“Great Place”
Review of Blue Marlin Motel

Blue Marlin Motel
Ranked #33 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 29, 2011

One block off Duval street..Two blocks from southernmost point..Just a quite and clean place to stay but still close enough to all the action.Had the pool most of the time to ourself.even though the hotel was booked..Very friendly staff,will stay here again,and I hope it's soon....

Reviewed April 22, 2011

Wanted to stay in Key West, but was worried about spending too much money on just a room and wanted a nice place for a reasonable rate. I saw Blue Marlin had 123 reviews and all were 4 or 5 wtih the exception of one that was a 3. I decided based on the reviews to make reservations. I wasn't disappointed. On top of having a decent price, they give you a fridge and microwave in the room. The room is nice and big and the bathroom is nice too. It is two blocks from the southernmost point, one block from the beach, one block from the butterfly conservatory, and one block from the start of Duval street. This hotel is so nice and the room was clean. The pool area was very nice and the pool was clean. The staff was so friendly, and helped me park the car. The parking may be kind of tight, but we always did find a parking spot. That was one thing the other reviews warned about. It was a very nice stay and my family was impressed and we had the best time. Thank you Blue Marlin for all you did for us!!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 12, 2011

I had low expectations for The Blue Marlin due to its price and location. It definitely seemed like an old hotel. I have no idea when it was built. But everything worked fine. With temps in the mid to high 80s it was nice to have the AC. Everything was clean. We checked in the middle of the night and the Desk clerk was friendly enough. Other than checking in and checking out, we didnt really have much interaction with the staff.
I saw where someone complained about not having coffee 24 hours. I didnt notice that being said anywhere, nor is it something I would have cared about. The room had a coffee pot in it, if we wanted coffee, we could have made it.
Wifi worked fine in the room.
No one is perfect and I should voice my complaints. My biggest problem with the Blue Marlin was the parking lot. Luckily I had a Jeep wrangler and as cars go its relatively small. During the day it was pretty easy to find a parking spot in the parking lot, but after about 8pm its rough. Especially when some people are too retarded to put their car in one parking place. But my jeep is small enough that I was able to squeeze it in and block someone else from being able to get into their car. One night I saw someone drive thru the parking lot twice looking for a space just to end up parking out on the street. I suggest using a bike as often as possible while in the area.
The door into our room had quite a gap under it.Definitely large enough for a small rodent to get thru. But I never saw any. The grout in the bathroom was cracked. That in itself no big deal at all. But I did see a small spider crawl in and out of it at different times.
I never felt uneasy coming and going from the hotel on bike at all times of the day and night. I never saw any sign of crime going on in the area.
I would stay here again and recommend this place to my family and friends.
But over all I was pleasantly surprised. I would stay here again.

1  Thank MichaelLB
Reviewed April 9, 2011

Great location, great hotel, loved it. You can walk to duval street. There is a nice pool in the middle of the courtyard.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed April 6, 2011

When I was originally looking for a hotel in Key West I was looking at the busy area of Duval St. Boy am I glad I didn't find one. Everything about this hotel was top notch in my opinion. The gentleman who checked us in was really pleasant and helpful (I wish I had his name as he should be given extra kudo's as the other front desk people were not quite as friendly) The room was quite large, two queen beds, and very clean. The pool area was a treat. Everything was clean clean clean. The area we were in was near the southern most point and I wouldn't stay anywhere else. We liked the busyness of the pubs etc of Duval but loved coming back to the quieter end. Still lots of food and booze in the area. Wouldn't stay anywhere else when in Key West. Oh, and the price was one of the best we found for the area. Really enjoyed this spot and was sad to leave.

The only negative and its a small one was that there was supposed to be coffee available 24 hrs and the one night there wasn't and the guy who was working who wasn't the most friendly said he would set up the machine but never did even after asking a couple of times. Really small potatoes but it stood out as it was not in character for our experience.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
conchdeb, General Manager at Blue Marlin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2011

Thanks for the comments. It's always nice to hear that we met our guest's needs!

Reviewed March 26, 2011

The Blue Marlin was a great place to stay on the quiet end of town.I would recommend getting a room on the second floor since we had a few spring breakers drinking&yelling alot above us during our stay.I would also recommend parking your car at the motel and leaving it.The old town trolley runs just around the corner on South St,and there are moped &bicycle rentals there too.It's a 14 block walk to Mallory Square which sounds like alot but really isn't.There are also plenty of restaurants close by.They also have free wifi but I had to go outside our room to get it to work.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smitchohio
Reviewed March 26, 2011

I ended up at this motel as a last resort. They were recommended by the welcome center. The staff was nice and friendly. The location is pretty good if you want to be close to Duval and down town. We were able to walk to most of the places we wanted to visit. The motel/room looked like it was recently renovated. Since we were only there just for over night, this motel suited the purpose. I cant complain too much because I paid ½ the price of what a 3 star room was going for in Key West during March.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank QueenBeby

We understand that we don't meet everyone's needs but we do our best to make OUR guests happy. It's great to know that we remain a good value any time of the year!