“Eden House: Key West”

Eden House
Ranked #9 of 51 Hotels in Key West
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 12, 2012

This was a cute hotel, older, but full of character, and lush gardens with hammocks and various seating areas to have quiet time, even around a busy pool. The personal touches and poolside happy hour created a great vibe among the guests and helped make up for our very small room, with an even tinier bathroom. The common areas however were clean, well-staffed, and had a little something for everyone, especially if you enjoy incense, and "The Teachings of Buddha" on your bedside table. We did quite like the "earthy" feel of our stay and met a variety of guests by the pool, and even slipped into a competitive game of water volley-ball, with a beach ball. The trees and plants in the various seating areas, at varying elevations, made for a "Swiss Family Robinson" sort of feel. Walking distance to the strip, restaurants, shopping...etc.but bikes were available on-site for rental. Very convenient!

Room Tip: Get something with a walkout if possible.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank holidaybarrie
Write a ReviewReviews (1,796)

Reviewed August 10, 2012

This place is unreal, such a perfect spot and the people who operate the hotel are amazingly friendly and helpful. We stayed in a room on the lower level that was separated a bit from the main building, it was spectacular and worth every penny. The hotel organizes social hour which was pretty fun, nice to mingle with other people you might not get to meet otherwise. Be sure to rent a bike from the front desk, it's a great way to get around Key West. Thanks Eden House!!

6  Thank Oiseaux99
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Loved it.just my husband and I.very peaceful!! Many different room types to choose from.must rent scooters, it's the best way to see key west.best snorkel tour is with floridays..happy hour every day 4 to 5 by the pool,free drinks!!

• Stayed: August 2012
6  Thank drskipnc
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Ive never seen so many signs about what you can't do in a Hotel ever. They are everywhere! also, they give you a bike to use that is included with the purchase of one of the room but they are trash. I was riding down the street on the way back to the hotel when the chain came off the bike. I could not brake due to this incident because you need the chain to stop the back wheel. I am going into an intersection going about 20 miles an hour when I see a car coming and like I stated before I couldnt stop at the light. I had to slide the bike and do a full baseball slide on concrete to avoid from being hit by a car. do not stay in this so called resort. The pictures that they have on the website and online are very deceiving and the employees are rude and unaccomodating. Never again. Stay at The Gallion if you want a peaceful and fun time without a psychotic egotistical owner.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
10  Thank oophilipo
Reviewed August 2, 2012

This is a real find. A little off the beaten path, but that is what you want in Key West.

Pros:Staff is top notch, their bike rates are very reasonable (be sure to rent bikes!!!), free cocktail hour is a fantastic perk, plenty of high quality sunscreens to use, lending book library is packed, hammocks to rest in, and the rooms are kept cool.

Only negative might be the size of their pool, but that is not really a big deal.

This place is perfect for the traveler/s looking for a chill place that is affordable and has a staff that will give good recommendations for what to do in the city.

4  Thank PortlandCle
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Every year my friends and I travel down to Key West in search of sun, sand, fun and adventure. This year our group blossomed to 16. With much happy anticipation, we collectively decided on giving Eden House a try. Most of our group consisted of couples so we ended up booking 4 rooms of the quaint resort, 2 of them being the large suites, a sizeable chunk of the property, I might add. We were happy. And then we arrived.
Upon arrival you are not so much asked to take a tour. It is highly recommended after your first decline. Fine. We'll take the tour. Whilst walking by the jam-packed, itsy bitsy wading pool, I joke that the guests are going to be bummed when our large, and hot!, group jumps in after dropping off our bags. Tour guide turns, smiles and gently reminds us of the 10pm noise ordinance (which we already read on the website...and confirmation e-mail) and then not so gently let's us know, we will be thrown out if we break the rules. Nice! We just forked over about 4 grand to be treated like this?! How welcoming. Needless to say, we skipped the pool.
After avoiding our accomodations until the end of the bar crawl on Duval, we tip-toed back to our rooms and stifled conversation and laughter, or any other signs of life, in fear of being promtply thrown out. What a terrible time! At about 10 in the morning, we are welcomed by a complimentary head count to make sure there are no extra people in our rooms. I was enraged at this point. And to top it all off, they were wondering when three of our friends were checking out today? Today? No, they booked rooms until tomorrow. Not according to them! Oh wait, looks like they have another room available. Oh just kidding. It just got booked online. Why on this green earth would they not give the room to stranded guests on property and call to cancel the online reservation? One could only guess.
They obviously already made their assumptions about our group and we are NOT that sort at all. We paid good money and are a very fun-loving and happy group. Just because we are in our late 20's does not give anyone the right to treat their guests in this manner. After threatening to clear out the rest of the rooms, they refunded our friends the prior night's fees. However, they had successfully separated our group while we were on our annual group vacation. What's funny is that we never had one complaint and even put together a group pool volleyball game with the other guests and had a blast. At night, it was so uncomfortable staying on the property, we have never been so disappointed with any of the many resorts we have stayed in on the island.
DO NOT GO THERE IF YOU ARE TRYING TO HAVE FUN. IF YOU ARE ANYWHERE IN THE AGE RANGE OF YOUR 20'S AND 30'S, STEER CLEAR! THEY WILL JUDGE YOU AND TREAT YOU LIKE DIRT :( Our group of 15 + 10 who were smart enough to stay at Douglas House on Duvall have been adamently telling everyone who asks or care to know, this is the LEAST hospitable place on the island. Any kind of laid back vibe you are looking for, it is NOT HERE!! Even the property is littered with signs and rules. No this, no that. And do not be fooled by the pretty pictures online. The pool is the size of a deep puddle, the bbq grill is located a distance away in a separate encasement, swarming with signs not to leave food, and you must enter and exit through the un-air-conditioned lobbey where you will recieve shushing and your mom's infamous stern eye. I've felt more welcome at a library. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. WE ARE! NEVER, EVER AGAIN!

Room Tip: If you choose to ruin your vacation by staying here, stay away from the small deluxes...I've see...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
18  Thank StellzBellz
edenhouse, Owner at Eden House, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Dear StellzBellz,
I am sorry that your group came to the Eden House looking for sand and adventure. We aren't on the beach and we ask that our guests be respectful of others during our quiet time. Therefore sand and adventure are out of the question at the Eden House.

We do welcome groups but not at the expense of our other guests. Our no noise policy needs to be abided by all who stay with us because our repeat guests expect it. Money is not the bottom line and if it ever does become so, I'm carrying IT down the road.

Please don't let our simplistic view of paradise stop your quest... it is out there for everyone and all walks of life. The communist Cuba analogy was a bit harsh and somewhat misguided.

The only other thing I would like to address would be the incorrect booking. Your friend made the reservation online and when he checked in he paid his balance due and signed his check in card so the dates were addressed several times. Maybe he was confused considering he said he was alone yet had 4 people in the room. However, we had another guest already booked in that room on a sold out night so why would we make them stay somewhere else when they had booked correctly?

I was in college once and wouldn't want to revisit it. Though the memories still linger. I think it was Iggy Pop who said, I don't do drugs anymore but I still think high.

Mike Eden and staff

Reviewed July 29, 2012

After looking at the photos and reading some great tripadvisor reviews I decided to book two nights at Eden House. In all honesty I was a little skeptical because at the time of booking it was relatively expensive considering the small, and fairly basic rooms.

With that said, you have to experience Eden House to appreciate it's high acclaim.. The rooms are not the reason for why this hotel is so fantastic. Also if you are travelling to Key West you should be spending as much time as possible out of your room.

The hotel is in a really cute neighbourhood, about 15mins walk to Duval St. The premises have been carefully landscaped with beautiful plants and trees which surround a nice pool and hot tub (open 24 hours a day). The staff at the hotel are friendly and incredibly helpful. At some hotels when I make a request I sometimes feel like I'm hassling them with the way they react to me.. But at Eden House I felt like they really wanted to help me out. One staff member was particularly helpful with recommendations and assistance. I wish I could remember her name. All I know is that she recently moved there from Illinois.

The friendly relaxing atmosphere seemed to chill everybody out, I felt very welcome like I was staying at a friends house. For these reasons I would recommend Eden House to anyone who wants a nice, chilled out, relaxing stay.

However If you are the kind of person who expects to be pampered by a hotel and have them wait on you hand and foot, with state of the art amenities in your room then I don't think Eden House is for you. I think Eden House sums up the best aspects of Key West very well.

8  Thank andyg7