“good luck”

Coconut Mallory Resort And Marina
Ranked #57 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 14, 2009

We were kicked out of the lobby because the staff was handling a complaint when we tried to check in. We were then told to inventory the room. Towels were missing and the front desk was told...they never got us the towels. The water heater broke on day 2. Maintenance said that they couldn't get anyone to look at it until the next day. Nobody showed up to look at it until 11 am...after we were greeted by a 2 inch cockroach on the floor. Maintenance then told us that they have pest control come in twice a month and that it was normal. He said " we have all kinds of bugs, animals and even rats that come in." Get ready for a $20 taxi ride to Duval Street or you can rent a bike and ride the 4 miles.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smlsjl

Reviewed December 8, 2008

This place does not deserve to be included as one of seven choices on an Interval International exchange, especially for a platinum member.

The ankle-deep water in the parking lot from the cloudburst an hour before we arrived can be overlooked, though it took two days for the lot to drain completely. However, the supposedly non-smoking 1 bedroom loft unit reaked. The lofted bedroom could not be sealed off from the living room for light or sound; the rickety bed squeaked; the hideabed sofa mattress served better on the floor because it was so weak, worn out, and thin, and I am still trying to figure out where all the bites on my legs came from. When we complained about the odor and the cleanliness of the unit, housekeeping responded promptly; it was apparent from the color of the used mop towel after she was done that the unit had not had a thorough cleaning in quite some time. There are no washer/dryer units nearby, certainly none in the units. The boathouse and a couple other areas had Wifi hotspots and the boathouse marina was somewhat picturesque, but there is no in-room internet access, and the TV's had poor reception at the bottom five channels.

Being in one of three timeshare properties on the east side of the Key (Hyatt the others), we were far from all the action on the west side around Duval street. That wasn't necessarily a problem, for with bicycles rented for a week, we covered the whole island multiple times leisurely, were closer to grocery and department stores, and had much less of a parking issue than when we rented a car to go off-island a couple different days. Being on the east side, we discovered a great marina and bar/grill on Stock Island just across the bridge, more of a locals' place, and I am sure would not have known about it had we stayed on the west side. But either of the Hyatts would have provided us the same locale, better cleanliness and more amenities.

Stayed: December 2008
Reviewed October 12, 2008

I agree with heinzandmary. I was really thrown after reading the reviews here. I arrived with my husband and my 2 year old granddaughter at about 9pm on Friday night. The staff was there to greet us. I had called at about 1:30 pm to let them know that we were just leaving Kissimmee and that we would be arriving late. I spoke with Rosa and she said that was fine. When we got there and checked in she walked us to our suite. We stayed in the 2 bedroom 2 bath on one level. My husband, Richard, couldn't stand the idea of walking up and down to use the bathroom. Also, with the baby we were afraid of her getting up in the middle of the night and falling down the stairs. We had no problem with changing our room. When we opened the door there was such a pleasant clean smell greeting us at the door. We walked in to an updated granite counter top kitchen. All of the rooms were clean. The furniture in the living room and bedrooms were in great shape. We stayed in a no smoking room. The carpet in the hall was slightly worn but other than that it was clean. Coco Mallory is in a great location. We didn't go to Key West for the night life we went to relax. The pool and the hot tubs were great. We got to know the other people staying there and it was great. Everyone working there was always on hand except for Sunday. But you could always speak with the guy running the bar and he would help. The resort location is on the side of town where the malls and beaches are. Both are about a 2-3 minute drive away. We are both military veterans so we shopped at the navy commissary which was about a 3-5 minuted drive away. We went downtown where all of the restaurants that the tourists would go to and that was about a 5 minuted drive. We also went to the navy MWR which has a private beach called Rocky Beach. We could not stay because we didn't want Taylor playing on the beach, too many rocks.
All in all I would stay here again. We belong to Interval and could have chose one of the other resorts but I am happy that we picked this one.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank bjbw
Reviewed August 16, 2008

After reading some less than positive reviews on this resort, we were very pleasantly surprised. the 2 pools were very clean and well kept, the condo (1BR/1 1/2 BA loft) was clean and well kept. (tho the sleeper sofa downstairs could be updated)
the office staff was friendly and helpfull. and the landscaping on the grounds is beautiful!
This resort is on the quiet side of Key West, perfect for families who want to have all the fun of Key West, without the raucus nightlife, and noise.
I would recommend this resort to families, boaters (marina was very nice and full of boats) SCUBA divers (we SCUBA and welcome the quieter nights of this end of Key West), couples wanting to relax.
the lively and crowded end of the island is easily accessable by car or moped.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank heinzandmary
Reviewed June 4, 2008

I recently stayed there with my parents and my sister. We actually stayed in 2 different units while we were there. First we were in a 1 bedroom condo. One of the newer units. While new and nice "looking" it was very small and cramped, and put together and decorated very cheaply. The coffee table was broken, the coffee pot was broken, the AC in the living room was broken, the shower door was broken, and the microwave was broken. The pullout couch bed was the worst I've ever slept on and I'm a touring musician that has slept on many floors and couches across America. After they somehow talked my parents into investing in the timeshare (after I begged and pleaded with them, not to get suckered into this place), they came and fixed the AC, and then eventually moved us to a 2 bedroom condo. The 2 bedroom condo was an older unit, but MUCH nicer! The decorating was outdated but the place was A LOT roommier and comfy. The staff was VERY accomodating only after my parents invested, which I thought was lousy. As for anything else about the place....the pool (singular, because one of them was under construction when we were there) , was nice enough. The jacuzzi, while hot, the jets did not work. The location is rather inconvenient. Its on the opposite side of the island from all the action, which makes it nice and quiet, but if you want to do anything "fun" you have to have some kind of transportation. Its a LONG walk, an ok bike ride. The bus runs once every hour, and is pretty cheap, but it doesn't run very late. I think the last bus goes downtown around 11:00 so if you want to do thebar scene, you could take the bus down, but you'd have to take a cab back, which can cost you up to $25. Overall, it was ok.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Kimbflo
Reviewed January 26, 2008

We enjoyed our stay but the 17 steps up to the bathrooms and bedrooms were a bit of a nuisance for senior citizens. Also 3.2 miles to Mallory Square would hardly qualify as "in walking distance" for us. The place was clean and quiet and staff was helpful. There was no bathroom to use while you were at the pool. We enjoyed our stay but would have liked to know that we were going to have to go upstairs to the bathrooms and pay $10 to $20 dollars to park near Mallory Square..

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jjgramma
Reviewed January 22, 2008

Booked thru Interval too. Nice 2 bed / 2 bath unit. Clean. Some updating had been done to the unit we were in.
Great small deck to sit outside & have coffee/cocktails. Need a car if staying on this side of the island.

Stayed: December 2007