“perfection in paradise”

Coconut Mallory Resort And Marina
Ranked #57 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 23, 2014

My wife and I read good and bad reviews we were a little worried. I am here to give my opinion usually something I do not do often unless I have a bad experience!! WE LOVED IT!!! Awesome great air cond awesome bed, shower was as good as home, very clean tv remote out of batteries reported and fixed instantly!! We stayed in condo studio room 405 close to road but had NO trouble sleeping. Some reported construction outside there was none!! Bar there was great Dock had small tarpon under it at night I fly fished hard for them the water was a little cold I was told by a fly shop but the fish showed interest and that kept me going back night after night!! Nani helped with suggestions at the front desk awesome!! We were there in January from Montana the weather was great!!! Have No worries this is a great place to stay. Turn left and go to the local walkway by the beach it is a great place we found it late in our stay so close to heaven. Drove past it at night after plane landed. wish we would have found it sooner. The cuban coffee queen!!!!! Great coffee free parking awesome breakfast sandwiches!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sarah E

Reviewed February 22, 2014

This was a resort that was like a home away from home. Don't stay here if you want to be able to walk to everything, we were glad we had a car, but there was also public transportation right outside the resort. If you are up to biking getting to town is not that bad. The unit we stayed in was not fancy but certainly roomy enough. We had a 2 bath, 2 bedroom and a lovely deck. We were able to grill every night. The resort was quiet and friendly, the pools were nice, there was a bar right here as well as bike and kayak rentals. We were able to go to the wild side of the island for a visit then return to our island oasis. Because we were able to ccok in, nothing fancy of course as it is vacation, we were able to do many activities such as snorkling, kayaking and jet skiing.
By the way after the first day you don't notice the airport noise, I think the fancy hotels closer to the airport get it worse and look alot more expensive.

Room Tip: We did not have a poolside room and were okay with that as it may not have been as quiet at night wh...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank denisechandler
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We had a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo overlooking the "shade" pool. Nearly perfect in every way. Clean, quiet, easy parking, lots of room, all the good stuff. Little problem with the phone system but that was fixed right away. Even got a heart shaped donut on Valentines Day! We'd go back in a minute.

Room Tip: Choose rooms in the 100's away from the road. We had 108
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2014

My buddy & I just returned from a quick 4 day trip to Key West for a fishing venture. I booked this resort based on the more reasonable nightly rates & the fact that we had a 2 floor 2 BR/2 BA condo on the water. The rate was still $300+/night but I thought it was a bargain given the ample space in the condo. We were really looking for a no frills, spacious place to lay our heads for the week while we fished offshore & explored the island.

To start, the customer service was great from the get-go. Our flight from DC via Philly was delayed by 9 hours when coming down so I called the resort & the friendly woman at the front desk taped our key to the door for our late arrival. Throughout our stay, this woman was also quite knowledgeable of the island, friendly & always called us cabs when we stopped at the office for info. Cabs are abundant here, albeit pricey. We usually just phoned them ourselves but it's a nice testament to the overall courteous management at this location.

The location of this resort is on the East end of the island adjacent to the airport. However, it's far enough away from the airstrip that we never heard any loud engine noise from take-offs or landings. It's a quick 10 minute cab ride to downtown KW, but it's no easy walk. So, keep this in mind when booking this place. You can rent cars, scooters or small electric vehicles while here, although we chose cabs given our short stay.

The resort itself is comprised of 2 buildings with parking beneath. Our room was on the top floor which is where the 2 story condos are. I believe the 1st floor units above the parking level are 1 floor. So, the buildings are essentially 4 floors if you count the ground level. There are elevators. There are also 2 pools. We only frequented the Southern pool during our stay. It's 5 ft. deep at it's lowest & is saltwater versus chlorine. There are ample chairs, umbrellas, etc. There is also a nice bar next to the marina which are all adjacent to this waterfront resort. The bar itself is open air, quite large with some table games & looking out to the small marina. Nothing sits directly on the ocean, but you're still on the waterways in Key West. The bar serves all types of beer & wine, but I didn't see any liquor. Overall, Coconut Mallory is a great resort that is a contender for potential retirement opportunities given the quiet location, spacious rooms, wonderful amenities, waterfront location & marina/bar on site. One building may be timeshares/rentals vs. owner occupied residences. I'm unsure of this but it seemed as though there were some long term residents.

My only complaint & reason for a less than excellent review is that our room was a bit dated & had a musty odor that was reminiscent of mold & aged cigarette smoke. While the rooms are smoke free, the unit may have had previous smokers due to the fact that these are timeshares or previous owner occupied units. I saw a lot of black filtration dust and/or mildew in some of the return vents on the ceiling which is evidence of this fact and for lack of routine maintenance. It didn't bother us so much, but I can see it being an issue for families or for those with respiratory problems. The A/C was cranked down to 68 upon our arrival so this masked the issue somewhat but I could still sense a bit of an issue given that I run a cleaning/ restoration business. I doubt all units are like this, but our room at the immediate West end of the property was slightly neglected.

Great location at the far East end of KW on the water; great staff; great pools, bar & small marina. Large 2 floor condos with outside rear decks. Overall, a wonderful & moderately priced visit. Just realize that this isn't the Westin or the nearby Marriott, although you'll have a lot more room here :) We would return....

Room Tip: Maybe choose a room towards the East/water....the West rooms are near the busy road.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I booked this resort through owner on Red Week.com. I had stayed in this particular resort before and knew what to expect. I was very pleased with the accomadations and also the front desk agent An'anna, She was so helpful in suggesting a beautful Resturant for our Anniversary and even gave us a card for a free bottle of wine. She booked the Jolly II Rover sunset sail for us and just made our vacation very memorable.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 7, 2014

I had previously placed a review about our stay at Coconut Mallory. Our reservation was made through Kees Vacations and paid for in advance. However, upon arrival at Coconut Mallory there was no key available for us. We come to find out that our reservation was not even in their system due to an error by Kees Vacations. After calling the emergency phone number at Coconut Mallory, the property manager came and found us rooms. I am happy to now report after several phone conversations with her and her front desk clerk, we have received the reimbursement of one night's stay and also the dinners that were promised to both couples. I was never able to find out exactly what happened on the part of Kees Vacations and how they lost our reservation but am happy to report the issue has been resolved. I would advise any travelers to always confirm their reservation before they arrive at the property.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I originally made this reservation through Travelocity, which is partially responsible for the misinformation that I received. I requested a first floor room, due to a handicap, and there really is no such thing because the building is raised up. I was also told that it was close to shopping and dining (in walkable distance), but unless you feel like walking miles, in a spot with little to no sidewalks, that is untrue. Most importantly, don't assume it is near Mallory square...that's about five miles away. The biggest disappointment was the noise. I had an elevator shaft outside my bedroom window and it would constantly make noise, every few minutes. It was impossible to sleep! The room on the other side of the condo had four air conditioning units sitting outside the window, so that was just as noisy and we couldn't even enjoy the deck, for the same reason. We expressed our dissatisfaction with the front desk and apparently the office manager was away for a few days, on personal business, and there was nothing that they could do. We cut our trip short and now we are having difficulty getting our unused night refunded, even though the front desk associate claimed it wouldn't be a problem. We also left behind two Ralph Lauren shirts hanging in the closet and when I called the next day to inquire about having them sent to us, I was informed that anything left behind in the room was considered to be "property of the resort" and they were "likely thrown away". Ridiculous! I am sure a member of the housekeeping staff is enjoying their new RL shirts. Everything about this property was a disappointment, including the lack of cleanliness in the bathrooms.

Room Tip: Don't get a room near the elevator shaft or A/C units!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends