“Nice street, quiet & relaxing b&b”

Artist House on Fleming
Ranked #12 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Ok, first of all, let me say; Rent A Bike!!! If you have a bike, your day/days in Key West will be soooo much more relaxing and easy! And fun!! It is SO worth it!!! It only costs a few dollars a day! If you are planning to walk everywhere, you will get tired!! Although it is not a very big place, the blocks seems long, and you will be walking and walking and walking aaaaaall day, because there is so much to see and do!! And it's hot, hot, hot! Humid & Hot! Having a bike, makes it so easy! And it's nice to feel the breeze while cycling...! This relaxing and chilled guesthouse is a good place to stay in Old Town, it is close to everything - I loved the location!! You have everything near you; a grocery store, restaurants, a fantastic little bakery (Old Town Bakery) the harbour, great breakfast-places (Harpoon Harry's; not to be missed..! Fantastic breakfast!) and if you have a bike, it'll take you 2-4 mins to Duvall street. I really enjoyed my days at The Artist House on Fleming, which provide good bikes to rent. Bikes have a basket, too. I am so glad I didn't stay on busy and noisy Duvall.. I went to the Happy Hour in the sister-hotel; The Artist House (on Eaton). It was nice to meet other travellers and share some stories. Personally, I much prefer Artist House on Fleming, I wish they would have a Happy Hour there...! The Artist House on Fleming is much nicer, with more space, too! The staff was very helpful. I had a nice room; The Geiger Room was my pad during my time on this beautiful and friendly island. I really enjoyed coming back to my room and just relax. Good to have a fridge, and wifi was fast and always working. A great place to stay whilst in Key West. I hope to return very soon!
If I was going to point one thing out...:
- the large bed in the main room of The Geiger Suite, maybe time to change this mattress...? Just sitting on this bed.... I felt as I was going to go down on the floor...! Too soft, no life in the mattress at all, must be painful for a sore back....! I felt straight away I could never have had a good night's sleep on this mattress, so choose the other bed, which was smaller, but nice & firm & I slept very good.
- I know the window shutters have a purpose; hurricane. However; I wish they weren't necessary, I would've loved to be able to see out of the windows....! And with the shutters, you couldn't see much at all.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Artists-Fleming, Manager at Artist House on Fleming, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your comments, and are happy to hear that you had a great stay and that you hope to return soon.....We hope you do too!

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We had a room on the first floor right across from the kitchen that was quiet and comfortable. The staff was friendly and accommodating. As our main goal was to explore historic Key West, the walking distance to downtown was a little far. We would have preferred about 3-4 blocks closer. Parking was somewhat of a hassle, so once we found a parking spot, we parked the car and walked everywhere. As for breakfast, what happened to the days when B&B's served a hot breakfast? Although there was plenty to choose from, we were tired of the same fruits and breads after three days. The outside patio and front porch were very nice for relaxing. If you are looking for close to the historical district, look at accommodations closer to Duval Street. If you want the quiet of the neighborhood (great restaurant right across the street) choose the Artist House on Fleming.

Room Tip: The Hemingway room on the second floor is large and accommodating but very dated. The rooms at the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review. We're glad you found the Artist House on Fleming to be a great place to relax, but a bit surprised to hear the walk to the historic district described as a long one. We are located in Old Town - just minutes to the Historic Seaport Boardwalk, and the Key West Bight Marina. And most of our guests describe the walk to Duval Street as taking under 10 minutes at a leisurely pace.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Me and my family stayed for three nights June 25 to 28, in the Geiger suite.
Trevor was very helpful with all questions or other issues that we had, it was our first time in Key West.

Geiger Room was perfect for me and my wife and 2 kids.

Brekfast; plenty of fresh fruit, baked bread, chese, yoghurts, cereal etc :-)

If we had the chance to redo the trip we surely would have stayed longer in Key West and at the Artist House on the Flemings.

Best regards
Family Stenmark
Sweden

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Artists-Fleming, Manager at Artist House on Fleming, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Thank you, Mats! We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us. You will definitely need to stay longer next time. We'll see you then!

Reviewed July 10, 2013

The Artist House on Fleming was a high point in my boyfriend and I's July vacation. The staff was friendly and location clutch. We were a close stroll to Duval street (but far enough not to be bothered by the bar scene once we left) and close to the complimentary social hour at the original Artist House. A quick dip in the pool was quite refreshing. Upon waking up, the breakfast spread was delicious. Though no augmentation was necessary, there's a very cute bakery half a block away to pack a nice lunch before walking to the beach. Great times and hope I'll be back!

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for choosing the Artist House on Fleming for your visit to Key West! We're glad that you found us and pleased to hear that you found so many things about us that you enjoyed. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you visit the island!

Reviewed July 4, 2013

We spent four days, three nights at the Artist House on Fleming - There to celebrate our father and grandfather George's 85th Birthday. We very much enjoyed our special vacation and would highly recommend it to others. We rented six of their nine rooms for our 12 family members and friends. Service was outstanding primarily thanks to Trevor. He treated us like "family". He made arrangements for restaurants, trolly tours, jet skis, motor scooter, taxi's, bicycle, directions, etc. - Always very pleasant and with "mucho" patience. He was extremely sincere, we all liked him personally. Trevor went above and beyond in every regard. Our breakfasts were outstanding. We found B&B far more friendly than staying at a hotel/motel. Our rooms were nice looking, comfortable and had all the required amenities, no complaints. In the late afternoon we were treated to a cocktail hour courtesy of AH. A choice of white/red wine and/or beer. A very pleasant ritual before going out for dinner. I introduced myself to the owner. We had a very pleasant conversation, she was charming. Upon return to our homes we have already recommended AH-Fleming to friends.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review! It was so nice to meet the rest of your family! We were honored that you chose the Artist House on Fleming as your home base for such a special event and happy to hear that you all had a great time here. Cheers!

Reviewed July 3, 2013

We took the Truman and Gato rooms at the Artist House on Fleming and were a little disappointed. There was nothing 'very' wrong to prompt a poor rating but it generally fell short of our expectations that had been set by their own website and trip adviser. The location, a good 15 mins from the hub of Key West (the east end of Duval Street), was further than expected from the main attractions. Not an issue for my wife and I but it was for our kids and might also be for some seniors (bearing in mind you'll already be doing a lot of walking around town). Breakfasts offered were excellent (yogurts, fruit, pastries, breads/bagels, cereals, tea, coffee, fruit juice) but isn't scheduled to start until 8:30, too late if you book up for one of the many tours that kick off at 9:00 (bearing in mind tour check in is 15-30 mins in advance and you are a 15 min walk from the centre). Coffee is meant to be on offer from 7:30 for early risers but the twice we tried to get coffee early before 8:00 it wasn't ready. The rooms were OK but had issues. The matresses are extremely soft and worn out, ours had huge dents where someone would sit if sitting up reading or watching TV, and we didn't get a decent sleep as a consequence. The plumbing is old and in need of upgrade and the water flow/hot water would top off without warning, usually when well soaped up! The biggest let down was the staff. Again no 'major' problems but they didn't have the friendly, helpful and approachable attitube that you'd expect from your hosts in a little place like this. They leave an envelope in each room prompting tips for the housekeeper but after 5 days I saw no evidence she ever entered our rooms. In summary, with a few upgrades (plumbing and beds) and more enthusiasm from the staff it would be so much better.

Room Tip: These are old wooden houses with no sound proofing, take a top floor room to minimise noise disrupti...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Artists-Fleming, Manager at Artist House on Fleming, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

We thank you for being our guests! We're happy to hear that there were so many things you enjoyed about the house including the breakfast. Our location in the quiet, residential part of town is a 10 minute walk to Duval Street, but miles away from the noise and chaos! Bikes are also an excellent way to get around. We'd wanted to address some of the things that you were less than thrilled about. We apologize that the coffee auto button was not set for coffee to brew prior to 8 AM. We wish that you had mentioned it to us so that we could have prevented it from happening again. We also do provide in-room coffee in the event that you would like coffee at any other time outside the breakfast hours. When our guests let us know they are going out early on trips, we gladly create a breakfast spread that we place in the rooms so that our guests can still partake in breakfast. Just let us know-we want to accommodate everyone! We are surprised to hear that you did not feel as though housekeeping was in your room. Our housekeepers provide the same daily service that you'll receive in a major chain hotel- bed/linen service, fresh towels, replenished amenities, etc. If for any reason your room had not been serviced for a single day, we gladly would have addressed the issue immediately. We are especially sorry to hear that you felt we were anything less than friendly and helpful. We really do try our best to make each and every guest feel welcomed and extend our offer to provide as much information as well as our recommendations to anyone that wants to hear them! We try to give our guests as much privacy as they want and certainly do not follow guests around. We do regret that you did not approach us during your stay but we do wish to let everyone know that we want all of our guests to make the most of their time in Key West and want to help as much as possible in any way! Simply approaching us could have easily provided you with everything you needed to make the most of your vacation in Key West. Although we do try to ‘read’ our guests in an attempt to anticipate their needs, we sometimes aren't’ the best mind readers.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

We spent 4 days in Key West at The Artist House on Fleming. We stayed in The Hemingway suite which was roomy enough to unpack all our bags and not feel crammed in. The room provided a sofa (which was also a sofa bed) and a wonderfully comfortable King size bed. The Artist House is a little off the beaten path, but that is what we preferred. If you are going to stay right on the main strip, you will pay alot more. This place is in a nice quiet neighborhood. There is a wonderful bakery within walking distance. Also Eaton St Seafood is only a 3 block walk - best lobster roll I have ever tasted and Azur restaurant right across the street with some very nice selections (and great coffee).
Our room was clean and comfortable with a nice deck outside with comfortable seating. There is a nice little "spa" pool with just enough space to cool off or soak a bit while sunbathing. The staff is friendly and helpful (but not overbearing).
They provide a nice upgraded continental type breakfast with pastry, bread, cereal, mini-quiche and a wonderful variety of fresh fruit. Always seemed to be plenty available, regardless of how early or late we ventured into the kitchen (within the scheduled breakfast time). The only cons are that since the house is old, lots of creaky floors and the room we choose had a small bathroom. But I don't think the cons are enough to reduce the rating to anything but excellent. I would go back to this place if we ever visit the Keys again. Very enjoyable experience!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Artists-Fleming, Manager at Artist House on Fleming, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Thank you so much for being our guests and writing such a great review! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed so much that our B&B has to offer as well as the quaint neighborhood that we are located in! Please visit us again soon!