“Marina”

Ranked #46 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Florida
“Marina”
Reviewed June 17, 2008

We stayed at the marina. Nice, showers were good. Ice, and marina store could have been better. Dock masters were great. Maybe just make sure there is ice for sale in the ice chests. At least in the mornings.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed May 30, 2008

The room in the G building was filthy. There was mold in the bathroom.The rug was dirty. I had to call for maintenance twice to come and kill the ants. The final crowning glory was the fact that I ended up with about a dozen bed-bug bites. Out of the six days of my stay the maid service (?) came only three times. The explanation - if they come once and you are in the room they don't come back!
The pool area was OK, but the 'hot' tub/spa jacuzzi or whatever it is called was never hot because the heater didn't work, and fixing it didn't seem to be an option.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Shoddy quality of room and service.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank PghBob
Maryland
Reviewed May 20, 2008

This is a great place to stay in Key West. You can walk to everything. The folks that talk about the G Building - well that is the economy building- CHECK WHAT YOU ARE GETTING. There are other building such as C, B, A and F that have tremenous units and views. The average price for a unit for night hovers around $500. If you are not paying that much, I would find out what you are getting. If you pay bargain basement, you are going to get the G Building.

The Galleon was wonderful facilities. A great pool, hot tub and a small beach built on the Gulf Waters. What a treat to get away and enjoy yourselves.

We have stayed at the Galleon for the past 10 years and would never stay anyplace else.

• Liked — Great view, facilities and staff
  • Disliked — Tight parking
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed March 28, 2008

I was soo excited to be returning back to Key West, FL for a celebration of my engagement. I was treated HORRIBLY to say the least. The concierge was rude and sneared in my face to pay up maitenance charges for the time share owner. He would not release room keys until the whole matter was cleared up. The whole time we stayed there expecting a quiet and relaxing stay we got quite the opposite. Loud banging construction, saws buzzing at the crack of dawn, doing construction on all of the rooms around me. One the third day, I was notified they would be doing construction in my room all day and I needed to leave and they would not reimburse me for the day I couldnt stay in the room and refused to move me to another room. When I went down to complain to the assistant manager he started screaming beligierent in my face threatening to call the cops and kick me out if i didnt like it. I left three messages for the manager to call me back and he surprisingly never did. The Galleon ruined what was supposed to be a peaceful, relaxing, celebratory trip. Due to all the stress and were totally unapologetic due to all the noise and aggrivation. I have never been treated so poorly in my life. I would never wish this kind of degrading and embarassing treatment on anyone. I even wrote a letter bc of how upset I was and to this day no one ever responded with an apology. The rooms were filthy, dusty and dirty! The maids never came to clean once during my week stay. This place is a filth hole with nasty hotel staff who degrade their guests. Steer clear of this dump.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the rude staff and filthy rooms
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kiki12345
los angeles
Reviewed March 4, 2008

We got stuck in G-23 with no other rooms available during the boat show weekend and it absolutely ruined our trip. The floors were so dirty they turned my feet black, the room smelled like mold or must, the noise of the scooter rental below our room was ridiculous, as was the sound of the person in the unit above us. The shower was almost too small to use and the water pressure was ridiculous. On the last day, there were even ants in the room. The beach is very small and was in the shade after 2pm. The bar service was very slow and they don't let you charge to the room so you have to bring cash or a credit card while you are swimming and sunning!

Worst of all, the service was horrible. They told us it was a wonderful room before we made the reservations and when I asked if there were any bad things about the room, they never told us it overlooked the scooter shop or the garbage bin, nor did they tell us about the super-small bathroom. On the last day of the trip, a friend dropped off a little present for me at the front desk. They never told me about the package and let me check out without giving it to me. What's worse, when my friend contacted me the next day and I told them what happened, they told the friend they had no record of my staying there, nor did they have the package!

They ruined my trip to Key West!!!!!!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — see comments
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank travellingatty
Atlanta
Reviewed January 7, 2008

We exchanged into the Galleon thru RCI and stayed in a 2 BR suite with another couple. They put us in the "worst view" 2 br suite (garden view 2nd floor) but it still had a nice view of the ocean from our patio. Here are THE PROS: the location was unbeatable. We were a few blocks from Mallory Square (see the Cat Man show!) and had water on 2 sides of the property. The Galleon has a marina which is part of a larger marina with restaurants, cruises, and fishing excursions right at our fingertips. The grounds are also well maintained with lots of decking and lounge chairs along the water. There was tiki bar, an adequate pool, and a rooftop platform for viewing amazing sunsets that was awesome. THE CONS: the unit was built on the 70s. Many updates had been done but the whirlpool tub was clean but in bad shape. The furniture was nice and clean and the unit was clean when we got there except the floors were dirty (walking barefoot got your feet black). The staff is not overly helpful and they have a lot of rules that are in place because a few people ruined it for the rest of us. And the workout room was horrible - broken equipment and a strong smell of mold.
Overall - if you want a nice clean place to stay in a perfect location, go to the Galleon and have the time of your life.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Age
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank gt_linz
Ohio
Reviewed December 12, 2007

The Galleon is a gem! We stayed there before and will definately come back. The location is great. The pool and tiki bar is the best. You can't beat it!

• Liked — location, decor, pool, beach, tiki bar, service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family