“Eden House lived up to all the reviews!”
Review of Eden House

Eden House
Ranked #8 of 51 Hotels in Key West
GreenLeadersSilver level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Eden House lived up to all the reviews!”
Reviewed July 1, 2004

The Eden House was everything I expected and more. My husband and I just returned from a short stay in KW and we were more impressed with the Eden House than any other place we have ever stayed. A few years ago we stayed at a large, expensive hotel in KW and the Eden House was twice as nice for half the price. Our room was spacious and very clean, the grounds were beautiful and the staff was warm and welcoming. I would reccomend the EH to anyone going to Key West.

• Stayed April 2004
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
Sarasota, FL
Reviewed June 28, 2004

We stayed at the Eden House from June 24 - 27. When we first checked in, the kid at the front desk (not sure of his name) wasn't the friendliest, kind of cold and indifferent. He gave us our room key and told us where our room was. When we walked into our room, we put our bags down, looked down on the floor to see a cockroach run across the floor!! YIKES! I'm freaking out and go back out to the front desk and tell the kid that we just killed a cockroach in our room. He just looked at me like I was crazy. He then asks me what I would like him to do about it. I didn't know what to say! I just told him that I was kind of surprised to find a cockroach in my room. He then told me that they are not cockroaches, they are Palmetto bugs, and if I'm staying in Florida, I need to learn to "cohabitate" with them.
The following day I awoke to find Maggie at the front desk (THANK GOODNESS). I told her everything that had occurred the day before and she sincerely apologized. She said that she would talk to Mike about the issue when he returned from his vacation.
That was a MAJOR disappointment. The minor thing that bothered me was that we had asked that our showerhead be cleaned off (calcium build up - due to hard water), and that was never done.
We go to Key West every June to celebrate our wedding anniversary and like to try different B&B's. I was disappointed in the Eden House.
Although in the end, Maggie gave us a partial credit back to our charge card, which we were thankful for. The grounds are beautiful but I don't think we'll be staying at the Eden House again in the future.

6 Thank Lisa S
, Front Desk Manager at Eden House, responded to this review, July 6, 2004
We do have our share of bugs down here in the tropics, and occasionally, during the rainy season, they do like to find their way into dry places. As life would have it, those dry places happen to be our shelters.

Believe it or not, bugs actually take to the skies during their mating season in the summer!! So very, very rarely they do end up in a room. We do spray when necessary, and our rooms are immaculately clean. So, they are very seldom a problem for us at the Eden House. But because of their prevalence, they are commonplace to us locals. i believe that this is why Carlos acted so nonchalantly.

That being said, there is no excuse for indifference and lack of compassion. This situation has beed addressed, and dealt with. We at the Eden House consider not only a mutual respect, but a friendly relationship between our staff and guests something that makes us the comfortable place that we are.

I personally would like to clarify that my stating that i would tell Mike about the situation on his return, was to reassure a guest that had previously established communication with Mike. It was in no way to defer responsibility. It is not the case that when Mike is out of town, the Eden House can't function.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 22, 2004

For five years we had stayed at the same hotel in KW.....at the opposite end of the island. With an infant in tow this year, we needed a shorter walk each evening and found Eden House. We were a little reluctant to change, since we loved our other hotel so much. But the Eden House proved to be a fantastic choice and we now recommend it to all of our friends and will stay there from now on!

We had a first floor apartment which offered a separate living and sleeping area, perfect for when our baby was napping and we wanted to watch TV or chat. The porches are large and private, the room was very clean with friendly staff. The pool was clean and the happy hour by the pool and in the hot tub was fun and a great way to meet people!

A short walk to where the action is, but you are far enough off the main drag that it is very quiet.

Loved it!

• Stayed December 2003
2 Thank sharibrat
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 22, 2004

Hmmmm. Maybe I should not join all the good folks who recommend staying at the Eden House.
I just might find myself closed out when I call for reservations.
But, then, how many Key West reviews mention the owner's name in the review? Or the wonderful employees by name? How many reviews are replied to by the owner himself? Very few, indeed!
Although Mike Eden was on vacation when we stayed at the Eden House last year, and we have never met him, the rest of the staff made us feel like we were "home". From Bob's first email responding to my questions, to being met at the front door by Maggie, and Carlos to clean up after two very messy people, this is the only place we will ever stay in Key West.
We stayed in the "budget" rooms, and although not as modern as the rest of the rooms, it was kept spotless as well as the shared bathroom. (Thank you, Carlos)
Only complaint about our room, were the stairs to get to our room. Very bad on my old knees. Our fault. Not the staffs. Next time.....lower room only!
And, because we were celebrating our anniversary, our room came with two Eden House glasses and a bottle of champagne. A lovely touch, indeed! And one that two senior citizens will not soon forget.
There are many lovely places to stay in Key West.
Many very highly recommended. But, for us, the only place to stay.....Eden House!
Thanks again, Staff, for making our stay so wonderul.
Butterkup and Stan

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
atlanta
Reviewed June 20, 2004

We just returned from our first stay at the Eden House and Key West. Like the other reviewers, we totally fell in love with the Eden House. The staff (Carlos, Maggie & Big Bill) were awesome. They were very helpful and went out of their way to make sure our stay was enjoyable. The grounds are beautfully landscaped and there are plenty of hammmocks on the property. If you want a great steak & a romantic resturant (Micheal's) is #1. The steak was unbelievable. (Thanks Carlos for the recomendation). We will be returning to the Eden House in Sept. We are already counting the days!!

Verona, WI
Reviewed June 19, 2004

We just got back from Key West and thoroughly enjoyed the Eden House. Everything that we'd read in the previous reviews was true. From the moment we walked in the front door we felt welcome and right at home. The staff was marvelous -- very friendly and helpful. The location is great -- close enough to walk to all the "hot spots" and dining but at the same time quiet, serene, and relaxing. We were able to meet other visitors but also found secluded spots to be alone. I highly recommend it.

Oregon
Reviewed June 16, 2004

We greatly enjoyed our stay at Eden House. Perfect location, beautiful grounds, nice & clean rooms (stayed in 501), and very helpful staff (hats off to Carlos for finding us parking & all the tips.) Although Oregon is a long way from Key West, we hope to make it back & will return to Eden House.

Tips:
1. If you like extra space & they're available, spring for the larger rooms. We peeked into a smaller room & found it to be very nice, but a tad small. Regardless, I would still stay here.
2. Upon arrival...park your car, unload it, & don't look back. Rent bikes from the front desk and enjoy exploring Key West. You can cover a lot of ground with litte effort or time and there are plenty of bike stalls for locking up & taking off on foot.
3. If you can't find free parking on-site (1st come, 1st served) or on a nearby sidestreet, don't worry. A parking structure sits within two blocks and it's only $10 for 24 hrs. Park it, leave it, and enjoy your stay.
4. Read through the Eden House/Key West notebook in your room. Provides nice background info & great dining tips. Breakfast at Pepe's is an affordable must.
5. If you stay in upper level room, please show consideration for your downstairs neighbors. Rearranging the furniture at 11:30 P.M. is NEVER a good idea! And tread lightly - Regardless of how thin you really are, if you're stomping around like a hippo....you'll never shake the image!!!

1 Thank rich1963