“Don't Miss This Hotel!”
Review of Orchid Key Inn

Orchid Key Inn
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed May 26, 2010

Our vacation was fantastic thanks to the Orchid Key Inn. The rooms were so comfortable and luxerious. Brando's recommendations for restaurants and things to do in Key West were fabulous. Ask him about the Half Shell!!! We are already planning our trip next year. You won't be disappointed!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,189)

Reviewed May 25, 2010

We were looking for a clean and comfy place to stay on Duval Street for a decent price. What we got was a sanctuary with great hospitality, thanks to Brandon and Miss Chevonne (the lovely bartender). You can either walk or rent a bike to get almost anywhere you want on the Island. Between meeting new friends "What's up NY and Tampa!!!!", happy hour, the continental breakfast and helpful recommendations from everyone, we had a blast. We already want to go back.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2010

I choose Orchid Key based on the Trip Advisor reviews. This place is fabulous! Went to KW for seven days to celebrate husband’s 50th bday. We had considered the Caribbean, but with teenagers at home decided to stay in the state, and glad we did.

Can’t think of when we’ve been more relaxed – rented bikes for the entire week and parked car except to meet with our boat captain for fishing and to meet with Meghan at SUP Key West. (Stand up paddle boarding; it’s the best bargain on KW)

Rooms – Super clean and modern. We actually slept one morning until 10am, and no, it wasn’t from partying too much the night before!

Service – Really made to feel like we were the only guests to take care of, even though hotel was full. There are not enough words to express the graciousness of Brandon. (My sister-in-law called the hotel and asked them to deliver a gift basket for my husband’s bday; Brandon personally went out and purchased the items!)

Bar/Pool- Siobhan (hope I spelled that correctly) is a great bartender. Her drinks were so tasty that I didn’t want to drink anywhere else in KW. The happy hour is a nice touch. Pool was the perfect place to hang in the afternoons. Both Brandon and Siobhan recommend restaurants and we ate like kings!

The hotel is unassuming from the front, since the pool is hidden in the back of the property, and the rooms have been completely updated. We’re all ready talking about a return visit.

Reviewed May 19, 2010

We are so thrilled that we chose the OK for our wedding group last month. I was nervous to have chosen a hotel for everyone sight unseen, but WOW! They treated us like royalty! It truly is a beautiful oasis on Duval with everything we needed. The rooms were impeccably clean throughout the entire stay and so, so comfortable. The shining star of this hotel truly is Brandon - not only is he a great resource for all of your KW questions and recommendations, but he's a great personality whom we missed as soon as we left. Thank you for everything, Brandon! As soon as we arrived at our honeymoon hotel, we wished we were back at the OK! We really can't wait to get back....especially since the pool bar opened right after we left!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 19, 2010

Dear Fellow Traveler

In the past I have been content to be just a visitor to the TripAdvisor site. Although it goes against my nature to express public criticism, I had such a bad experience at the Orchid Key Inn (OKI) that I was compelled to share my experience here. I have tried to resolve this matter privately with the OKI manager, Mr. Jose Perez, but unfortunately he has taken a hard-line position ("his way or the highway"). Before I begin, I want to make it clear, that my complaint is not against the property itself. I believe most people will be satisfied here and will find it as advertised: a clean establishment at the end of the main strip whose rooms have recently been totally renovated. However, in the unlikely event you have a disagreement with the management or staff, you will be in for an unpleasant experience.

Here goes:

My wife and I checked into the Inn on the afternoon of 2/27/2010 and were assigned Room 117. After returning from dinner later that evening, we retired for the evening early (about 9:00 PM) due to being tired from the day's drive. Sometime between 9:30 and 10:00 a loud beeping noise in the room awakened both of us. Since I was still half asleep, my wife called the front desk to report the problem. The front desk agent (I believe he identified himself as "Bruce") said that there was no maintenance man on the premises, and that he would have to turn in a service request. By that time the noise had gone away. Since I was hoping to return to sleep as soon as possible and since the noise had gone away, I was hoping it was a onetime occurrence, and so I declined to have the maintenance man come into the room. My wife and I tried to return to sleep. Within minutes the beeping sound had returned louder than ever and was not going away. The noise was so offensive that it was painful to stay in room. My wife and I both got dressed.

While my wife waited outside, I walked over to the office. You could hear the beeping sound all the way across the courtyard. Needless to say I was fairly irritated at this point and told Bruce that the problem needed to be fixed as soon as possible and that I was going to request some compensation for the unpleasant experience. Bruce did call the maintenance man, but also threatened to call the police and with the intent, in my opinion, of having me arrested. I didn't know that asking for compensation due to having your night's sleep ruined was against the law. Eventually the maintenance man did show up and determined that the noise was coming from the smoke detector on the ceiling. I had him completely remove the smoke alarm and it even continued to "chirp" as he carried it away. This was about 10:30PM. To add insult to injury both the maintenance man and Bruce tried to blame the problem on me by accusing me of turning on the heat in the room. That was totally false and when the maintenance man looked at the thermostat, he could see that it was set to A/C. I later learned that 99% of the time, a beeping smoke alarm is caused by failure to replace the batteries at least once a year.

This trip was to Florida was planned for a special occasion. My wife was celebrating a milestone birthday. Having our sleep disrupted and being threatened with arrest almost ruined the whole trip for us.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
65  Thank beachcomber35
Reviewed May 13, 2010

This is a hidden secret. Great location at Truman and Duval. It must have been recently updated. The outside looks simple, with white brick walls. But, the rooms were amazing with beautiful scenic artwork and updated bathrooms and furniture. The pool was small, but quiet. The hot tub has a beautiful tiled orchid waterfall wall. The lobby attendant was very helpful. The room comes with an adequate continental breakfast in the small bar room.

Reviewed May 12, 2010

This was our first stay at Orchid Key and we loved it! Our group took up 5 rooms and every room was clean and beautifully decorated. Brandon was wonderful and attentive even getting some of the ladies a drink while they were in the pool! The Bartender was more than you could ask for, friendly and outgoing with great stories that can keep you sipping fabulous wine all night! The breakfast and free happy hour are a great addition and a relaxing way to start that day and get ready for your evening. We were sad to leave but will absolutely be back!

• Stayed: May 2010