“Duval House”

Ranked #43 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
philadelphia
“Duval House”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

We LOVE the Duval House! November was my 3rd stay and I hope to be back soon. There are many wonderful things about Duval House besides the location. Duval House is a peaceful respite centrally located on the main drag so you can walk everywhere, but once you close your door or go into the courtyard you are in paradise, far from the crowds. The rooms are beautiful and have lovely appointments. The pool is warm and secluded amid fantastic greenery. The breakfast bar has make-your-own-waffles, hard boiled eggs, a wonderful fruit assortment , oatmeal, cereal and pastries. Sit by the pool, under a tree or anywhere else in the many tables set up throughout the shaded courtyard. The staff is not just friendly; they become your friends, and will sit with you on the porch while you enjoy people-watching. It is a bed and breakfast the way it USED to be....A warm, friendly place with a beautiful room, a comfy bed and relaxing grounds. Then you can walk out the door and be a tourist without ever needing a car or cab. We rented bikes (right next door!) and rode around the island, to the beach, etc....If you are looking for the staff or amenities of a sterile hotel chain this is not the place for you. If you love the idea of a clean, beautiful Bed and Breakfast and are looking for something unique and wonderful, give Duval House a try! I'll be back for sure!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank phillyfamily5

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Hudson, Ohio
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Just far enough away from Duval Street to give you some peace and quiet time. Clean rooms, wonderful feather pillows and even a remote for the air conditioning. Nice gardens with an included Happy Hour. Some renovation going on in the main house but it did not bother us.. Would we return? Clearly the answer is yes

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 23, 2013

The location of the Duval House is great...close enough to be able to walk to all the clubs/bars/restaurants, but still far enough away to enjoy some quiet time if so desired. The Duval House is quaint and charming. The grounds are peaceful and beautiful as you walk through the full gardens. There is an occasional rooster or two wandering through the grounds which just adds to the key West charm. The pool area is secluded at the back of the property which makes it quiet and relaxing. The staff is very helpful and friendly. If you have any issues of any sort, they are extremely helpful in resolving them for you.. There is a breakfast each day which consists of bagels, english muffins, yogurt, fruit, hard boiled eggs, pastries, cereal, coffee, orange juice and new additions of waffles you can make on the waffle iron and mini cheesecake poppers which were a delicious addition to spread. My room was clean and comfortable and housekeeping is also helpful and courteous; always with a smile and a hello. I also have to mention Cayo the cat is who super sweet and loveable. Counting the days until my next trip!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Stayed at the Duval House 20 years ago for our first Wedding Anniversary and finally made it back. Still wonderful. The staff is the best. Kiersten (sp?) went above and beyond when she brought us wine glasses from her own home!!
Great location. Nice breakfast.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Linda B
Long Beach, California
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I have visited Key West maybe a dozen times and the last several times I have stayed at the Duval House. I have found the staff to be completely cooperative, although I know from my last stay that there was some turnover on the desk and sometimes they didn't immediately have the answer to a question. However, they always got back to me as quickly as possible. I prefer to stay in one of the units not on Duval Street since it is located in the heart of a lot of nightlife. Once I go to my room, I want to sleep and sleeping in the front along the street would be a lot noisier. My most recent trip was during Fantasy Fest 2013 and it was the perfect location for all the events and for watching the parade. They also had a dinner catered for all the guests one evening and I think everyone who was staying there ate their dinner at the Duval House that night. I met several people both gay and straight, although the majority of the guests were young to middle age straight couples. Many of the people staying there made their reservations for the 2014 Fantasy Fest before they left. I roomed with a friend in one of their rooms with the new bathroom and it was great. They are remodeling each bathroom one at a time and when it is complete it will be even better. I can't say enough good things about the Duval House at 815 Duval Street. (Do not confuse it with several other places to stay that also have the name Duval in it. This place is by far the best location of any of them.)

Room Tip: Rooms off the street are much better if you want a quiet night. If you like to stay up late and don...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Houston
Reviewed November 15, 2013

If, and I mean, IF, you can get them to answer the phone, the front desk clerks cannot assist and always say they're going to have a manager call you back (which they don't). I have had several charges on my credit card from this organization that I did not authorize. I am trying to get someone to contact me regarding them but having no luck. Highly advise against booking here and will make sure I pass my bad experience on to any and everyone I can.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank MLLIII
TheDuvalHouse, General Manager at The Duval House, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
The allegations set forth by Mr. Lockwood are factually challenged. The facts are as follows: on November 5, 2013, Mr. Lockwood placed a reservation for November 14, 2013, via our online booking system, without speaking to anyone at Duval House. NO ONE EXCEPT MR LOCKWOOD processed any charges to his credit card - he did it himself, online. Moreover, prior to electing to have his credit card charged, he made the decision, and took the action of agreeing to the terms and conditions set forth. On completing his online reservation, Mr. Lockwood received a confirmation clearly outlining among other things, the date of the reservation and our cancellation policy. At some point after making his reservation for Nov. 14th online, Mr. Lockwood realized he'd made his reservation a full week after the date he'd intended.

Apparently, on November 5th, when he made his 3-day reservation online for Nov. 14th, he'd actually intended to make it for Nov.7th (a date which, coincidentally was already fully booked and totally unavailable online). Mr. Lockwood was faced with the fact that he was fully responsible for his own error. He was also fully responsible for the Nov. 14th reservation he'd made, and not entitled to a refund of the funds he paid to secure his room, to prevent others from renting it, and to guarantee his arrival fulfillment of his 3-night commitment on Nov. 14th.

Nonetheless, believing this to be an honest mistake, and sympathetic to his situation, we were happy to offer assistance in the form of a security guarantee refund, less a $50 cancellation fee. We made it clear that if Mr. Lockwood did, in fact, fail to arrive on Nov 14th, we would issue a refund of his security guarantee funds, less a $50 cancellation fee. Lacking any appreciation for the fact that we were offering this refund he was not entitled to, and growing increasingly impatient at the need to wait the week, Mr. Lockwood began to barage us with veiled threats, threatening that it was in our best interest to refund his funds.

In our last conversation, when advised his refund was imminent, Mr. Lockwood seemed somewhat apologetic. Per our commitment, on November 14th, one week after being notified of the error Mr. Lockwood made, and the problem he created for himself and for us, we acted in good faith and refunded the security guarantee funds to Mr. Lockwood, charging him, as promised, only the $50 cancellation fee.

The fact that Mr. Lockwood would thereafter go online, divest himself of any responsibility for his own actions, completely distort the circumstances and falsely accuse us of placing unauthorized charges on his credit card is to say, at the very, very least, discouraging. Having previously demonstrated inordinate impatience, we can only surmise that perhaps the refund did not appear immediately enough on his account. If that is the case, it is a matter which is completely governed by his own bank's policy and totally outside of our control. Whatever the reason, it is extremely distressing to realize that the old adage 'No Good Deed Goes Unpunished' is fast becoming today's reality.
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed in the front cabana room. The room was very nice, however, you can hear the noise from the street and the street lights shined into room, even with the blinds closed. If you are a night owl, you may not mind that. The rest of the grounds were beautiful, will definitely stay again, but would get a room toward the back of the property. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple