“Treated so well in modern pretty hotel”

Southernmost Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We loved this hotel. Rooms are fabulous. We had an ocean view and just loved sitting on the huge balcony watching the waves. The beds are super comfortable and the room was huge, as was the bathroom - with great bathroom products. Very quiet room too. One great feature was coffee machine and coffee packs in the room, plus large enough fridge we could store our "to go" food in. Hotel is modern and clean and has great facilities (laundry, lots of parking, gym, beach cafe, pool with the pools at Southernmost hotel also available to guests...). Staff were super friendly and helpful. So different from many places I have visited who simply process guests in and out. We were pleased to be at the quiet end of Duval away from the crowds. We had to end our stay early because of the expected hurricane - which turned out to be a tropical storm - and the hotel were super efficient in giving all guests impartial advice and instructions on what to do in a very calm way. They even organised a hire care for us. How many hotels would match the fantastic service they provided in such circumstances? Concierge was fabulous - impartial advice not a simple selling service. We would definitely return and were very sad to leave. As other reviewers have noted the Cuban coffee over the road does a decent breakfast and steak sandwich.

Room Tip: higher floor is good and ocean view is worth spending the money on
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

Awesome time, great location, great people. Boomer and Sean were great! Hammocks were great, pool was awesome, and not forgetting happy hour at the cafe, mmmmm, also a great deal. Classes with Boomer rocked. And free beer doesn't hurt

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Jpotter68
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed at the Southernmost on the Beach the last week of June 2012. Our partial ocean view room was beautiful. We enjoyed the balcony and the view. The bathroom was spectacular! As a female, I appreciate a large bathroom! LOL The room really was immaculate. The location was perfect in my opinion. It was on the quiet end of Duval but within walking distance of just about everything. We enjoyed several meals at the Beach Cafe located next door. Every meal was delicious! Loved having the beach right next door. I had debated staying at the Southernmost but I would definitely have to say it's worth the extra money to be right on the ocean. :-)

Room Tip: Perfect Location! Beautiful property!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband and I have only been to Key West one time before this, and we stayed at The Casa Marina Resort.
The service at Southernmost Beach is average. When, you walk to your rooms you are greeting by the foul smell of the ocean. I don't know why it smelled so badly. When we walked into our room, it was very nice. It had a modern beach flare. The bathroom was just as nice. We just wish there was a bathtub. We payed for the partial ocean view and balcony. However, we didn't have to because we could barely see the water and the smell from the ocean was so stong that we didn't want to open the door. We had two double beds. One was nice and comfy and the other was pretty bad. We backs were hurting the next day.
Overall, if we were to come back to Key West, we would stay at The Casa Marina Resort. They may charge you for everything (parking, resort fee, etc) but the property is beautiful and you feel like you're on a luxurious vacation.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank lmclarke04
Colleen M, Guest Relations Manager at Southernmost Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am so disappointed you did not have a truly amazing stay with us. I believe Tropical Storm Isaac blew in a lot of debris from the ocean and unfortunately deposited it onto our shorelines. It did take several days to clean up after the storm but I do understand how the seaweed smell can be unpleasant. I would also like to thank you for mentioning your experience with our mattresses. We value our guests feedback as it provides us with an opportunity to correct issues we might otherwise not know about. I would like to have the housekeeping department look into this and look forward to hearing back from you. I do hope during your future travels to Key West you give us another chance to make your next stay exceptional. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

In a nut shell: if you're looking for luxury, location, and loveliness, then this is the place for you. It's right off of Duval street and the rooms are impeccably clean and the staff seem like they are happy to be here and motivated to make your experience the best I can be. It's worth every penny. Get a room with a balcony! Even if it's not ocean view it's totally worth it!

I can't speak for their other hotels as we didn't stay there but they seem to be just as good. The thing with this hotel s you have it all. 3 pools, fitness center and private access to the ocean. The staff are so attentive and do everything they can to spread the relaxed yet completely knowledgable mentality that everyone in Key West seems t have. At first we were a little reluctant because this place is definitely not cheap and resortish; we never stay at resorts, but it is literally the best place we have every stayed. If you're going to do Key West and you're looking for a hassle free, beautiful place to stay then stay here!
They really go above and beyond to ensure you will have the time of your life. Even the housekeeping and grounds people act excited to be working here and to help you, which is unusual, even for the best service industry leaders. We have travelled all over and have never felt so welcomed nor so attended to. The poolside bar service, the availability and convenient hours of all facilities truly shows that they "get it" and have a complete understanding of what it takes to provide the ultimate experience. Again, we are not the typical resort goers but because of the excellent layout and attention to detail you can mingle with others and still have a very private experience. The tranquility pool is a great alternative to the main pool because it's all adults and super secluded. This place has it all!
I could go on for pages about how wonderful his place is, but really you need to just stay here so you can experience the pleasure that we are fortunate enough to now share with the world.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sfotovat
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I have travelled to Key West on 4 separate occasions and Southernmost on the Beach provides every ammentity you'd ever need! There's a pool with a great bar and delicious food, there's a beach, a pier, and a restaurant that is casual by day and elegant by night. The staff works diligently to provide fun, educational FREE classes on beer tasting and wine tasting.

The pool is a great size for the number of guests the hotel can accomodate and we had no trouble finding lounge chairs at the pool even though the hotel was full. The beach has plenty of activities to keep the kids busy - paddle boarding was a blast!

The hotel is conveniently located to Duval St, but when it's hot (like it was when we were there the first week of August 2012) the walk to Mallory Square can be a bit daunting. If it's not the summer, though, the walk is brief with lots to see and do. We chose to stay at the far end of Duval because we were visting with teens and didn't want them too close to the action, but the walk to Mallory Square in August proved to be too much for my husband and the kids were complaining every step of the way. I consider them to be whiners though...I was fine. So...it's a warning for people who don't want to walk about a mile...rent a car or be happy for the exercise (I was!)

We did not get to visit the spa, but the place looked great and the next time I visit Key West (which I hope is soon because I love it there!) I will definitely at least get a massage!

For the price, this hotel is the best bargain on the island. The rooms are beautifully decorated and housekeeping maintains the grounds and your room impeccably. The beds were insanely comfortable - best night's sleep in a hotel I can remember in a long while. Also, there are a number of ecologically friendly products and practices at Southernmost. The toiletries are high quality and stored in paper-like containers to reduce plastic waste. There is a policy for saving water with laundry and the air-conditioner is regulated as well. This hotel thinks of everything.

When I return to Key West...as soon as I can...I will stay at Southernmost at the Beach again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Truly the best place to stay in Key West. We arrived August 25 and stayed til August 31. Fabulous rooms, excellent reception and staff, and beautiful grounds. We arrived the night before TS Isaac was set to hit and the staff was so helpful in getting us prepared for food and updates on storm. There quite honestly is too much to write about this hotel, but it should be ranked #1 and not #3 for places to stay in Key West. We will be returning!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012