“Had a good time”

Ranked #44 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Philadelphia
“Had a good time”
Reviewed May 7, 2006

My wife and I were with a group. The hotel took care of all our needs and provided good food and drinks for our parties. Our room was fine with the possible exception of the air conditioner not making the room as cold as we would have liked. However, it was definelty not too noisy.

The construction was not a problem for us nor for any member of our group.

The steaks at Shula's were outstanding cuts of meat although expensive. But, given the location I was not surprised at the prices. We ate breakfast at the Dennis Pharamacy two blocks away which proved good food at a cheap price and provided some local history.

The pool was small but seemed large enough since the beach was also popular with sun bathers. The food at the beach bar was good.

I probably will not travel to Key West again unless I fly into the Key West Airport, we landed at Miami and traveled by van to Key West (too long a ride - 4 hours). However, if I did go to Key West again, I would stay at the Reach.

The unkown is that that the property is on the market so who knows what the future will bring.

• Stayed May 2006
1 Thank PaGolferPhiladelphia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
  • Polish first
Miami, FL
Reviewed May 7, 2006

Whatever you do, do not book The Reach. After reading all the reviews I thought that my experience would be different (yeah right). We arrived late Friday night for my husband's SURPRISE Birthday trip. After calling 2 TIMES earlier that day to make sure they will have a room for us for late check in we come to find out that they overbooked the hotel and do not have any more rooms in the whole entire hotel (and they had the audacity to say that they do this very often!). The staff wasn't event nice and apologetic about the whole situation. After aggressively fighting with them we were transferred to their other hotel the Casa Marina with an upgraded room and 1/2 off on the first night's stay (once aging this was after some very loud screaming and yelling), what a nice start to my surprise for my husband. We had to take our bags, put them back into the car and drive to their other property. When we arrived it was like a whole different world. The property is absolutely beautiful and large. They have a proper lobby as opposed to the parking lot at The Reach. The staff is extremely nice and helpful, the grounds are very clean and groomed, the room was OK, clean but a bit old. At the end I was happy that they screwed up our reservation because I hated The Reach but loved Casa Marina!!!

• Stayed May 2006
7 Thank traveler_with_kidz
Reviewed April 26, 2006

The website is VERY misleading. The rooms are incredibly overpriced: they are old and stale, in need of a major upgrade. Bathrooms are pitiful. I understand they are renovating, but please, just lower the prices. Everythng for that matter is overpriced....Pool is small, and terribly overcrowded and not desirable AT ALL. Food is poor to say the least - I had a bit of food poisioning on first day. Car was taken at valet - although valet charges were never explained versus self parking. The staff just doesn't seem to care. The beach is nice, and that seems to be the selling point - and weddings. All in all, stay away until renovatations are complete and the travel editors have visited.

• Stayed April 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta
Reviewed April 23, 2006

Way overpriced. I was attending a conference. I am just glad I wasn't paying for it myself and my employer got a greatly reduced rate.

My standard room was OK--tile floors, King bed, sofabed, small round table with 2 chairs, coffee table, bedside stand, and wardrobe/TV. Balcony overlooking street and tops of restaurants (garbage truck comes by 7am) with plastic table and chairs. The a/c blasts on low or high--amazing volume. All energy efficient flourescent bulbs in lights--I turned on all the lights to try to read one night and I have no idea what my make-up looked like. Soft towels and NYTimes at door each morning. Nice staff and shuttle to airport and Casa Marina hotel. The beach area and pool are tiny. I didn't hear the contruction on my side of the hotel. The hallways are strangely confusing and it can be hard to find a staircase to where you want to go.

These hotels have been purchased and are undergoing renovations. Others at the Casa Marina said my room was in better shape than theirs.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank Metwo3
Reviewed April 20, 2006

This hotel cannot be classified by any standards as luxury.............arrival via the parking lot, balconies with parking lot view, pool the size of a postage stamp, small and dirty beach and excessively overpriced are but a few of the characteristics. Don't bother going , since there are a few classy hotels with infinitely better everything except a beach.........which is preferably to the other one.

• Stayed April 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
connecticut
Reviewed April 17, 2006

This resort( if thats what you call it! ) is way over priced! There was construction going on every day from 9:00AM until 5:00PM .Dust from the construction was all over our everything when we returned to our rooms every day. They should have let us know when we booked about this!

• Stayed April 2006
7 Thank skippy120753
Reviewed April 6, 2006

If your looking for a run down hotel w/ great beach access then this hotel is for you. I'm sure this Hotel was nice 10 years ago, but it looks like they haven't put a dime into this place in years. Not worth the money. I checked in & out same day. Try the Hyatt !

Read the other reviews on this page - they are 100% accurate.

Stayed April 2006