“Welcome to paradise”

Eden House
Ranked #9 of 51 Hotels in Key West
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I stayed at the Eden House for five days in September 2013, taking advantage of their off-season September special. I was in room 221 on the corner. My windows overlooked the pool, which I loved. I had my own private bathroom. Great water pressure in stall shower. I had a fridge and microwave. Everything was immaculate. It is tiny, along the lines of a college dorm room, but I did not spend much time in the room. For myself it was fine, but two people will definitely want to go with the largest room they can afford. The pool and ambiance were wonderful, just what I needed and you can swim 24 hours a day. Friendly Eden house staff, lots of charm and attention to detail. Loved exploring the grounds, sitting on the porch swings and taking the staircases. Next time I would love to book one of the separate cottages surrounding the pool. You can rent bikes here and as Key West is definitely a bike culture go for it. I locked my bicycle all over Duval Street and the dock area and it was fine, and I greatly appreciated the bike coming home at night, as it is over a 15 minute walk from Duval. It is a quiet block. I was really sad to leave Eden House and will return! Make sure to catch a movie at Cinema Tropic, the hotel will give you a discount card and it is a wonderful little theatre. They also send you lots of newsy emails and e-newsletters with things to do and see. I loved the butterfly Sanctuary. Visited the dolphin research center in Marathon Key on the way home, wonderful to spend time with the dolphins. Enjoy your stay at the Eden House, I certainly did!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank RockawayRose

Reviewed September 19, 2013

I stayed in a 'European style' room at the Eden House for three nights in the beginning of September. While small, the room was all I needed and the price could not be beaten. I especially liked how the house keeper organized my things in her only foray into my more scattered approach. Every hook, nook, and cranny was cleverly used and suddenly the closet sized room was more than enough. The layout of the hotel is on the smaller, cozy side which I liked. The pool was pretty small for exercise but okay for lolly gagging and drinking the free sangria while munching on the peanut butter filled pretzels.

I bought a large bronze sun sculpture in the gift shop and when I opened it upon returning to my Miami home, I noticed a fairly large discoloration on the surface of the bronze veneer. I sent an image of the sculpture to Elizabeth, the General Manager of the hotel, asking for my credit card payment to be discounted as a result of this obvious marring. To my amazement she offered to send me a duplicate, free of charge, and promised that in the future each sculpture would be inspected prior to shipment. This was gracious, old school Key West personal treatment, not the sordidness of the dystopic Upper East Side. Are you listening Bentley Hotel???!!!! Sincerely Yours, The Honky Wanderer

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank honkywanderer
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Key West was the last stop on our American road trip and staying at Eden House was easily the accommodation highlight of our journey. Arriving after a very long drive, we immediately felt we had arrived in an oasis of calm on viewing the pool, hammocks and general ambience. A free beer on check in helped too!!
As in many American hotels, there wasn't any breakfast possible but tea and coffee available and a voucher for coffee and pastries at the bakery opposite. On the last morning, we went nextdoor to Azur and had the most memorable breakfast EVER and would advise people to go at least once!!
Rooms weren't huge but we weren't intending on spending time in the room when there was a complimentary happy hour around the pool once a day! Very helpful staff who on the morning of leaving, handed me a sheet of markers with interesting pllaces to stop off on the journey back to mainland Florida. In amongst these was Anne's Beach which again was another trip highlight, such a lovely idea.
Now we are back in England and saving our pennies to once again return to Key West and Eden house. Thank you for such a great memory.

2  Thank LOUISE1HAWTHORN
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

First visit decision was a last minute stab in the dark, made from what in 2005, was their quirky web presence, (and I must admit, a $99/night special). Flew into KW from Marco Island on a 6 seater with friends from Chicago. Room was not available until 3 so we snagged a hack to Duval Street where we bar hopped our way to the "hotel"....(I haven't found quite the word to describe Eden House yet). The four of us were, let's say, underwhelmed and hesitant to go in as we stood in front of the white-washed nondescript main building. Ok, what the hell, we strode in...to a small lobby with a small window and a large bearded guy behind the half wall. He looked up, "checkin' in?" I looked at the rest of our group who were trying to muster the grit to stay and not flee to the comfort and familiarity of of the big hotels 7 blocks away. "Yup" I said.

"OK", reservation names, and ya wanna beer or soda", (he reached under the counter to a cooler full of cans), which caused us all to laugh and broke the ice. "Follow me", the big guy says, and we exit the "lobby?", stage left down a dark wooden walkway bordered by lush tropical foliage into ........Eden. Wow! Utterly beautiful tropical garden setting, gorgeous pool, generous hot tub spa, and an enclave of varying size and style buildings in the background. We were stunned and now smiling as the stresses melted away. "This way" our guide says, as he leads us through the garden to one of the buildings. Here ya go folks, out key on a bottle opener chain, and we open the door to a modest and, I must say small but immaculate room that "uses every inch of available space". Tiny? yes. Uncomfortably so? No. Great bed, great shower, TV and microwave room are optional, but...hey! You're in Key West, waddaya need? Been back 4 times since, already booked for our 6th visit. Don't miss this uber cool hidden gem!

• Stayed: September 2013
7  Thank Dick J
edenhouse, Owner at Eden House, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dear Servicebyjordon,
You should be writing my newsletters! I couldn't have said it any better myself. A pleasantly surprised guest is just what we are looking for, though I think we had you with the cold beer at check-in. An afternoon at the local watering holes is a great way to start the Key West/Eden House experience. Set 'em up bartender... make mine a double double. I only have a long weekend.

See ya soon,
Mike and the gang

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Just completed our first trip to Key West and upon the advice of friencs we chose the Eden House as our place to stay. Indeed it was a great choice. From the time we checked in to the time we left we could not have experienced a better time. The staff was excellent in answering questions and pointing us as to places to eat, drink and enjoy.
The room we were given was ten paces from the pool and beautifully appointed. It was also as clean as can be. Probably the nicest lodgings I have ever had.

Room Tip: Can only speak for myself but am sure ALL rooms are exceptional.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank John A

Howdy John A,
Glad you enjoyed yourself with us on your first visit to Key West. A recommendation from a friend is what it's all about at the Eden House - 38 years and counting. Please thank your friend for us and we will continue to keep our eye on the ball. For us it is hospitality and when we enjoy what we do, it ain't a problem.

Happy hour starts at 4pm sharp so don't be late!
Mike and the gang

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Truly a GREAT trip. Outstanding location. Close enough to the action but far enough away. As mentioned by previous reviewers, the facility is very clean & well kept. We stayed for 9 days/8 nights and witnessed first hand the upkeep of the property... repairs, clean up, painting and the like. The pool and hot tub were wonderful especially after hours (when the kiddies were absent). They offer diverse accommodations (deluxe, lofts, apartments, etc.). We stayed in both a loft and an apartment. The rate was the same and both units were nice. The staff (namely Laura, Ryan, & Liz) are very friendly & helpful well beyond the immediate facility including but not limited to activities and tips on visiting Key West. Their helpfulness made ALL the difference!

Don't miss the free coffee by the front desk nor the complimentary Happy Hour. They've got bike rentals and FREE WiFi too (though the bike rentals are a bit rough). Planning to visit Eden House again whenever possible! The sooner the better!

Room Tip: Ask about the provided amenities in each room.
1  Thank Bea_Jersey
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The staff is great and entire facility is very clean and well kept. This was our first time at Eden House and we had room 202. Checking in I was a little concern that the room faced the main room and would have to put up with traffic noise; not one problem. i could not believe how quite the room turned out. Eden House is just far enough away from Duval; yet close enough to walk there and other areas without a problem. The room was clean and the bed was "killer" soft; just like our bed at home.

Thanks to the entire staff for a great stay.

Room Tip: Room 202 gave us the room size we desired, private bath and great bed!
2  Thank pan513