“If you are serious about catching fish, I recommend the Linda D.”

Linda D Sportfishing
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: 79 years of family fishing history for the WICKERS , Captain Billy grew up working in the family charter business, working as a mate for his dad, and got his captain's license at the young age of 18 in 1990. He captained his dad's boats, Linda D III and IV, and was able to buy his own boat the Linda D V in 2003 which he owns and operates. Captain Billy has been recognized for his fishing abilities by winning numerous awards since 1990 to present , including the prestigious Key West Fishing Tournament's Outstanding Guide Award, most releases in general division, and also most Sailfish and Marlin releases, which he has won for consecutive years. He s been recognize as captain of the moth by Gray taxidermy..Also Linda D IV & V have been Awarded for the 2012 BEST OF KEY WEST AWARDS IN THE CHARTER BOATS Category by the Key West Award Program Committee. Capt. Billy Wickers III will definitely make your fishing trip a memorable event for you and your family.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Last May 2011, I returned to the Keys with my son in law and friends to fish on the Linda D. I've been on more that Fifty charterd fishing trips off the Key's and I will tell you this was the best fishing trip I've ever had. If you are serious about Fishing, I highly recommend the Linda D. They are the most professional in the business I just booked another trip for June.

Reviewed August 16, 2011

I booked an entire trip with Linda D around some fishing in Key West. I requested two half day shared charters, and did so more than two months in advance. One on Friday afternoon and one on Saturday afternoon. I arranged babysitters, house sitter and plane tickets around my fishing plans. A week before I am to leave, I get a phone call asking if I can move my times, or go on Sunday. Because my whole trip was built around the charter, I could not.

Then, two days before I leave, I get a call and I am told that the boat I was scheduled to go on had been booked for a full day charter. They would try to find another boat I could go on for Saturday, but it would have to be a morning charter. Anyone with little children knows that a quiet morning is precious for Mom and Dad. There went that. We had to get up at 5 a.m. our time, and we didn't catch anything. I was not told that this time a year, the only way to catch fish is to book a full day charter so you can go further out. That would have been nice to know two months ago. So for Saturday, I paid over $400, including tip, for my Wife and I to have a boat ride.

As for Friday, it was still up in the air because I was told that they did not have another couple people to go with me. They even said that I may not get to even go, but to call when I arrived to see!!! I did call Thursday night upon arrival, and was told they would check in the morning to see if they could find someone else to go. By 10 a.m. Friday morning, I had no boat and I was ticked. My hotel actually arranged another charter, which turned out great. The hotel even called Linda D to get my deposit back, at which time an angry captain called my cell phone to tell me that I did not understand how the charter business worked. He stated that he had worked very hard to get me a charter. I thought I already had one!!! He at least applied my deposit to the other charter company for Saturday morning.

What I do understand is that two months ago, I had two days of fishing planned on a Friday and Saturday afternoon. The day I get to Key West, my plans were up in smoke. I had no warning on my confirmation email that my plans were subject to change for business reasons (as opposed to weather, which I would understand). In Tennessee, a reservation and confirmation means that I am booked. That is apparently not the case in Key West.

I titled this review as check the fine print. What I really mean is that you should ask questions to avoid a situation such as mine. Linda D did a poor job explaining what I was actually purchasing two months earlier. They may be a great charter outfit, but my experience was that they are unreliable - that is unless you pay them enough that you can bump someone else's plans.

1  Thank jbhlaw