“Galleon is fantastic”

The Galleon Resort And Marina
Ranked #46 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed May 20, 2008

This is a great place to stay in Key West. You can walk to everything. The folks that talk about the G Building - well that is the economy building- CHECK WHAT YOU ARE GETTING. There are other building such as C, B, A and F that have tremenous units and views. The average price for a unit for night hovers around $500. If you are not paying that much, I would find out what you are getting. If you pay bargain basement, you are going to get the G Building.

The Galleon was wonderful facilities. A great pool, hot tub and a small beach built on the Gulf Waters. What a treat to get away and enjoy yourselves.

We have stayed at the Galleon for the past 10 years and would never stay anyplace else.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed March 28, 2008

I was soo excited to be returning back to Key West, FL for a celebration of my engagement. I was treated HORRIBLY to say the least. The concierge was rude and sneared in my face to pay up maitenance charges for the time share owner. He would not release room keys until the whole matter was cleared up. The whole time we stayed there expecting a quiet and relaxing stay we got quite the opposite. Loud banging construction, saws buzzing at the crack of dawn, doing construction on all of the rooms around me. One the third day, I was notified they would be doing construction in my room all day and I needed to leave and they would not reimburse me for the day I couldnt stay in the room and refused to move me to another room. When I went down to complain to the assistant manager he started screaming beligierent in my face threatening to call the cops and kick me out if i didnt like it. I left three messages for the manager to call me back and he surprisingly never did. The Galleon ruined what was supposed to be a peaceful, relaxing, celebratory trip. Due to all the stress and were totally unapologetic due to all the noise and aggrivation. I have never been treated so poorly in my life. I would never wish this kind of degrading and embarassing treatment on anyone. I even wrote a letter bc of how upset I was and to this day no one ever responded with an apology. The rooms were filthy, dusty and dirty! The maids never came to clean once during my week stay. This place is a filth hole with nasty hotel staff who degrade their guests. Steer clear of this dump.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kiki12345
Reviewed March 4, 2008

We got stuck in G-23 with no other rooms available during the boat show weekend and it absolutely ruined our trip. The floors were so dirty they turned my feet black, the room smelled like mold or must, the noise of the scooter rental below our room was ridiculous, as was the sound of the person in the unit above us. The shower was almost too small to use and the water pressure was ridiculous. On the last day, there were even ants in the room. The beach is very small and was in the shade after 2pm. The bar service was very slow and they don't let you charge to the room so you have to bring cash or a credit card while you are swimming and sunning!

Worst of all, the service was horrible. They told us it was a wonderful room before we made the reservations and when I asked if there were any bad things about the room, they never told us it overlooked the scooter shop or the garbage bin, nor did they tell us about the super-small bathroom. On the last day of the trip, a friend dropped off a little present for me at the front desk. They never told me about the package and let me check out without giving it to me. What's worse, when my friend contacted me the next day and I told them what happened, they told the friend they had no record of my staying there, nor did they have the package!

They ruined my trip to Key West!!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank travellingatty
Reviewed January 7, 2008

We exchanged into the Galleon thru RCI and stayed in a 2 BR suite with another couple. They put us in the "worst view" 2 br suite (garden view 2nd floor) but it still had a nice view of the ocean from our patio. Here are THE PROS: the location was unbeatable. We were a few blocks from Mallory Square (see the Cat Man show!) and had water on 2 sides of the property. The Galleon has a marina which is part of a larger marina with restaurants, cruises, and fishing excursions right at our fingertips. The grounds are also well maintained with lots of decking and lounge chairs along the water. There was tiki bar, an adequate pool, and a rooftop platform for viewing amazing sunsets that was awesome. THE CONS: the unit was built on the 70s. Many updates had been done but the whirlpool tub was clean but in bad shape. The furniture was nice and clean and the unit was clean when we got there except the floors were dirty (walking barefoot got your feet black). The staff is not overly helpful and they have a lot of rules that are in place because a few people ruined it for the rest of us. And the workout room was horrible - broken equipment and a strong smell of mold.
Overall - if you want a nice clean place to stay in a perfect location, go to the Galleon and have the time of your life.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank gt_linz
Reviewed December 12, 2007

The Galleon is a gem! We stayed there before and will definately come back. The location is great. The pool and tiki bar is the best. You can't beat it!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed October 22, 2007

We loved the resort with the small beach, pool, marina, and bar. There could be some small updates with the units, but overall we were pleased. The big problem was the night before we left. We came in around 11:30 and the airconditioner was not working, and by this time there wasn't anyone at the front desk. I called security which was listed for emergency. He basically told me that no one would come that late to fix the airconditioner. It was 80 degrees in the room and climbing. It was miserable. We didn't sleep, and my 3 year old coughed all night because he was so hot. I kept calling and finally somerone came an hour before check out time the next morning, and looked at it and left. We were sweating trying to pack our bags, and then they had the nerve to call and rudely tell us that it was ten minutes after ten and we needed to get out. This was the final straw.
It is a nice palce to stay with a great location, but beware if you have an issue or problem; don't expect it to be addressed in a timely manner.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family