“Liked it!”

Ranked #45 of 51 Hotels in Key West
New Paltz, New York
“Liked it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Reach Resort for two nights, from 2/9-2/11. We were nervous about what it would be like after reading several of the reviews of the hotel. We were very pleasantly surprised!!! Our room was extremely spacious, perhaps because of its location at the end of the hotel. (We were on the 3rd floor.) There was construction on the property next to our hotel room, but we could not hear it. The room was clean, nicely decorated, and we did receive turn down service. The staff was all very polite and helpful. The pool and ocean were beautiful. We had brunch one morning at the hotel. What a nice ocean view spot to start off the day. We did have a problem with the air conditioner, but we called the front desk and the problem was promptly addressed. The location of the hotel was also good. It was one block from the quieter end of Duval Street, but Mallory Square was only a short walk away. The southermost marker was 2 blocks away. We would defineitely stay at the Reach Resort again.

• Stayed February 2006
6 Thank bestmomever

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
  • Polish first
Saint Louis, MO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2006

Stayed there 1/29/06 to 2/2/06. Was upgraded to oceanview room despite first being told it would cost $50 per day more. Easy walk to Duval St. although at opposite end from Mallory Square. We chose to rent bikes ($12 per day at hotel), which is highly recommended. Hard to find parking spots in Key West so best to leave the car in the parking lot. Hotel has a good oceanside location with one of the few beaches in Key West. Pool is nice and attendants are very nice as well. Room is typical of a Wyndham, although it is not a Wyndham anymore. Room was clean and everything worked. Couldn't hear any noise from next door construction although there was dust in the parking garage and maid service was fine...Hotel wasn't in 5 star condition but it isn't a five star hotel and was in good condition. Booked thru Priceline for $150 per night...which was a good value.

Overall we were satisfied and would definitely stay there again

• Stayed January 2006
8 Thank BryanG03
Naples
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2005

I stayed at the Reach over Thanksgiving weekend for four nights. I arrived in the evening and upon check-in they make you sign on your receipt about the $14.00 per day "resort fee". I asked what I get for this fee and none of them at the desk could really say what I would get. The valet did tell me that they have "free" ($56.00) popsicles by the pool. The room was clean but very dated. There was an ironing board and iron and a hairdryer. Unbelievably though no coffee maker; I guess the $14.00 resort fee won't cover the little coffee packets. Reading other reviews regarding the air conditioning, I was concerned. However, ours worked great. Other reviews that are factual are the ones stating this property is worn down and needs work. Those reviews are up to 3 years old! You should see the place now. Whoa, the buildings are literally falling apart. The concrete on the balconies are falling from the rusting re-bar, and the railings around the walkways needed paint 5 years ago. Someone else made an observation that they are probably waiting for a hurricane to blow the place over, so they can collect the insurance. Astute observation. Bottom line; if you could get this hotel for under $125.00 I would say go for it. Otherwise look around. Lot's of nice B&B's and private hotels. In Key West it is not so much the hotel as the fun you will have in Key West.

• Stayed November 2005
12 Thank AKTravels
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2005

Being a General Manager of a downtown Boston Hotel, maybe I can be critical, but in all our years of traveling this is the first time I have never complained here or to the hotel, as I know things can happen.

We stayed in Aruba at the Wyndham Resort, and were sold on the Wyndham name. I highly reccommend it. So making our decision when we had to go to Key West for a Wedding was easy....so we thought.

It is no longer a Wyndham, so if your looking to get the Wyndham by Request perks, forget it.

Parking garage is flooded just about every day. Our room was out dated and tired, but clean. The over all appearance of the hotel is worn out.

The elevator did not work 3 of our 5 days, no explanation, no apology. The construction next door will be your wake up call each morning. I read one review that was just posted in regards to vacation, well we were on vacation too, and we do not need a jack hammer to tell us when it's time to get up. They would not move our room either.

$14.00 a day resort fee? For what?

Tried to call the desk several times and received no answer, called the concierge to get a taxi to go to the wedding and we went into their voice mail.

Oh, we did get turn down service, once!

Working in this business for the last 20+ years I know what guests expect and this is not it, not even the basics. I can see why Wyndham sold it.

18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2005

Talk about complete disreguard for customer service, they were happy to take my $400.00 deposit, then they called two days before we left and said sorry we dont have any rooms. Unbelievable, didnt offer any kind of comp, nothing, nothing.......... still fighting to get my deposit back. Thinking of suing......

Sam

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2005

Being a General Manager of a downtown Boston Hotel, it takes a lot for me to write a negative review....BUT.....

My wife and I were attending a wedding in Key West, since we had a great time at the Wyndham in Aruba, we decided to stay here. BIG MISTAKE !

When we arrived we found out it was no longer a Wyndham, it was when we booked it a few weeks prior?? We are (or were) Wyndham by Request members, so any of the benefits of that were not available. sorry, thats a lie, we did receive turn down service one of the nights we were there, not that it matters to us, but they could be consistent. Everything is still marked with the Wyndham logo, so it is very confusing.

Parking is cramped, and the garage is always full of water. the room was not what we were hoping, but it was clean. Our view of the pool?? We were looking at the satellite dish from our balcony right above the garage.

I hope you are not there to rest on your vacation, the jack hammering from the construction site next door will sufficiently do for your wake up call, everyday!

I called the desk to see if we could move our room, but no one answered the phone.

I hope you do not need a taxi. We called for one to go to the wedding, but the operator connected us to the concierge desk, and then we went into the concierge voice mail. That's ok we got our own taxi.

I am unsure what the daily resort fee was for. As we did not get anything additional for this fee than we would have received from any other hotel.

With all of the great choices in Key West, it really does not matter if this is a Wyndham or not, don't stay here.

Newcastle upon Tyne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2005

After staying at a top quality Wyndham hotel in Palm Springs last year, we were hugely disappointed with the Reach Resort. The hotel is totally overpriced for the standard of the accommodation. The car parking is terrible and the air con in the rooms sounds like it is diesel powered. There is a lot of building going on next door which acts as a good wake up call! The rooms were dirty and need updating dramatically.
The only positive points I can make are the pool area and the beach - these are both very pleasant.

• Stayed September 2005