“Distinguished” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 47 Hotels in Key West
Somerset, Pennsylvania
“Distinguished”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Key West is nothing if not highly entertaining! It absolutely marches to the beat of a different drummer and we had a wonderful time people watching and enjoying the culture. We were there during FantasyFest and wow seems to be the only word that captures it all!! Southernmost on the Beach is a beautiful property albeit somewhat pricey yet comparatively not so much.
Here are the things that I liked. The rooms were beautifully appointed, the beds very comfortable, the decor lovely, the bathroom roomy and beautiful and clean. The shower was huge. The overall feeling of the room is luxurious. I loved the fact that you had a private deck and somewhat of an ocean view to enjoy. Fortunately we were located on the west side of our building allowing us shade on our deck in the afternoon to enjoy a glass of wine. Coffee was complimentary at the pool every morning. The pools were maintained nicely and the beach pool had a nice bar plus servers. Parking was included and since it was early in the week there was plenty available. There was no resort fee.
Here are the things that I did not like: I did not like the fact that there was only a shower in the bathroom, no tub with no information as to whether this was the case in all rooms or just our room. Since all of the rooms were approached from an outside hallway it felt more like a motel than a luxurious hotel as the price denotes yet we are in the tropics so that is not uncommon. I did not like that the pool was not located closer to the water (it does have a water view) giving a more serene feel to the pool experience and it was very crowded each day. Even though it was early in the week before the real FantasyFest celebrations began the pool was crowded. There are three pools on this property but the other two are a hike from the Southernmost on the Beach property and this pool seemed to attract the guests from all three properties thus making it even more crowded. There was a pool designated for adults only and that was VERY nice but it excluded any sort of water view yet it gave a spa feel which I would have liked to have experienced had I had more time. The beach was very small but there are few beaches in Key West so having a beach at all was great. The actual spa was very small and not luxurious. That was a disappointment to me as I was really hoping to have a great spa experience along with this hotel but that was not the case. I would love to see them expand upon that feature.
Overall this is a beautifully kept property and everyone was accommodating and helpful and I am sure you will be pleased.

Room Tip: I would request to see the room that they are designating for your stay before you commit to a locat...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,021)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
dundee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed in the bed and breakfast le mere after seeing it on a cruise a few years ago and decided to go back and stay there. We stayed 3 nights and we lived it!! Great location , good price and most of all great room and great staff fussing over you in an unobtrusive way. 3 pools to choose from of which 2 with a bar. Rooms where clean and well appointed. Coffee machine but allas no tea in the room. We will definitely be back.
Well done to the housekeeping team
Jos and Maggie Koervers

• Stayed November 2012
Pingree Grove, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

What an AMAZING & LOVELY hotel! We only had the pleasure of staying overnight, but WOW! were we impressed! This was our 1st trip to Key West and it won't be our last!! I found the hotel on TripAdvisor and am so glad I did! We were very impressed at the quaint beauty and friendly staff at the hotel! Dexter was an absolute doll and I just wanted to jump behind the counter and {{HUG}} him after he was finished checking us in! My husband sustained and injury earlier in the day while on a boating trip and Dexter took the time, while I was looking at documents, to check online as to how to take care of the injury. THEN, he took the time to let us know what we needed to do and where to go to get it! I have never been so impressed with the quality of the customer service we received. Not to mention, the rooms are BEAUTIFUL! The Cafe was DELICIOUS! There are nothing but good things I could say about this hotel & its staff!
We are so happy with our experience that we cannot wait to come back!! Just might become an annual trip for our family! Thanks again Southernmost for making our vacation PERFECT!!

Room Tip: Just ask! I told the clerk on the phone that we wanted a room with a view of the ocean and that is e...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Great stay, rooms were well kept, Heather by the pool was an awsome server! Love the beach and the overall tropical feel. They had music by the water during sunset by a female singer/guitarist who had the coolest drummer with her playing the most unique instrument I had ever seen (very cool). My wife and I were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and the entire staff was extremely accommodating. Will be returning next year for sure, dont change a thing!

Room Tip: Go for the secluded beach front rooms!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmond, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I have very mixed feelings about La Mer. It is a great location for Key West, helpful, welcoming staff, nice breakfast on the patio, beautiful, clean, room. But...our room had a funky smell. It seemed to be coming from the AC unit. We turned off the AC, turned on the ceiling fans, and opened the windows. The room faced the street and so was noisy. They were full and said there were no more rooms. So if you can afford the ocean view room at the Southernmost Resort, (next door, same company), that would be the best bet.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

It was my first trip to Key West, and I could not have spent it in a better hotel! Everyone was so friendly, the rooms were current and clean, the food was fantastic and the location could not be beat. I have nothing bad to say about this experience!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here for 6 days at the end of September to celebrate my 40th birthday. Key West is not the easiest place to get to from the UK and I was completely exhausted when we finally arrived very late at night. Wally on reception was really welcoming and thankfully the bar was still open for a few well earned beers.
We booked an ocean view room which was lovely. I must give credit to the housekeeping staff, as this was probably the cleanest hotel I've ever stayed in. The toiletries were very nice and the little coffee maker was excellent. I loved sitting in the bay window seat watching the sun rise with a nice cup of coffee in the morning.
The gardens were also immaculate and I spent many happy hours lying in a hammock with my nose in a book.
The coin operated laundry room was a life saver when we ran out of clean T-shirts (unprepared for the humidity) and the fitness room was excellent too.
All the hotel staff we met were absolutely lovely, but especially Ronnie at the Shores bar who seems to share my enthusiasm for 80's pop music!
The hotel location is brilliant, not too far from Duval St and a short walk to everywhere you'd want to go.
The food and range of craft beers at the Southermost Cafe are really good and Ana's Cuban Cafe across the road does great breakfast sandwiches.
The only reason this wasn't a 5 star review was that the air conditioning in the room was pretty loud and even with ear plugs I didn't sleep well. Also, I would have preferred a private balcony.
This wouldn't stop me going back though, if it wasn't quite so far away I'd go tomorrow!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Colleen M, Guest Relations Manager at Southernmost Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of our property. Happy Birthday and we are so pleased you enjoyed your time with us. Our goal is to provide Excellent Customer Service to every guest every day and to know we were able to do this on your birthday is so gratifying. I want to thank you for mentioning the A/C unit in your room and would like to ask, if you wouldn't mind, to please contact me directly and let me know which room this was so we can address this issue immediately. I realize you were visiting us from the UK but I do hope that if you find yourself in Key West again you will visit us and let us pamper you, birthday or not! Again, thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review.