“Second stay and there will be a third...”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Blue Marlin Motel

Blue Marlin Motel
Ranked #35 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Daytona Beach, Florida
“Second stay and there will be a third...”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We have stayed at the Marlin two times in the past three years and have really enjoyed every aspect of this place. The location is just right, the staff is great (especially Marcus), the room is spacious and comfortable, and the pool is always clean. Parking was only an issue once when we came in late, but no big deal to park out in front of the motel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed July 14, 2012

A group of five friends stayed at the Blue Marlin for a single (thankfully) night on June 30th. To begin with, the rooms no longer smell like mold or mildew as described in earlier reviews, but have a VERY strong chemical smell...perhaps to cover up the mildew/mold smell? Drippy faucet. Not a huge deal, right? A basic budget hotel room.

The trouble began when I woke up at 2am with bites from my neck down to my toes, many of which were in the typical "breakfast, lunch and dinner" pattern of bed bug bites. The bites weren't there when I went to bed. I did not see any bugs, but was able to find black spots on the sheets. At about 7am my girlfriend and I went to the front desk where the night manager was still on duty. We described the situation for which he was appropirately apologetic and horrified. He did confirm that they had had trouble with bed bugs in the past, but were not aware of a current infestation. The night manager asked that we return later to speak to the day manager. When we did so, the day manager had someone "inspect" the room in our presence. The two "inspectors" looked briefly at the mattress, boxspring and under the headboard. (One of the guys held his cell phone up to the mattress.... Is there a bed bug ap????) They then declared that it was "impossible" that the room had bed bugs. When I said that my understanding is that bed bugs aren't that easy to find, the guy became defensive and told me he was trained in inspection. (Although I can't claim to be trained, I looked the room over better than this guy!) The "inspector" told me that I probably was bit up on the beach, which would be a possible explanation had I BEEN on the beach.

We returned to the manager where the was a brief whispered conversation between the two. The manager reiterated the impossibility of bed bugs. I asked to speak to his manager and was handed a business card. I requested that the manager get his manager on the phone and he refused to do so. My girlfriend did email the grand poobah of management and did recieve a very careful response which didn't deny the possibility of the bugs, but fell short of an apology, compensation or promise to investigate the situation further.

We spent the remainder of that day doing everything possible not to bring the potential bed bugs back to our homes.

Bottom line: I would not return to this establishment because they appear to have difficulties with accountability and have certain difficulties with customer service. I would wager that if there were bed bugs in that room, they are still there.

2 Thank Tamara M
dBranham, General Manager at Blue Marlin Motel, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Caution is a good thing. We apologize if you believe your claim was mishandled. We think everyone should take the time to check beds when they travel. Check them when you arrive. If you are not comfortable doing this, ask the property to help. Most places will send a staff member to assist. Our property has a very active program in place for just this reason. Bed bugs are horrible and we don't want to subject our guests to them if we can avoid it. However it is always possible that what seems like bed bug bites can turn out to be something else. Many times guests are not familiar with the tropical atmosphere here so sand fleas or no-seeums could be the reason they have bites. Bed bug bites are indisputable and if someone is bit, it is obvious on their skin and also in the bedding. There is no way to hide a bed bug attack. This is why when we have a guest report, we immediately check the beds and we ask that the guest join us - for their own satisfaction. We want to be sure and we want to address it with the guest if there is a problem. We don't shirk our responsibility and we don't dismiss a report of bed bugs. We do not claim to be exempt from the problem at all. But we do check and we do confirm and we go from there. Our guest's safety and satisfaction is always our number one concern. Please, check your beds and if you are in the least bit suspicious that there is a bed bug issue, ask for another room or find another motel - that's what we would do.
Longwood, Florida
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Folks, don't be put off by the silver and dark green color scheme. It used to be pretty and pink. We have stayed here many times during the years and the location is great. Not quite on Duval Street but close to the Southernmost Point. Ana's Cuban Cafe is right around the corner for a great breakfast and lunch. You can easily walk to Duval Street. There is also a nice new public beach a couple blocks away that wasn't there last time I stayed there. The rooms have been redesigned since I was here last, in a retro style. They are clean and the pool is still nice. There is lots of shelf space in the room and a rail in the shower. There are also washers and dryers if you need to do a quick load of wash. Mallory Square is a little hike but the rest of the action is in walking distance.

Jamestown, New York
Reviewed June 22, 2012

To start out with when we checked in the staff was AWESOME !! They greeted you with a smile and said Welcome. Though our room wasn't ready yet they let us change into our bathing suits and use the pool. Within 10 minutes they had a room for us and it was very nice. And it was cool inside too. The temp outside was around 88. We put our tings in the room and back to the pool we went. They were very knowledgeble on where things were and what was fun to do. There prices were very comparable to a lot of motels in the area. Since we've stayed there many of times before we knew this was the place to be. Over all I would give them a 97%. And of course I would got back there again. Keep up the good work !!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Islanddreamer14701
Sanibel Island, Florida
Reviewed June 14, 2012

We stayed in Key West for a couple of nights then wanted to extend our stay and we found Blue Marlin. We walked in and the gentleman there was so friendly and held a room for us until we could walk back to our car and get our ID's and credit cards. When we got to the room, we were so pleasantly surprised. The room was spacious, really clean tile floors, nice and cool A/C and the beds were so crispy made, we couldn't wait to lay down and relax. It's also located just a block off Duval Street so we were able to walk back and forth very quickly. We are already planning to come back for a longer stay at the Blue Marlin. Loved it!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank bethrizzo
dBranham, General Manager at Blue Marlin Motel, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Our guests are the best! Thanks for letting us know we did a good job!
Naples, Florida
Reviewed June 12, 2012

This is supposed to be a "three star" hotel. What makes a hotel five stars? For reasonable rates, I get a big quiet room, the use of a pool, coffee 24/7, a continental breakfast, an uninterrupted night's sleep, and the freedom to do any zany thing I choose to do in Key West. And it all comes with a parking space! Tell me, what more can I ask of my home away from home?

1 Thank CWKnob2
Merritt Island, Florida
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I have only stayed at this property twice, and I will never stay anywhere else, ever again, when I am in Key West.
I have stayed at most of the other new and super pricey hotels. Yes, they are nice, but you are paying more for the brand and not the experience (IMO).
I stayed at the Blue Marlin for vacation in July 09. It is an older place, but they have remodeled. The rooms are spacious and CLEAN!!! And the room is pretty sound proof. With the pool being located in the middle of the property, it can get unstandably noisy with all of the fun being had, but in your room, you cannot hear it.
In June 2011, we made the decision to get married in KW. And I made sure that we would be staying at the Blue Marlin for the days leading up to, and after the wedding. The first night we were in town, they were sold out and we had to stay elsewhere (not fun). But once we got to the Marlin, we (and especially me - the bride) was able to relax and enjoy everything.
The pool is a good size and is surrounded by palm trees. Parking is limited, so do not plan on bringing a big vehicle, or multiple cars. The staff is amazing and super friendly (Thank you Marcus for everything!!)
The property is just around the corner from the Southernmost Point, and Duval St. So pretty much everything is within walking distance.
I cannot say enough great things about the Blue Marlin. I cannot wait to come back in the fall!

Room Tip: Any room is a good room.