“We will go back”

Eden House
Ranked #9 of 51 Hotels in Key West
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 2, 2005

We stayed at Eden house for 5 nights in mid May. From my experience, believe the blurb the Eden House people wrote about their Inn. It really is clean, the rates are reasonable and the staff really do care about their guests. Our room was the most basic they offer, more cozy than fancy, but we were still well taken care of with cold drinks, advice about tours and restaurants, reservations, and as many clean dry towels as we could use. The staff was super attentive without being pushy and I really felt like their efforts were sincere. The courtyard area is very pretty with flowers and waterfalls. Like everything, the pool area was spotless. The pool itself is modest, but pleasant for floating around in and the spa was big enough for 8 and very relaxing. The hammocks were all double sized with pillows and they were well positioned in the shade. The other guests were friendly and happy to chat, or just smile and leave us alone depending. Very nice all around. My only gripe was that things got rowdy in the pool area around happy hour time (maybe 5-8pm) with some guests enjoying themselves a little too much and being loud. It always quieted down again by dinnertime and was very quiet at night. We were traveling on a budget and were happy to have a the option of a standard room with a reasonable rate, but it was a little dark. If we could, next time we'd get a little big bigger room on the second floor with better windows. The inn is close enough to walk everywhere and it was an easy cab ride from the airport ($15). There are plenty of restaurants within a few blocks, but we had a little trouble finding a good breakfast spot. That is a Key West thing, not a slight on Eden house. We'll go back if we can!

• Stayed: May 2005
2  Thank Kate88chicago
Write a ReviewReviews (1,796)

Reviewed June 1, 2005

Did a lot of research and upon recommendation by family member, chose The Eden House. We chose a small, but adequate room (#215). Room was clean, except for two areas: toilet needs a good scrubbing and our blanket was soiled, which I didn't notice until 3 days into our stay. No other issues.

The tropical gardens at The Eden House are amazing. Flowers, bushes, trees really make the place a tranquil haven. Pool and surrounding area kept very nice. We didn't partake in daily complimentary happy hour. The Eden House was quite full during our stay, due to the holiday weekend. Previous reviews mention the hushing of loud guests. Not this time. There were private parties going on at the pool late hours each night.

Perfect weather, upper 80s-low 90s with not a rain drop. Rented bikes from The Eden House, rode down to Southernmost Point. Spent a few hours poolside at Atlantic Shores. Went on a half-day fishing boat, Tortuga. Wished we could have done that again. Great meals at El Meson de Pepe (Cuban), Jamaica Me Hungry (Jamaican), fish & chips at Crabby Dick's, and the best meal, by far, at Conch Republic. Daily happy hour and raw oysters at Half Shell Raw Bar. Also visits to Schooner's Wharf, Monty's, and Turtle Kraals. Watching the Minimal Regatta at Schooner's Wharf on Sunday was lots of fun.

Caught sunset celebrations at Mallory Square, walked Duval St. every night. Stops at Sloppy Joe's, Fat Tuesday's. T-shirt from Hog's Breath. Long walk back, but definitely do-able.

Had a great time, but 4 days was enough. Would I go back? Maybe - to fish more, and next time I'd check out the other hotels & inns while there to see what they offer, while staying at The Eden House, of course.

I would definitely recommend The Eden House.

4  Thank Reelgal
Reviewed May 29, 2005

I stayed at the Eden house with two other couples last december. This place is smaller, more private, relaxed and beautiful. Rooms are small so be prepared for that. You may feel cramped in a regular small sixed room. One of our couples actually got a bigger room once we were there. There is no tv in the small rooms and the bathroom,shower, and sink are all in a seperate spot in the room. May bother some, but we didn't care. We came in late at night and were a bit loud, hotel staff didn't like that, this is a quiet hotel at night. But of course there were six of us all coming in drunk and loud. Hotel staff was always friendly and helpful though. We go to Key West about once a year and would stay here again. The pool is pretty, they have a hot tub also as well as hammocks to lounge in. The grounds of the hotel are well maintained. There is also a house cat on the property named Priscilla who is very sweet. We were all very pleased with our stay. We are a group of well traveled couples and have been many places. This Eden house suited all of us just fine and was beautiful.

• Stayed: December 2004
2  Thank carlawed
Reviewed May 26, 2005

Where do I start with this amazing little place - I think Paradise was named after the Eden House. I stayed in the loft apartment overlooking the pool and had a fantastic stay.

From the very helpful cheerful young lady at check in with the complimentary cold bottle of beer, who kept me supplied with umbrellas, band aids, sewing kit and of course the obligatory Advil (after a heavy night at the Schooner Wharf Bar!) to the guys who kept the pool side clean, tidy and washed down and the lovely housekeeper who managed to keep me tidy (not an easy feat), the staff were incredible.

The Loft apartment was a dream, certainly totally spacious enough for me (as a single). The only downside was that I was alone as it was lovely and romantic climbing the spiral staircase to bed and with a lovely balcony lit up overlooking the pool. The room was very clean and the bathroom and kitchenette kept stocked with essentials.

The pool was heated and the laying next to it with the waterfall tumbling into it and climbing into a beautifully warm jacuzzi in the rain with a complimentary drink at Happy Hour made my vacation one of the best I have had in years. I would not hesitate to stay at the Eden House again (always assuming they have rooms of course as it is very popular - but I can see why).

Far enough from the action to get a good nights sleep but close enough to walk to Duval ( a few blocks) or the Schooner Wharf Bar (my new favourite place). The staff will easily recommend so many places to visit/do/see but check the Eden House website which is kept updated with all sorts of information.

If you like individual attention, a wide range of different, quirky, interesting, romantic rooms, a staff that treat you by name and not number, and all the little things that make a good guesthouse great (such as complimentary happy hour) then try and grab a room (any room!) here, if not head to the big hotels in new town and get treated like just another dollar bill.

Thanks Mike and all the other staff for making the Eden House probably THE best place to stay in KW.

• Stayed: May 2005
3  Thank mistresssinderella
Reviewed May 24, 2005

We picked Eden House for our 10th anniversary for it's advertised beauty, quaintness and peacefulness. While it definitely was clean and landscaped beautifully, we hardly had much of a chance to enjoy it. Due to a group of about 4 rowdy couples and the fact that our room was on the ground floor facing the pool, unfortunately there was a lot of noise. Because the pool is small once you get ten people in it - especially when they are pushing each other around playfully there really isn't much more room for anyone else.
While I probably should have complained about it I felt that the staff should have monitored it much more closely especially when they brought the "happy-hour" tray out - they saw what was going on for themselves.
The staff was very nice but really didn't seemed too concerned about the noise level or everyone's comfort. Since we were on the bottom floor, we heard every noise coming from above. I guess the floors are tiled or wood which caused us to hear every arguement and every walk across the floor and the tremendous amount of furniture movement the people above had to make (for some reason) at late hours in the night and early in the morning. Our next visit this July we're going somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2004
13  Thank Ellengirl
Reviewed May 22, 2005

We just returned from a 3 night stay at the Eden House and absolutely loved it. I had stayed there about 9 years ago and didn't even hesitate in looking for another place to stay. We went with another couple along with my husband and all stayed in the apartment facing the street which featured a private full length balcony with a porch swing. Everyone was very impressed with the room and service and of course the happy hour at 4pm. The bicycle rentals were wonderful to tour Key West and it is always a pleasure to speak with Mike the owner because you can tell he loves the people and Key West. It was wonderful to walk to Duval Street every night without having to take a cab but it is the surroundings of the Eden House and the friendly staff that are so willing to accomodate that made our vacation so wonderful. I am a full time travel agent and would recommend this property without hesitation! The guys certainly loved the hammocks!

Hope to be back sooner this time
Thank you very much Mike and Lucy (I was the girl that screamed with you about the not so funny joke played on us with the rubber snake!)

Cristel
Ontario Canada

1  Thank tazzy12
A TripAdvisor Member
Nashville, TN
Reviewed May 16, 2005

My husband and I just returned from a week's vacation in the Keys. We were completely undecided where to get away, as we had been to all the "exotic" places one might have on their "wish list." Maui, for me, prior to experiencing the Keys, had been my destination of choice as we had vacationed there several times in the past. We decided we didn't want to spend so much of our time on a plane (coming from Nashville), and we found trip advisor, by far, the most helpful resource in selecting our destination.

After reading countless trip advisor reviews, and using Priceline - we found roundtrip tickets from Nashville to Ft. Lauderdale and a rental car for a week for just a little over $300.00 for the two of us! Can't beat that price especially with gas prices well over $2.00/gallon. With our travel booked, we decided once in Ft. Lauderdale, we'd leisurely drive to the southernmost part of the US - Key West, FL. I was a little reluctant as I had only been there one time (at the age of 6) and my only memory was the 7 mile bridge, and at that age, it seemed a lifetime before I saw land!

Finding a place to stay became a challenge for me after reading good to very ugly reviews of hotels, resorts, B&B's and guesthouses in the Keys, but I kept running across all these wonderful reviews of The Eden House.

I went on their website, and clicked on their webcam several times before booking our reservations. We have always found comfort having been the "resort" type traveler staying at heavily advertised, well-known hotels...so selecting a guesthouse and having only the opinion of other people we didn't know was pretty scary...you just never know what you're getting in to. I kept second guessing these reviews thinking someone put these people up to it to gain advertisement for locations - I guess that's the cynical side of me.

But...long story short - The Eden House and our trip to the Keys was by far the best vacation we have ever experienced. The accomodations and lush surroundings at The Eden House are impeccable; the staff are down to earth "real" people - not your typical starched, uniformed mechanical employees you find at a resort/hotel. This staff truly cares - which you don't find too often these days. They go above and beyond customer service to ensure your vacation is the best.

There are many things to do in the Keys - and a car is just not necessary once you get there - so my advise to you would be to drop your rental off if you drive from Miami or another part of FL...get ready for bike rides, rent a moped, walk, take some boat trips, deep sea fish... (there are plenty of charters to choose from).

The only negative thing that I will say (and this comes from a "southern" raised individual who deals with the public on a daily basis and understands that customer service is paramount to the success of any business) is that a handful of the wait staff at area restaurants and local shops were some of the rudest individuals I have ever run across...I kept thinking, come on people - you're in a beautiful part of the world, you have sun shining on your face every day and you have customers putting money in your pocket! If you're havin' a bad day - don't take it out on the hand that feeds you...

All and all...visit Key West and stay at The Eden House. As I told the staff at Eden when we were checking out...we will be back...and they simply replied with a genuine smile, "we know you will!"

16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member