Key West Youth Hostel & Seashell Motel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewssafe place to stayown bathroomsouthernmost pointpleasant staybikes
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 8, 2013

It's expensive for a hostel, but it's the only one in Key West. Location is ok -a short walk to Duval Street. The dorm room and bathroom was smelly and dirty. The air con unit was SOOO loud -even with ear pugs in, it was difficult to sleep. The blind did nothing to keep the outside light out -so much that you could not tell if it was day or night outside. The dorm I was in was right next to the road so it was also quite noisy, although the air con drowned out most of the other noises! The office was closed when I arrived, although it clearly was within 'office hours' and there was not a note to say when it would be open. When I phoned it went to answer phone. Luckily I only had to wait about 15 minutes before someone turned up, but it was not a good first impression.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Philiarana
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I was searching for an affordable, clean, safe place to stay in Key West. Seashell motel was perfect for us. It was in a good location, not too far from Duval/Simonton etc. for access yet not too close to afford quiet. we stayed in the interior courtyard motel portion which afforded privacy and security. The room was clean. Had no trouble sleeping (which sometimes I do in a new place). We are plus sized individuals so the beds were small but there were two of them so we each got our own. In addition there was a small alcove in the room which housed a twin bed for my little one. The bus stop for public transportation was closeby. There were soda machines. A refrigerator in the room. There is a community kitchen with stove, microwave, refrigerator and utensils. Overall, I am very pleased with the stay. I just needed a respite to recharge (nap) in the heat of the day and to sleep at night. It is not a deluxe accommodation by any means, but it is worth its weight in gold in providing a simple room at a fraction of the cost of lodging elsewhere in Key West. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 7. If you have a family try to request the interior courtyard motel rooms. It affords just a little more security and privacy. The rooms on the outside face directly onto the street.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ocalamom2013
Reviewed August 23, 2013

This hostel is $50 a night in a 10 bed dorm and it´s one of the worst hostels i ever stayed in (and the most expensive one, too).
The beds are shabby, it is all but clean, you have to hop around under the shower to get wet and the "kitchen" is a joke.
The outside area is not very pretty either, the chairs are very worn out and the tables dirty.
It´s outside, fine by me, but there is nothing in it! All cupboards are empty. There is a microwave and a toaster. Go and look for a cup, you won´t find a single one! There are some plastic plates around but that´s about as good as it get´s!
The location is ok, it´s a fair walk to the marina and the bustling part of the town. It´s quiet, though. Not taking the noises of your 9 room mates into account.
The only positive thing i have to say is that the lady at the counter was very nice!
I don´t know about the motel rooms, but the hostel sucks!
Spend some more money and get a nice place. I am on a budget, too, but i also want to feel comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sandra G
Reviewed August 12, 2013

The hostel is located in a quiet street in south key west, but not far from Duval Street, where you have almost all stores, bars and nightlife. I was kindly treated by hostel staff, and they were very honest: they sent my friend's macbook charger through mail as he forgot it there!
It's not a luxury place - and no one can expect this from a hostel - but it's clean, quiet, well located and affordable.

Room Tip: If possible, ask for outside rooms facing the parking. Windows are bigger! :)
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I have traveled the world, and trust me... I have stayed in a better hostels in Bolivia or Cambodia. This place is dirty and full of cockroaches. Toilet was so disgusting that I was afraid to use it. Unsafe door lockers and "strange characters" are walking around. I did not read reviews before booking my (thank God!) 1-night stay over there. I was greedy to pay more for a clean and tidy place and i got punished for that.

Dear owners of the Key West Youth Hostel. Please invest some money in your business, keep it nice, clean and fresh, improve the quality of this place and i bet you will make a lot of money and improve your rating.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family