“Ok but not great”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Morehead City
“Ok but not great”
Reviewed November 8, 2003

Eden House was not exactly what my wife and I expected after reading the reviews that were posted on this site. The pool is small but adequate; however, the spa is large. We had a deluxe room and we were disappointed in the size of the room. There were no drawers in this room; it only had shelves. The room that we had was located right at the pool and we felt that we were on display every time we entered or departed from the room. There are other places for tourists that seem to offer better values for the money. The bath towels were small and thin (the kind you find in budget motels). The parking area is limited and full size cars are limited on the spaces that they can use. We suggest that you rent bicycles from another company because the two we rented were not comfortable.

• Stayed November 2004
4 Thank Arthur3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 27, 2003

Eden House gives you the perfect taste of Key West. Key West is an old town... it has none of the glitz of South Beach. Key West is funky.
Bright colors adorn some of the houses juxtaposed next to grand Southern Mansions. Key West is laid back. My first trip there, I packed 8 pair of shoes and wore one... my birkenstocks.

Eden House is all of this. You're greeted at the door with a warm smile and an ice cold beverage of your choice. Depending on how cheap you want to be, your room could be a newly rennovated one or one of the older ones. (They're slowly rennovating all of them.) I've stayed in both. The new ones are beautiful... pickled wood, tile floors, luxurious showers, funky stained glass, and comfy beds. The unrenovated are, of course, older. But the shower and tub are clean and the bed is comfy as well. In both cases, there's not a lot of room, but hey-- are you in Key West to stay in the room?? It's a place to lay your head and sleep off the hangover!

Speaking of laying your head, there are about 6 sweet hammocks scattered throughout the property. THAT'S my idea of island living...
communing with nature in a swinging hammock.

The review panning the pool area is a first for me. Every time I have been, the pool has been crisp and clean. Something must not have been working when that traveler was there, but be assured, Mike and his staff handled it as soon as they knew about it. And yeah, the pool is small, but if you want olympic size, go to the ocean!

The happy hour is a perk I enjoy. Going down to the pool area around 4:00 is a treat. People gather 'round the bar like flies... you find out where they're from... what they've seen, and you may even make a friend. It's like a big backyard party every night. Who cars if the liquor isn't top shelf? It's free.

Walking through the lobby, grounds, and pool area of the Eden House, I feel like a native Conch. The rough edges show, but that's okay... I'm relaxed, on vacation and enjoying myself. If I had wanted space, glitter, and newness, I'd have gone to Atlantis in The Bahamas. But I don't go there and my choice for every trip to Key West is Eden House... hands down!

Chill out, y'all... and let the sound of the palm fronds swaying in the breeze overhead wash over you.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member