“Always great visits”

Eden House
Ranked #8 of 51 Hotels in Key West
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 22, 2010

This past trip was my husband and my fifth visit to the Eden House. We have also stayed at the Island City House, Santa Maria Suites, and rented on Key West, but we always seem to keep coming back to the Eden House (though the mentioned places were lovely as well). We have stayed in the loft deluxe four times and this past time went for an apartment. I really liked having the (very basic) kitchen in the apartment for a longer stay.
The Eden House has a funky vibe that some may not like, but we love. There is always incense burning and hammocks to be had, and the focus is on relaxation and/or alcohol, depending on the time of day. The low-end rooms are rather basic (like hostel type rooms, but hey, they are cheap and clean!), so if you enjoy spending a lot of time in your room relaxing, I recommend upgrading to a deluxe or apartment room. The staff is (usually) lovely, and the owner, Mike, is cool. Everyone is always happy to help you. The residential setting is great, and the hotel rents bikes with big comfy seats - this is a must for getting around KW. You do not need a scooter or a golf cart, KW is completely flat so even the most out of shape will never be out of breath.

We also highly recommend Azur, the restaurant next door, for any meal but especially for breakfast. Get a coupon for 20% off at the front desk. Great fresh Med-inspired options and lots of cool things (like variations on eggs benedict) that you have never seen before and should try.

So those are most of the pros, now for the cons.
The beds suck. Mike, if you are reading this, PLEASE get new beds. The existing ones are way too hard (well, some of you may like that, but we, and the people we have spoken with about it, don't). This is not a deal breaker for us as we love the place otherwise.
The pool area can fill up with people quickly (it prob isn't big enough). Every hotel has its own culture, and a lot of people who stay at EH seem to hang out by the pool all day, or at least reserve chairs all day. Awesome if you like that, but not the greatest when you are coming back from other things and want do jump in the pool. We go to Fort Zach to swim mostly.
And it has gotten a little pricey for what you get lately. Look for specials (like the one I am seeing above from Tripadvisor!) to help keep the cost down.
Overall, recommended!

4  Thank WrldTrav-7
edenhouse, Owner at Eden House, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2010

Glad you guys enjoy the Eden House vibe. I'm a big fan of the incense too. Just a short note to address the mattresses. I can't get rid of them since they are pretty pricy and nearly everyone loves them. If you will note the latest review 'the comfy beds'. Maybe this will help ease the pain. I will remove the CAN of peas under the mattress. Next, if you would remind us the next time you make your reservation with us that the mattresses are too hard, we can put on a extra thick soft mattress cover and this might help. It would not be a problem and we would love to do it for you. Again, it is always nice having the 'regulaaaars' return.

See ya soon, Mike and the gang

Write a ReviewReviews (1,827)

Reviewed June 17, 2010

And so Key West! This feels like a home away from home. Great to ride bikes. Nothing is too far. Shady streets and night blooming jasmine. Rooms are clean. Pool is cool. All great!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Caroline34345
Reviewed June 7, 2010

The staff is top notch. The common areas are well maintained. It's several blocks off Duval St. and in a quiet neighborhood. The only downside is that the rooms are small for the price. We upgraded and it was well worth it. We went just to relax and hung out by the pool and in the hammocks and porch swing on the premises. They also get two thumbs up for their "green" efforts...recycling, water conservation, etc. Awesome place!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank clemail2389
Reviewed June 6, 2010

Loved this hotel. Great location; staff was hospitable and kind. Character of hotel enhanced the visit to this beautiful little community.

Stayed: May 2010
3  Thank ClaireMonet
Reviewed June 2, 2010

The Eden House was amazing. It is perfectly situated within walking distance of everything you would want to do but is still tucked away on a quiet street so you can get away from it all and relax. The pool area is beautiful and we loved the hammocks and patio swings. The staff is very helpful and attentive. I don't think there is any other place I would rather stay in Key West

4  Thank lisamarievda
Reviewed May 26, 2010

May 2010 was my 2nd stay at the Eden House (the first May 2008) and in two years when I go to KW again, I'll be staying at the Eden House. I love the Eden House because of it's location, value, and atmosphere. I believe it's 6 blocks from Duval and 4-5 from the wharf. So very close to all the main attractions yet quiet when you need to get some shut eye. I personally am a huge fan of renting a bike during my stay and riding where I want to go. You can rent from Eden House if you desire. You can also walk - I just prefer a bike. The room I was in this past time was a private room - no tv, fridge, microwave and had a double bed. A friend did stay with me so it was a little cozy, but the price was right. It's amazing how much some of the hotels cost down there. One thing to be aware of is the shower in the private rooms is in the bedroom part. I'm sure this would be fine for couples, but a little awkward for friends. The room had plenty of space for our things too. There was a desk with shelves above and also a bookcase with I think 5 shelves on it. We did spend one day in the pool - they provide towels and floaties/noodles if you need them. They have happy hour every day and I believe this includes beer and I know there is vodka too. Outside of happy hour you can purchase beer for $1. Pretty cheap for KW! Our rooms were clean and staff was pleasant. Even ran into one of the girls down at Finnegans Wake (Irish Bar just 2 blocks down - excellent pizza) and talked to her for a bit. There isn't continental breakfast, but the Azur restaurant is right next door. Overall, I enjoyed my stay and can't wait to come back in a couple years.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank annieski327
Reviewed May 25, 2010

We really liked Eden house.
Friendly staff, free happy hour at the pool, jacuzzi, great common area...
Our room was really tiny (it didn't bother us and they have bigger rooms

3  Thank emelieochjohan