“Studio Rental at an RCI Gold Crown Timeshare”

The Galleon Resort And Marina
Ranked #46 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Christmas, Florida, United States
“Studio Rental at an RCI Gold Crown Timeshare”
Reviewed June 27, 2014

We rented a "B" lock-off unit without a view. This was fine since our friends own a 2-BR w/loft overlooking the marina and Gulf with a great sunset view. Room seemed a bit pricey. $950 for 4 nights with only a queen bed. Small kitchenette (tiny fridge) and just a shower. The staff was great. Everyone was helpful and smiling. Sunset Tiki Bar has good drinks and food with 2 for 1 Bloody Marys in the morning and a 2 for 1 happy hour every evening from 5 to 7. Location is super. Walking distance to just about everything. The humidity is brutal in June. 92 degrees but felt like 102! Our fault for visiting in June. I'd recommend the resort.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 106PatS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Flagler Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Check in and check out were excellent. Our two bedroom was very clean, well maintained, and sufficiently stocked with everything we needed. Ice maker made maybe three cups of ice per day. Ice machine was $1.00 for maybe a cup or two of ice, but we found the ice vendor behind the resort at the marina and bought our ice there much cheaper. I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful view from our balcony. 99% of the staff were quite professional, helpful, and friendly, but only when spoken to first. There was a dark-haired middle-aged lady who served hot dogs and burger at the tiki bar two days that was so unbelievable rude and unprofessional. She worked out there with an older gentleman who worked the grill. On Monday, she seemed to have some issue with me although we never spoke one time. I was walking through the tiki area to get over to the pool and as I walked by she yelled at the gentleman who had done the grilling. I heard her yell and turned around and when I turned she was pointing me out to him. I then saw her multiple times throughout the week at the tiki bar and the marina bar on the back side of the resort. When I would walk by, she repeatedly nudged him and motioned towards me with her head and laughed. I have no clue why she felt the need to keep pointing me out and never had any personal interaction with her the entire week, but found it very RUDE and UNPROFESSIONAL. She acted like a mean girl in a middle-aged body. I have to say I thought maybe I was reading too much into her behavior until my friends noticed her doing this behind my back. It was as if she was making fun of me. I manage staff and would never allow this behavior from anyone on our property. It was all a very sad and unprofessional reflection on n otherwise nice resort. The landscaping needs a lot of attention as I observed a lot of debris in the flower beds, wilting plants, and palm trees in need of a good trimming. The mid-week tidy was very well done and the housekeeping staff and front desk staff were all very accommodating and efficient! The tiki bartender needs to smile and pretend he likes his job as he appeared overwhelmed and unhappy.

Room Tip: Ask for your room to be on an upper floor if facing the pool as this is a family resort with many ch...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
8 Thank Sheree M
Key Largo, Florida
Reviewed June 2, 2014

My husband son and I stayed here for 2 nights while some family was in a boat at the marina. It is a bit pricy but par for Key West. All the rooms are set up as condo/time shares so they at least have a studio apartment set up with an efficiency style kitchen. When we went up to our room I was a little skeptical since it was an exterior staircase over some souvenir shops but my mind was changed when we got inside. The room was new or recently re-done with a modern minimalist feel. Beautiful bathroom with a rain shower faucet in the large walk in shower (no tub). It is perfect distinct to Duval street, easy to walk to but not all the noise right at your room. The pool and not tubs are great and they even have their own private beach! Don't get the wrong idea when I saw beach, it is about 25 feet wide, for Key West it is a diamond in the rough!! There are no natural beaches in Key West so this is a rare fine. The water is clear and their were tropical fish swimming around the rocks, is was perfect for our son to splash around in.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Ashley M
New Mexico
Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

We spent 3 days here. Two couples in a 2 bedroom condo. Yes this is a timeshare property not a hotel. What you need to know: the 2 bedroom units ARE NOT worth the price for 2 couples to share. The master suite is awesome but the 2nd bedroom is a joke and the couple stuck with it won't be happy !!

The property itself is in bad shape. It's not pretty by any means. Actually it's ugly when you drive up to it and the inside is no better. I feel bad for the timeshare owners because it has not been maintained. The 2 bedroom unit was OK. The kitchen was nice and had everything we needed. The dining/ living were also clean and comfortable. The main bedroom suite was awesome ; HOWEVER , the second bedroom was tiny and the bathroom was worse than what you'd find at a Motel6. This is not what you'd expect when you pay $500+ per night for a 2 bed unit.

Won't stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank ABitSpoiled
Deerfield Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Although not a hotel this timeshare charges room rate of $400.00/night plus. Room was clean, spacious, but weirdly laid out. If you have more than 2 in room the guests have to pass through the master bedroom to reach the bathroom, no separate entrance. Try to avoid the sunset tiki bar. They do a bait and switch with the happy hour menu. The bartender acknowledged the wrong charges suggesting that we take the wrong charge off the expected tip. Who ever heard of this? The lack of maintenance is showing in the condition of the boardwalk around the hotel. Loose, cracked boards abound. Be careful walking along this path.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sherman B
Key West, Florida
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Let's get that across from the outset. This is not a hotel but an RCI timeshare complex so no service. That would normally put us off right away, but actually the rooms are good and the facilities above average. It is not cheap but it is so near all the Duval action and yet you feel you are in a resort. The Tiki Bar and pool are excellent.

Room Tip: Do NOT go for the small rooms. The one we were shown had no window other than one facing the walkway...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DesNichols
WILDWOOD
Reviewed April 30, 2014

This place used to be 5 Star, but lack of maintenance, and upgrades have caused it to decline. The rooms need redone. The Tiki Bar has been renovated beautifully, it's the only reason to go there anymore. Everything else seems stuck in the 80's. It's a shame.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple