“Key West Is Not A Third World Country”

Courtyard Key West Waterfront
Ranked #46 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Sarasota
“Key West Is Not A Third World Country”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

OK, so the maids don't/won't? speak English. NOT OK when customer service is an alien language. What's worse is when maids and staff are trained to be mean, snooty, holier than thou, like a Beverly Hills designer store when you are in your first half of the Pretty Woman stage of life, and are wearing dirty cut-offs and ripped fishnets. I am not. I am in the second half of the movie, but in flats, without the eyeliner. Ok I am a woman traveling alone, working, so of course I should expect a female maid to treat me like her cheating husbands illegitmate leper child. I am a Marriott Rewards member which is even more horrid to the entire staff. At the front desk I was treated to the typical revolving snotty teenager whose whole job was to be unclear, exasperated and insulting. The 10 times I have stayed there or tried to over 5 years, I have never seen the same front desk staff twice. It is the only Marriott in the world where they will refuse to let a quiet, polite, patient, platinum member use the computer in an emergency, and make such a scene all by themselves that you are waiting for a military escort to appear, open the door to a Mexican jail cell and splain how they do things a little differently here. How DARE you ask for customer service. But ever hopeful, and frankly stuck, because I have to work Key West once a month, and tho more expensive than the moldy Fairfield inn, have they cleaned that up yet?, the Waterfront is cheaper than the Beachside, and I have to be practical, while staying loyal to Marriott. Most of the time I stay in Largo, and suffer the extra drive, but I hoped, I hoped. And I recently tried the Waterfront again. I was only in the room sleeping or on the job, except for my last morning when I caught up with the laptop on all my fieldwork. I enjoyed a terrific breakfast courtesy of Starbucks PATTY, who is an absolute blast and made the whole stay worth it. She should run a room in Key West! Oh she does! all she needs is a mike, because she is a natural wonder of high energy, well placed jokes, kind and sassy while totally service oriented, she chided me for helping pile up my dirty dishes..... and all the laughing really helped me relax. She also turned me on to the Office Depot across the street, and is a wealth of info of all things cool Key West, So back to the room I go, smiling and sated, and settle down to work. Its a lazy Tuesday, no one around, not a sound outside my paper thin walls. Suddenly I realize its eleven o'clock, and I could use some extra time. I call to the front desk where I am curtly told that the latest is 12:30 (How Dare You!) cluck,tsk tsk cluck! and so I gauge my time. At 12:20, I am out the door with my computer and camera. I smile and wave at the maid, pack up the car, and back up to the room for my personals. I am happy to see the pretty maid smile at me, and arrange a nice fat tip of ten bucks. I have only been there a few days, but I worked as a hotel maid, TWICE in my life, as I was a runaway and put myself thru college. It is hard hard endless work, rePEAT and I don't forget that, and honor every maid who is vacuuming up the toenail clipping I dropped on her rug, plus I am from Jersey. At 12:23, I am back to the room to wrap it up and head north, I smile at the same maid again, and the key to my room no longer works, as checkout/change-the-keys time is 11 am, thanks for telling me! The maid is three rooms away from me. I smile, shrug my hands and gesture her to come over. Then like a strange demon emerging from this petite Spanish beauty she smiles and shakes her head no. I fully turn slowly, still calm, just trying to understand what I am seeing. "To the front desk" she says in her best no speka de engla. I gesture, smile and say " ITS ME> Its the same me you just saw leave the room"...... To which she strides down the hall to my room, gets in my face and says TO THE FRONT DESK. customer service folks! down she walked to me! Somehow, I am no longer calm, but I am not insane yet, and I spin on my heel, down the stairs, over the river and thru the woods from the back wing, you know, the one with the BROKEN SECURITY DOOR, down around over and thru to the actual front desk. There I am met by Miss Surly who makes me a new key, and the only smile I see from her is the smile that accompanies: "The maid is supposed to do that, you know, that is how they are trained." ie.."YOU DOPE HOW DARE YOU cluck tsk tsk cluck eyes rolling. I am so happy to see their concern for security when THE SECURITY DOOR RIGHT NEXT TO MY DOOR HAS BEEN BROKEN MY ENTIRE STAY. So back across the lobby, thru Starbucks, OH Patty, bummer! along the pool, around the tiki bar, (the courtyard is very beautiful, note) and navigate the gate, hit the beach, (the beach is so sweet), onto the (beautiful) boardwalk, up the stairs and back through the BROKEN SECURITY DOOR to my room, and the new key does not work. It is now nearly 1. I am now feeling insane. The beauty of the courtyard property has become invisible, so near and yet so far ........ I start to sound a little insane and I stomp down towards my good friend the maid to "call the front desk and open the damn door for me, I am not jogging that mile again, I am paying over 300 dollars a night you just saw me leave and one minute later I am the biggest threat since Castro? ......" but before I could tell her what I really think she is zipping up to the door to open it for me. And I have to wonder, as I look down on her from my 5'10" of steamed stored up Irish where all that security training went in those minutes, or maybe common sense kicked in, or maybe I reminded her of a man........

I removed my tip, although I was grateful to my oppressor, as in a third world country I would have paid her to get me out of there. When Anne the "manager" emailed me, I was told between yawns that my safety and security were her highest priority. k ching

so girls bring your fella, skip the hotel on the weekends or frankly even in season, as it is SO DANGEROUS, accept your criminal status at this beautiful property, and spend the extra bucks to stay at the Beachside Marriott, or skip Marriott altogether. But don't skip Patty at Starbucks, go in for a latte and a laugh. Slide into the lobby,look left back to the pool, outsnoot the upnose at the desk, and breeze right through to the coffee+ bar. Just don't expect the Starbucks to operate under the normal rules of a normal Starbucks, not here in the third world country of Courtyard Key West Waterfront. They do things a little differently.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1Courtyard1, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Key West Waterfront, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We apologize that your stay Courtyard Marriott did not exceed your expectations. I can certainly understand the disappointment you felt when you returned to the hotel to find your key would not work after our scheduled checkout time. We do our best to accommodate our loyal Marriott Rewards members by giving check-outs after 1pm but unfortunately during our sold out months, we are unable to offer anything later due to the number of arriving guests. Customer satisfaction is most important to us, and we sincerely regret your recent experience during your visit. Our company has strict standards for top quality. I hope that in the future, as in the past you will choose us for your lodging needs, giving us the opportunity to reaffirm your opinion of our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, FL
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stay at a lot of Courtyards, using reward points earned when my husband travels for business. Of all of the ones we have stayed at, this property is my favorite. Here's why:

1) Check in was fast and friendly.
2) The inner garden area is beautiful, as is the pool/hot tub/tiki bar.
3) The boardwalk out back is interesting, and the back veranda is lovely.
4) The free shuttle to and from Old Town is AWESOME! Parking in Old Town is problematic and expensive, and you can totally avoid that hassle by utilizing the shuttle.
5) The room was average-sized, but had plenty of mirrors, and the second sink just outside the bathroom was genius. Plus, it smelled great. And the balcony overlooking the inner garden area was very nice after a long day on Duval.
6) The info desk in the lobby was a great resource of both info and coupons.
7) Free coffee and tea in the lobby until 11:00.

Now, the small inconveniences/problems:
1) the Starbucks in the lobby is not really a Starbucks....I tried to use a gift card, and was told they did not accept them. Not cool - management, please find a way to work this issue out.
2) the bathroom has no ventilation. There is a small window high above the mirror, but it is unreachable unless you are 7 feet tall. Leaving the bathroom door cracked open to vent some of the steam helps.
3) Shuttle service ends at 10:45 P.M...in a party town like Key West, that is early. We wished it went until at least midnight. A cab from Old Town back to the Courtyard costs around $12. Also, at times there are more people wanting to ride in the shuttle bus than there are seats available, and apparently if you do not get on, that's your tough luck. You have to wait another 30 minutes for the next shuttle, or take a cab.
4) no microwave in the room. This seems to be a trend with Courtyards, and it's unfortunate. I think they do have one down in the lobby, but at 7 AM that's not very convenient. Our room did have a mini-fridge however.
5) Tiny trash cans. Yeah, I'm nit-picking here, but it's annoying to have a full trash can after only an hour in the room.

We are already looking forward to our next Key West visit, and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank WanderingFool47
1Courtyard1, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Key West Waterfront, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review. We're thrilled to hear that you are already planning your next stay with us. It sounds like you really enjoyed everything we have to offer from our location, beautiful gulf views from the boardwalk, and utilizing our complimentary downtown shuttle. Our standard rooms with 2 Queen Beds unfortunately do not have microwaves but all our other room types including our standard King rooms have a microwave and a refrigerator. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback, and we look forward to seeing you soon.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed March 26, 2013

The Courtyard Key West Waterfront is a comfortable and typical Marriott Courtyard experience. Yet there are some nice features here that make it an ideal vacation hotel in Key West. First it is not located downtown. To some this may be not what they want for my wife and I it was perfect. The hotel has some nice features. For instance, the pool has a Tiki Bar and it is open daily. The hotel also serves some food and Starbucks coffee if you desire. In addition, a shuttle van runs every 30 minutes to downtown so you do not need to drive your car and fight for parking. This alone was a saving grace. My only complaint is that the walls of this hotel must be made of paper unlike other Marriott Courtyards. At night you could be entertained by the live actions of your neighbors. Trust me this is not something you really want to hear at night when you were sleeping. Otherwise, the hotel is fine even if it is a little pricier than other Marriott Courtyards. But what do you expect when going to a vacation hot spot.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Whgille
Thank you for sharing a review. We're so glad you enjoyed our accommodations, and the wonderful complimentary shuttle service downtown, too. We are making many significant changes during our upcoming room renovation. We appreciate all of your feedback and hope you're able to come back for another visit soon to see all the new changes we are planning.
Illinois
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Do nott stay here. Paid alnost $350 a night for musty dirty room with blood on toilet. 1 tiny shampoo for 4 people. Did not bring me more even though I called Twice. Went to bed without a shower. So many nicer hotels that are better value. Worst Marriott I've ever stayed in.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank KindermusikGal
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We apologize that your stay at our property did not meet your expectations. I believe our General Manager and Corporate team has reached out to you to resolve any issues that may have occurred, your patronage of Marriott and our family of hotels is very important to us. Customer satisfaction is most important to us, and we sincerely regret your recent experience with your stay. Our company has strict standards for top quality. It is through feedback, both positive and otherwise, from guests like you that we continue to improve our service and product. Thank you again for providing us with this information. I hope that in the future, as in the past you will choose us for your lodging needs, giving us the opportunity to reaffirm your opinion of our hotel.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Booked 1 family bedroom suite on the last weekend of Feb 2013. There are 3 adults and 3 children ages 11, 9 and a 4 m.o. baby. There are 2 queen beds, 1 sofa bed that looks like a queen size bed, and 1 playard for the baby. They even provided a baby blanket. There are 2 full baths which is very handy for a big party like ours. We are all very comfortable and a nice place to relax after a busy day in Key West.

Room Tip: Our room is on the south side. Pretty quite inspite of construction up front.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ultimatehockeymom
1Courtyard1, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Key West Waterfront, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
We know you have many choices when making your lodging decisions, and we truly appreciate your choosing Marriott's. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay in one of our family suites. We look forward to serving you again soon.
New City, New York
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Wonderful hotel for the keys. The rooms and facilities are great. Pool and beach are well apointed with tiki bar. My room overlooked the ocean. Free parking on property and a free shuttle to the downtown. Only negative was the construction on the street. Made it a little harder to get in and out of hotel.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Slatchs
Thank you for your feedback!. It's a rare person who takes the time to compliment. Thank you for being that person! I have shared your nice comments with the franchise owner and the team at Courtyard. I know we all appreciate the time you took to share your comments with us. Hopefully you were able to utilize our complimentary shuttle while you stayed with us, it is a great tool to utilize to avoid dealing with the construction all through the island.
Rhode Island
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel with great service! No breakfast. Just outside the craziness of town. Convenient shuttles to town. I forgot my camera in the room when I checked out. Hours later I called the front desk and they shipped the camera home to me! Outstanding!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank thehaggs
Every Courtyard employee is trained to provide our customers with the best-possible lodging experience. This includes providing fast, accurate and friendly service, thank you for taking time to acknowledge our efforts. We look forward to welcome you back in Key West!