammenities. Bathrooms are spacious and the shower large and comfortable.
You can find ample sunbeds throughout the hotel, whether on the sun pier (direct access to the ocean), the pool, or the beach (the hotel gives out on the public beach but has its own beds and service)
There is a nice pool bar with good cocktails and excellent service.
Breakfast at the restaurant is great, large choice, good food and at very reasonable prices. So is the restaurant in the evening.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Antwerpengl

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I’m happy to read that you had an excellent stay. Our location at the “quieter” end of Duval Street ensures that our guests will have a peaceful and relaxing time with just a short distance to the fun and activity of Key West. Our award winning Southernmost Beach Café is the perfect place to enjoy breakfast, lunch and dinner and offers an unbeatable view. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and I hope we see you again if your travels ever bring you back to Key West.