“Nice place but don't bet on the wifi working”

The Galleon Resort And Marina
Ranked #46 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Florida
“Nice place but don't bet on the wifi working”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

Rooms were cool with modern, upgraded showers. Pretty view of the marina from certain rooms...had a great time all around but the wifi was AWFUL! And when I went to the front desk, we even tried there...on their own wifi...wasn't working on my phone nor others phones. Their answer...to call THEIR technical service to figure it out. Only there for a night...really didn't feel like staying on the phone for hours with their tech service just to tell me they are having an issue and to try back later. Ugh! Yes, you are in Key West and looking to relax but just a little time to upload all our fun to facebook to make our friends jealous, would have been nice.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

Best location in Key West! My husband and I stayed here three times in the last three years with our friends who have a time share here. We never rent a car when we fly into Key West because if you stay at the Galleon, you don't need it. You are walking distance to the bars on Duval Street as well as other attractions. Bring comfortable shoes because although it's walking distance, it's not around the corner. If you stay in the units that have a kitchen, there is a small grocery store that you can walk to and stock your fridge with the essentials, like milk, eggs, snacks and most importantly a bloody mary mix :). The pool is clean and spacious but the beach area is a bit small. Also make sure you play bingo by the pool! On the day I got engaged (April 2012), I won the big jackpot. I thought that my day couldn't get better than that (until I got engaged that night)! The rooms are clean and the staff is very friendly. Make sure to hit up Better than sex for dessert, Blue Heaven for the huge slice of key lime pie and La Te Da for some great food. Also there is a CVS a block or 2 away for any essentials you may have forgotten. And the CVS sells liquor!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lexington, KY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

First of all, the G building is not really part of the resort. On one side is a busy street that dead ends at the harbor, so there is constant traffic as well as the beep, beep, beep, of trucks backing up at all times of the morning and night. On the other side is the community trash bin so you are awakened on most mornings with the backing up of the trash truck. (At least they do empty it on a regular basis)

On one evening my wife and I decided to return to our room for an afternoon nap only to be awakened by the sound of a drill right outside our window. As I opened the blinds, I had the pleasure of staring face to face with a worker staring in our window. I told him to get the "h&!! out of here" and went to the front desk to file a complaint.

The manager's response was to ask me "When else am I going to have security cameras installed?" and if I didn't like it I could check out and stay somewhere else.

Don't let this place ruin your vacation. We were a group of 6 and the others in our group took us in for the remainder of the stay. Stay away.

Room Tip: Stay away from the G building
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank LookingSouth
Buffalo, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

My husband and I stayed here in January 2014. We found the Galleon on VRBO and rented directly from someone who owned a timeshare. We loved it so much we bought our own timeshare!
The number one pro of this property....location location location. This "high rise" (A whopping 6 stories I think) is steps from the marina so you have access to many marina bars and restaurants as well as shore excursions leaving from there (we loved the sunset champagne cruise on the Echo catamaran). If you don't want the "quiet life" of the marina area you can walk a few blocks and get to Duval for all the partying you want. We stayed in an "efficiency" property which is similar to a studio hotel room with mini kitchen. We had a small balcony that allowed us to check out how many cruise ships were in port (helping us decide if it was a town day or a pool day based on how many cruise passengers were coming in). We found that the property is very laid back. We had no pressure to purchase a timeshare and the people we dealt with at the front desk and office treated us like family. I do think the property could sell more timeshares if they shared more information openly. I think they get so many ‘return guests’ and timeshare owners that they forget not everyone has been there before. We knew there was a pool but we had to ask about some of the amenities and were happy to find out there is a small beach onsite, full laundry (which helped when we our flight got canceled and we had to stay two more days), free wi fi with the password from the front desk and an observation deck where you can view the sunset if you don't have a good view from your room. The resort also did a drawing for prizes that we got to participate in just for being there (not just for the timeshare owners). They have lunch specials daily that we will definitely participate in when we return which will help save us a few dollars. The only downside is the bartenders. I read in another review that someone said everyone was friendly but the bartenders and I would unfortunately have to agree. They have a brand new Tiki Bar but we didn't spend much time or money there because the bartenders made us feel like we were a bother to them. If you stay, be sure to see Elsie in the office...she gave us so many coupons that I have many leftover. It made for some great pub crawls with B1G1 drink tickets as well as a romantic night out since we had 20% off Better Than Sex Dessert restaurant and a B1G1 entree at Cafe Sole (the best dinner I had while there...the Hogfish melts in your mouth!) I would definitely recommend a higher level unit (our timeshare has 2 beds, 2 baths, full kitchen, large balcony and huge flatscreen tv). I’d also recommend asking about the amenities when you check in and seeing Elsie in the office right away. I loved all the coupons since it allowed us to try new things and finding out what was going on that week at the Galleon would have been helpful learning about Day 1. We will be back soon and know you won’t be disappointed as long as you speak up.

Room Tip: For a quiet room get one that overlooks the marina. If you like to hear some music sitting on your b...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Heather J
Key West, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

Great key west hotel. Right at the marina and within walking distance of all Key West has to offer. Stayed in several different rooms over the last few years and all were clean and in excellent shape. Hotel has been upgrading the property and it shows. Great pool in middle of the hotel. Has full kitchen and washer and dryer in the room which was great for the family. Sleeps 6 easily and would recommend for family.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank williamv1941
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

We stayed at the Galleon for 9 days. I booked through a private owner. The Resort is awesome best location I think on the Island. The setting is beautiful and you are walking distance to everything. We love all the bars and resteraunts on the boardwalk and marina area so you are literally steps from those. There is a nice pool and 2 tiki bars. I found everyone very helpful and friendly except for the bartenders. Not so much there. I found that interesting as I use to bartend and I made good money at it. BUt you need to be friendly and have fun with the customers. So we did not spend our money there. We went to the other resteraunt bars for happy hour. That would be my only complaint of the Resort. It is also spotless. Our room was clean and they are always cleaning all day long around the Resort. We will for sure be back next year!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MaggieandCody
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

the condo's on site are beautiful inside and make our stay really comfortable. The rooms can house a large number of people 6-8. They were clean, nice pool and bar area. The set back of this place is that it is a time share; so if you are staying there you are probably staying under the "owners" name. This makes it difficult to find your room (ours was under 2 different owner's) - they blatantly gave access to owner names, names of other guess. It is like the front desk staff is in the dark. The management company that runs the property needs to be replaced....

For the price, i would not stay here again. Plenty of other quaint properties in the island.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends