“BEST PLACE TO STAY IN KEY WEST!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Southernmost Beach Resort

Southernmost Beach Resort
Ranked #10 of 47 Hotels in Key West
IL
“BEST PLACE TO STAY IN KEY WEST!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

This resort is fantastic! Over 10 years in a row and it just keeps getting better! From the food at the Cafe to the owners hanging by the pool and making you feel at home! Boomer providing poolside entertainment, Heather serving drinks and food and Megan behind the poolside bar!
Wonderful staff and grounds and rooms are spotless! Thank you everyone we are trying to come back in October!

• 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,010)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Nyack, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We just got back from our third visit to the Southernmost on the Beach in the last 14 months. Once again we had a wonderful vacation. Our room was terrific over looking the ocean and the service could not be better. I called the week before leaving and spoke to Suzanne the concierge about renting a guitar, in 15 minutes she found me a guitar to rent and was delivered by Island Guitar 2 hours after I arrived at the hotel. The staff is overall is terrific, friendly, helpful going the extra mile to serve their guests. I highly recommend the Shore Bar, the bar tender Meg is really wonderful and kept us in a great state of mind. I have recommend this hotel to everyone I speak to about staying in Key West.

Room Tip: Room 737 & 736 have great views for sunrise
Titusville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This property and their staff were impressive from check in to departure. We stayed here from 4/18 till 4/22. The staff was excellent in every regard. The room was very nice.
I can usually say at least one thing that was less than excellent about a stay but not here...you will not be disappointed.
One nice surprise was the availability of DirecTV digital in the room....all the channels including Speed, NBCSports, etc....

Olathe, Kansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a glorious week at the Southernmost on the Beach Hotel. First of all, we opted for an oceanront room in Building B. During a previous trip we had stayed in a room on the West lawn but decided this time we wanted to experience an ocean view room. Man, am I glad we decided to stay beachfront! The ocean views from the room were simply awesome. Besides providing a panoramic view of the ocean from your bed, the room included a wraparound balcony. We spent a great deal of time on the balcony sipping coffee, enjoying mimosas and soaking up the ocean views and breezes. The shower in the room even included a window with an ocean view. How often can you experience the ocean from your shower?

The grounds on the property are immaculate. We spent a portion of every day in the lounge chairs by the ocean adjacent to our room which provides easy access to swim in the ocean, order a drink or sandwich from the Sand Bar or access the remainder of the property. We also participated in both the wine school and the beer school which were both enjoyable and informative.

Julie the concierge was awesome in securing flowers for my wife's birthday and arranging a sunset cruise. Thanks again Julie!

We enjoyed several meals at the Southernmost Beach cafe. The food and drink at the cafe are delicious and the bartenders, waiters, waitresses and other staff were all very friendly. I strongly recommend the truffle lobster mac and cheese.

The hotel is located at the quiet end of Duval street which we prefer. We walked to the more active end of Duval several times and took a pedi-cab once.

In my opinion, Southernmost on the Beach Hotel is the only hotel to stay at in Key West. I look forward to planning another trip to Key West soon which will definitely include a stay in an oceanfront room.

• 5 of 5 stars
Colleen M, Guest Relations Manager at Southernmost Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of our resort. I cannot tell you how pleased I am to read that your holiday with us was everything you hoped it would be. Vacations are so important in these busy times and to know you had a “glorious week" with us assures me that our commitment to exceptional customer service is successful. Happy guests are our goal! Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Key West and the Southernmost Hotel Collection.
Warrenton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

What a great Hotel. The staff was unbelievable as were the rooms, restaurant, pool, bar & beach. The staff sent us to local restaurants for dinner and they were all amazing. Can't wait to go back next year. Great place to go:)

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd Floor and never heard any noise at all. Very quiet and a great view
Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We spent the recent St. Patrick's holiday -- and four additional days -- at the beautiful La Mer Hotel, which is part of the Southernmost Hotel group. I can't say enough about La Mer. We stayed in a veranda room and everything was wonderful, even the maid (Sheila) who took care of our room and provided the turn-down service.

Breakfast was scrumptious in every sense of the word. A wide variety of fruits and pastries were offered daily, plus there was always a delicious quiche, tea, coffee, juice, and a wonderful cappuccino/espresso maker that guests were able to use during the breakfast and afternoon tea periods.

Afternoon tea was also quite wonderful: breads, cookies, refrigerator bars, biscotti, something for just about everyone was provided.

The view from the breakfast/tea area on the veranda of the Dewey House is spectacular with the ocean -- Key West's South Beach -- being just 50 or 75 yards distant.

The grounds are spectacularly landscaped, and the entire Southernmost Resort complex is quite breathtaking with its three lush pools, the poolside bars, the La Mer and Dewey House hotels, and the Beach Café. Music is played each afternoon at the pool located at the Southernmost on the Beach, and the artist who played during our stay was quite talented.

Everything was so perfect, in fact, that we had every intention of returning in 2014. As we checked out, the person at the front desk told us that as 'preferred customers' we would get a significant discount if we booked a return trip in the next several weeks. Since we combine a week or so in Key West each year with a check-up in a Jacksonville-area hospital -- making just one trip to Florida rather than two each year -- we had to find out what our doctor's schedule was before we were able to book a return visit. No problem, though, right? We'd been promised a 'significant discount.'

Once we had got our doctor's appointment for 2014, we were then free to call Southernmost to book our 2014 adventure. But imagine my surprise when, after being told that we would be given a 10% discount for our return visit, I then was given a daily rate of $460 per night. Mind you, we paid $359 per night this year, so, of course, we were expecting to pay something less than that in 2014.

When I queried the reservations agent about the seeming discrepancy, she countered by saying that we had requested the St. Patrick's Day week and that their rates were higher during that particular period. Well, if that is the case then 2014 will be the first year that it is so because we stayed there this year during the St. Patrick's Day holiday and we weren't charged any extra for doing so.

The staff were all quite attentive and very pleasant with the exception of Randall, who took an immediate and utter dislike to me from the moment he set eyes on me. Here is what happened: I was waiting at the cappuccino machine for the machine to cycle through its various steps and another patron walked up and stood behind me. This woman was quite impatient and made her exasperation well known to everyone around her by sighing, throwing up her hands in apparent dismay, and even walking around and tapping her feet. I didn't know what to say or do -- the machine would do what the machine would do. It had to cycle through every phase -- brewing, steaming, foaming, etc. Randall, I'm assuming, must have noticed the older woman's chagrin and so he rushed over to me, as though I was the culprit, and very gruffly said, "You look CONFUSED!!!"

Now, I was in no way confused until I was accosted by Randall in this manner. And, then, yes, I was confused because I had done nothing to bring down his wrath upon me. He strutted up to the cappuccino machine, peered down at my cup as the machine finished with its cycling, and then spun on his heel with not even the hint of an apology, his entire demeanor indicating that somehow, some way, he still seemed to believe that I was at fault, and that the other woman couldn't possibly have been behaving badly.

That was bad enough, but then for the next four mornings, Randall would very nicely inquire of every other guest if he or she would like a waffle made-to-order, but never once did he inquire the same of either my husband or myself.

I know these things may seem like small complaints indeed when tallied up against the total delight of the hotel known as La Mer, but my husband and I are unaccustomed to being treated in the manner that Randall treated us. I have to admit that Randall was very nice to everyone else, so he just must have taken an instant dislike to us, for some reason, which is quite strange because, generally, we get along well with everyone.

We had no other problems of any sort at La Mer, and yes, even with the way that I was treated by Randall I would have swallowed my pride and returned because that is how wonderful the rest of the experience was -- and the rest of the staff, too But when combined with Randall's behavior AND the incredible increase in the daily rate, there is no way that we will ever return. And that is a shame, because we loved it there, and I know you will, too -- if you don't run afoul of Randall.

Room Tip: The rear rooms overlook the beach and may have noisy wedding parties on the weekends. Be aware that...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rams2050
Westampton Township, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed here in April 2012 with husband and good friends. I cannot say anything bad about this resort! Everything was top notch......loved the rooms, the beds, the pools, the onsite restaurant, the location! It was perfect, worth every penny, and I would return in a heart beat! Lovely hotel and grounds!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends