“Stay here if you have no other option”

Key West Youth Hostel & Seashell Motel
Reviewed November 1, 2012

It is very unfortunate that this is the only youth hostel in the key west (June 2012). When I walked in the male dorm I was very disappointed and actually wondered whether I was still in the US. Here are some of the problems:

1) The bunks were old made of wood and some were broken. Two of them were in this nasty old nook, which thankfully I didn't have to sleep on.

2) Expensive (around 40 a night) which in my opinion is not worth it. I've found way better places for around $20 a night.

3) Really dirty bathroom and when it rained it leaked so the entire floor was wet.

4) Beware of the pictures which were taken when the hostel was in its heyday. I don't think it's been renovated in a looong time. However I heard that they "might" renovate.

Sad to say, I could only last a night and since I couldn't get a refund I moved to a motel room ($100+ a night) which was decent, but again not even worth $100.

On the positive the location is nice, they have free parking and the staff was nice. However, in all honestly I would not recommend this place unless you have no other option. It is very unfortunate that this is the only hostel in key west so you kind of have no choice. Good luck if you choose to stay here.....

Room Tip: Hostel rooms aren't the best. Find a buddy and try opt for a motel room instead.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank ChaJay

Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

I was forced to stay there, because I've got stuck on Key West. Russian girl on the front desk was quite helpful, but the rest was awful. She offered me a private room for !$65! or dorm for !! $45 !! I took dorm, because private would be nearly the same price as hotels around. So I paid and what I've got? Dirty room, everything looked like from old Soviet union, half-functional toilet and when I asked about towel, she wanted another $5 for it. There are security lockers in the backyard for one buck per 24h but they are smelly inside. Kitchen is a kind of open air space and I saw there a rat, twice. So overall, it was terrible experience, which was little bit more acceptable because of location- it is few blocks from southernmost point and duval street. But still, this is a NO-NO for me.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank JeanPijon
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Ended up paying roughly $35 p/n for a three bed motel room. For the price, the room was very decent. Two double beds, own bathroom and communal kitchen to use. Good location - five minutes walk away from the beach. Only downside was the location to the airport/grey hound bus station. Buses don't really operate in Key West so we had to get a taxi. Staff weren't very helpful either and rarely seemed to be in the office.
Would make sure to keep your door locked and take your valuables with you as the area was debatable - but apart from that, I would recommend it.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank fblock
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I am a frequent hosteller so I have a tolerance for the differences between hotels and hostel accommodations. That said, my hopes were high for Seashell - amazing location blocks from Duval St. and the Southernmost marker. At check-in, I was surprised when my total for a one-night stay came to $122.83! The posted room rate was $89.00. I didn't protest, after a seven hour drive - my three children and I were too exhausted to put up much fight.

The room smelled like a port-a-potty, the shower was filthy and mildewed, the ac unit leaked inside and was duct taped together. The beds were painful, two of my kids slept on the ceramic floor instead of the bed and said it was more comfortable that way.

I helped the kids find the bright side of things by taking them down to Duval St. for people watching and gallery browsing.

We survived the night, but are holding out hope that a new owner and new management will save this place and spend a few dollars improving and cleaning things up. Shame.

• Stayed: August 2012
5  Thank IJourneyMore
Reviewed August 3, 2012

BRIEF: DO NOT GO HERE - WORST MISTAKE YOU CAN MAKE IN KEY WEST!

I have been across the world in many forms of luxury in hostels and hotels. This is one of the worst places i have seen in a while. The mixed dorm has bunk beds of a type that i assume are found in prisons. They are old and rickety, in one room some shelves are used as make shift beds. Top bunks have no ladders, or barrier, you can and will likely fall off the top if you are unfortunate to have one.

Windows are broken, and the women in our group who had a bed next to a window were very afraid due to the fact anyone can put their hand in from the outside.

The mattresses has been so worn that they have no more support in them, they are covered in a terribly uncomfortable material that the whole sleeping experience is an "experience". To add to this experience will be a cast of bed bugs, that will follow you through your trip as you leave this terrible place.

The lady that seems to run the place is incredibly patronizing and rude.

The WIFI does not work.

We were in a group of 4, and we met another 3 in the place, of which everyone shared the same thoughts as this review.

This place is also over priced, if there are a group of you or a couple, consider a hotel - this place provides none of the perks of a hostel, and none of the comforts of a hotel. You will most likely find a hotel for the same combined costs, and actually enjoy your stay!

BE WARNED - AVOID!

Room Tip: Find somewhere else.....
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
10  Thank salmosri
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Very nice hostel. It has clean rooms with enough space, a beautiful patio with an open kitchen with barbecue and tables, chairs, parasols. It's right at the beach, there is free parking space. Just a little dust from the airco...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Caro B
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I spent one night in this hostel in Nov 2011 with my girlfriend. In a nutshell, rooms are very basic but quite clean, bathrooms as well. Prices are quite cheap too. Staff is friendly enough.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple