“Paradise Found”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Batavia, New York
“Paradise Found”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We've only been home a few hours, but I wanted to write this review while the particulars were fresh in my mind.

We booked 3 rooms (3 couples) for this past week, including New Year's Eve/Day, based primarily what we had read on tripadvisor.com. None of the 6 of us ever had been to Key West, but we knew we wanted to be off Duval (yet able to walk or bike to it) in a small hotel with a classic Old Key West feel. We knew in advance this was going to be a bit pricey, being the holidays, but Eden House exceeded every expectation.

At check-in, each guest is offered a complimentary 12 oz. can of liquid refreshment; after that, they're a buck a can. Each room was given a voucher for a cup of coffee and a fresh-baked croissant from the Old Town Bakery (worth the very short walk!) Great coffee, iced tea, and hot water (with tea and cocoa) are available in the lobby 24/7. Also ready for your no-charge use: daily newspapers, menus from a ton of restaurants, maps and brochures, yoga mats, sunscreen and bug spray. Guests enjoy a serve-yourself Happy Hour daily by the pool and a basket of apples and oranges in the lobby every morning. Pool towels are abundant. We rented the sturdiest bikes I've ever seen for 3 days for $25 (each bike). We printed our airline boarding passes the night before we left in the "business center"/library.

Each room is delightfully unique, so it's hard to say that all the rooms do or don't have something. Many have a microwave and mini-fridge. Some have porches (some with swings), some have decks or balconies. Most have private bathrooms, but you can get some with shared facilities. Those rooms with private baths seem to come equipped with dispensers of shower gel, shampoo and conditioner mounted right in the showers (not the best quality I've experienced, so you may want to bring your own).

What every room does NOT have: A phone and a hairdryer. Bring your cell (you will anyway) and get a travel hairdryer, if that sort of thing is important to you on vacation. There ARE a few hairdryers that can be "signed out," and the front desk staff will call you a taxi, make a dinner reservation for you, call about a tour availability -- whatever. We are very grateful to Laura, Connor, Fritzie and the other staff who made our stay so incredibly enjoyable. We are sorry we didn't get to meet Mike Eden; he seems like a colorful character...!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed January 3, 2014

If you have never been to Key West, you have missed a wonderful time. If you have never been to Eden House, you have really missed something special. Eden House is quaint old hotel in the heart of the quaint old town in Key West. There are small rooms, medium and large ones too. You can stay in a cottage, loft, or a separate house next to the main hotel. No matter what, you get to share a beautifully manicured property with a heated pool and hot tub surrounded by a patio covered with comfortable lounge chairs. The hotel is smoke free and observes a 10pm to 10am quiet time. Sleeping in is a luxury. Our room was one of the smaller ones, but it was tastefully decorated and had a lovely new tiled shower. I think this place represents the laid back attitude of Key West very well. The staff is friendly, helpful and courteous. The front desk is manned 24/7. Fritzy on the desk from 3 to 11 was especially nice to us. Thanks. The desk people are happy to make reservations, call cabs or provide suggestions on what to do or what to eat. Eat. Did I mention, there are tons of excellent places to eat in Key West. At the Azur Restaurant, next door, you get 20% off Breakfast or Lunch with a coupon from Eden House. On our 3rd day, we were seriously considering extending our stay, but sadly, I could not because I had to get back to work. There is 100% chance that we will come back to Eden House again. Try it. You'll like it.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Private room. It was just fine, but the small deluxe rooms look to be very comfortab...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mrmachine
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Our family of 5 stayed in the 2 bedroom Conch House just before Christmas. What a glorious find! The Eden House is authentic Key West in architecture and hospitality. The location is superb - it is an easy walk to all the hot spots - the waterfront and Duval Street. Laura is a fabulous hostess and had plenty of local information to make our short stay a memorable one.
The accommodation is very comfortable and very quiet. There was ample room for the 5 of us - and our kids fought each other for the right to sleep on the air mattress. The 5 year old won that one!
There are loads of great restaurants nearby - we were spoiled for choice.
We cannot recommend Eden House highly enough. We felt like we were welcomed home, even though it was our first visit.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LibbyLovestoTravel
Bear
Reviewed December 30, 2013

This is my second review of Eden House. Went to Key West for the last part of Fantasy Fest and stayed at Eden House again. As always everything was fantastic. The property couldn't be nicer and the staff was wonderful. I would like to make special mention of Laura at the front desk. She could not have been nicer or done more to be helpful. There was a bit of a problem with our reservation but management resolved it at what I consider more than fair. You owe it to yourself to visit Key West and stay at the Eden House at least once. I promise you won't regret it.

On a side note: I read the bad reviews of Eden House just to laugh at the responses Mr. Eden gives these people. By not caving to those folks who seem to be seeking something for nothing he is really strengthening my resolve to stay there as much as possible. Please, Sir, never change your hotel or your attitude.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Orlando
Reviewed December 29, 2013

A very old friend called my husband and me in early October, saying let's go somewhere warm the week before Christmas. He lives in PA., near the New York border, and wanted somewhere warm, fun and interesting for his visit to Florida. We decided on Key West, a place I hadn't visited for twenty years or so, despite living in Florida.

After reading all the reviews on Trip Advisor I settled on Eden House, and after consulting the other two members of the party (or would that be escapees?) we booked the top floor of the Conch House, at Eden House, for our stay in Key West.

I was a tad leery, after finding that while it did have two separate bedrooms there was only one bathroom for three of us. I decided to wait and see how it would work out, after carefully checking, and finding, that there's another bathroom immediately below the Conch House in the pool area. Great...this might work out fine, after all!

We arrived about 12:30 pm and stopped by the hotel upon arrival, knowing we were too early for checkin. Laura was manning the desk and told us our rooms were ready, and offered us something to drink. She's extremely well informed and gave us all the pertinent information for our stay on the property, then escorted us to the Conch House.

Wow! Nice digs! The Conch House sits right at the foot of the pool area, and is sited within the trees, giving it a very private "feel". There's a separate entrance, behind a wooden fence, and one can come and go without entering the pool area per say. The parking lot is close to the building, so it's easy to come and go. The bathroom was a nice size, and immaculate, as was the entire "apartment". My favorite feature of the Conch House are the three porches. There's a porch on the side, immediately outside the den area, and it sits within a leafy bower of trees; great shade on this one. The second porch, or sundeck, is immediately outside the first bedroom, which our friend occupied. The third porch, my favorite, faced the street and was surrounded with trees. One could look down onto the street and enjoy the Christmas lights on all the houses and buildings in the evening. We spent three nights sitting on this porch, playing guitars, singing, and having a great time. I spent a lot of time in the wonderful swing on that porch, and loved every minute of it! We learned upon arrival that a Christmas Lighted Bicycle Parade would take place two nights that week, and were planning to attend. We were thrilled when the parade went right past Eden House as we sat on the porch one night. Sweet!

The staff is top notch, informative and friendly. They were quick with information and suggestions when asked. The Conch House was spotless, something I demand when traveling. There was no need to do my usual "inspection" for creatures upon arrival.

We couldn't have asked for a better place to stay in Key West, as it's centrally located, and within easy walking distance to Duval Street, and all that Key West has to offer.

Many thanks to all at Eden House. You made our "getaway" one we will remember, and we'll be back for future visits!

Room Tip: I may regret this, but go for the Conch House. Hope I've no trouble making reservations for our...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank TravelinBobcat
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

We loved the feel of this place. It felt more like an apartment block than hotel. The pool area was charming. It was the perfect temperature, although the hot tub was too hot but still nice. We lived happy hour between 4-5 which was complementary. The hammocks were very relaxing out back. Our room was very small. We had limited room to fit our suitcases and the bathroom was really small as well. We would of liked a bar fridge in our room. Overall a beautiful place to stay

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Belinda S
London
Reviewed December 21, 2013

There are a wide range of very different room types, this is not obvious if booked from a review or hotel broker sites. So check the actual hotel's own website first.

My room was a "private room", which is cosy, if quite small. However it was fine for my needs and well priced by comparison with others in this (expensive) location (Key West).

I was impressed by the laid-back nature of the hotel, with books on Buddha rather than Gideon bibles! It was quiet (which is what I wanted) during a slow week, I imagine it could be different during a busy one.

The poolside area is good, if a little crowded at times (and this was a quiet week). However there is another sun-deck as well.

The rooms have only venetian blinds and not curtains, I felt these were not entirely private (and they let some light through as well), but otherwise the compact room was excellent.

I did have a light bulb failure in the bathroom and it was not replaced otherwise the front desk service was excellent. The WiFi worked well.

I recommend taking breakfast at Harpoon Harrys (a couple of blocks away).

The location is excellent being walkable everywhere. I am not sure I would want to spend an entire week in Key West (I was there for 3 days) or indeed in any hotel in the "historic area" without getting claustrophobic - but this one is certainly an excellent choice to make.

Room Tip: Upper floor probably quieter, especially if facing the poolside.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo