“Great Resort” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #45 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Orange, TX
“Great Resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2005

We just returned from a four night stay at the Wyndham Reach Resort, and it was a great place. The entire staff couldn't have been more friendly, and Ricardo, the pool man, was a "hoot." The room was very clean, and our view was great. Drinks at the poolside bar were very reasonable, and the bar at Shula's was nice. There is a deli and a liquor store right across the street from The Reach, which we frequented. I had read some of the bad reviews, but I decided to go with an open mind; and, I couldn't have been more pleased. The seaweed was kind of bad, but they have no control over that. Cab fees to the northern end of Duval St. were very reasonable. All in all, The Reach is a nice place.

3 Thank SSSV

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (568)
  • Polish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2005

Even if all that you want is a bed to sleep in at the end of the day--don't stay here because it is not worth the money. As mentioned by other reviewers, someone's hair was in the bathroom that was there before we stepped into the place. There were some ants in the room, and we had trouble with opening the sliding glass door. At night we could hear the bar beneath our patio, so we made little use of the patio. The room was "tropically" decorted with bright colors and tile floors (no carpet at all).

The "beach" was rather troublesome-- the sand looked like dirt instead of sand. What was suppose to be, I think, a pier was a glorified gazebo. The pool was quite sad land small, especially because it was surrounded by a bunch of p.o.'d looking pale tourists with "Margaritaville" playing in the background (myself included).

If you want to go to Duval Street or the northern side of KW, be prepared to walk... Reach Resort is only close to the "southernmost" attractions (Southernmost point, Dennis Pharmacy, Hemingway House, and Lighthouse). From all that walking, we left feeling more tired than when we arrived, and felt that Reach Resort was definately NOT worth the money.

• Stayed February 2005
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank syrurs1
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2005

If you are looking for a 4 star hotel, then you need to keep looking because this is not the place, however we did have a blast in Key West and would go back in a heartbeat, though unless the Wyndham lowered their prices considerably, we would be finding a new place to stay. I loved that this hotel was on the ocean, it did have the biggest beach of all other hotels we saw and a beautiful view, though aside from being outdoors the hotel did not have much to offer.

I was dissapointed right from the start, we booked a reg room w/ smoking, 2 double beds and of course an ocean view. Instead we received a non-smoking, single bed and a view of the rooms across the way from us. When we asked to upgrade they said it would cost us $50 a night and wouldn't be able to do it until 4th night of our 5 night stay! The rooms were small, dirty, cracks in the ceiling, very loud balcony doors, not to mention the air conditioning unit on the balcony which puts of extremely hot air making it uncomfortable to sit on the balcony. The whole hotel needs renavating desperatly. It is beautiful from the pictures but very, very cheap looking when you get up close. I am not a picky nor hard to please person, I am 23 and just went there with a girlfriend to have fun and relax, it's not like I have been to many 4 or 5 star hotels but I can't tell you that I have paid a lot less then what I paid at the Wyndham at other hotels and they surpassed the Wyndham by far. Did I mention the big cracks on the outside of the hotel, makes a really pretty view as you think of how they should tear it down?

The people there were friendly for the most part, especially the guys that put your chairs down for you on the beach, by giving them even $1 they will make sure they come back around and take care of you. We were always offered popcicles and ice cream. The pool was nice and a good size, it has a ledge around it which makes it nice for sitting in the water but not getting completely in. It was very clean too. The little poolside bar makes excellent drinks, a little pricy but worth it to some. The food was a little too pricey but you do get a lot for your money, good luck in eating the whole meal or appetizer. It is perfect to split with someone and split the cost.

There are so many things that you can do around Key West, you definatly do not need a car, we walked or took taxi's everywhere, which were very reasonable. A few great places to eat..Awful Arthurs has great shrimp, the Sands Club next to the Wyndham has excellent prime rib and Crabby Dicks was excellent seafood.

There is a lot to be desired at the hotel but your vacation is exactly what you make it, my best advice is to stay busy outside your hotel room. It is a hard toss up on whether the price of the room is worth it or not, you do get the best oceanfront of all of Key West and I had many locals tell us that but your room is going to be less then desirable and should cost about $100 less a night. Also watch out if you buy a package, they really get you on the 14% room fee they tack on each day that ended up being $78 for 5 nights, puts a damper in spending money if your not expecting it!

I would go back to Key West in a heartbeat and I would definatly use the Wyndam's facilities, I just don't know if I would stay there again. The Hilton has comparable rates and there hotel was beautiful and nearly new. If you don't mind putting out a little extra money so that you can be close to the ocean and just plan on basically sleeping in your room then I would recommend it highly but if you want luxury or a room worth what you paid for, check out the Hilton or the Hyatt!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boca Raton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2005

Believe the bad things you read here, because we didn't and we were sorry. I will admit, we are used to staying in 4 and 5 star hotels, so maybe our opinion is swayed......but this "resort" still has many problems. First of all, the fact that they call themselves "4 star" and a "resort" is completely false. They have about 5 people total working on the whole property! The same person who is the valet is also the person who comes to your room if there is a problem! The pool, which looks wonderful on the website, is a joke, it's actually quite small and dingy looking, wouldn't go in it if you paid me! Our oceanview upgrade (which we paid for) was a fantastic view of the building across from our room. Though, truth be told, we could actually "view" the ocean if we went out to the balcony, stepped all the way to the left, and leaned over the rail. It does look like they actually tried to redo something, there was fresh paint on the walls in our room, but they decided to keep the old doors, ceiling fan, refrigerator/kitchenette, and sitting table, which didn't match anything in the room. The bathroom floor also had little black hairs as a previous visitor mentioned. All in all, this was our first time at any Wyndham property, and I don't think we'll be too quick to visit any of their properties after this one, definitely not the REACH ever again. It would be well worth Wyndham's money to shut this one down and totally revamp it. I say the ONLY way you should stay here is if you can deal with 3-star or less and you get a deal for less than $100 a night on Priceline.

3 Thank libbsjm
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2005

I just returned from a stay at the Wyndham Reach Resort and based on the money I spent to stay there, I was extremely disappointed. The room, a junior suite, was small and in poor condition. The sliding door to the balcony was broken, the bathroom floor had hair from a previous guest and it took forever to get hot water in the shower. The front desk staff, which also served as the concierge, was less than helpful and lacked knowledge about Key West. There are some really lovely bed & breakfasts in Key West and if I were to return, I would select one of them to stay in vs. a large hotel. If you do pick a large hotel, think twice about picking the Wyndham Reach Resort.

1 Thank SweetPea
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2005

We arrived on April 26 and checked out on April 30. This was my husband's 50th birthday present and we traveled with our 5 1/2 year old daughter. The info I read about the hotel implied this was not a kid friendly place but we found it was very kid friendly especially the pool staff and the outside restaurant/pool bar staff. We did not eat at the main restaurant (Shula's) because it appeared pretty formal. I requested an oceanview and boy did we get that! We had room 543 and it faced the ocean and you could also see the pool which was great because we could scope out who was at the pool and what was going on. By the way, what a great pool also! The junior suite was plenty big and clean. Our night lock was broken but the repairman was there to fix it within an hour of our report. The pool guys were fantastic and we ate lunch by the pool all four days--food was reasonable when you take into consideration you are in Key West. Best find: Dennis Pharmacy for breakfast. Three of us ate full meals with drinks for under $20.00 and it is only a couple blocks from the hotel. (The front desk told us about this great locals place.) As far as the cost of the room, it was expensive, but everything is expensive. Being close to the manmade beach within 40 steps of the pool was the best! Would also suggest if you did not bring a car to get 3 or 5 days passes for the Bone Island Shuttle which will take you to designated spots all over the island. Much cheaper than taxis and they run until 11:00 p.m. each day. Don't miss the aquarium, the butterfly house or Mallory Sqaure--all lots of fun with or without kids. For a town that is supposed to be a "non-kid" town, there were lots of kids of all ages having lots of fun!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2005

This place sucked all around. We booked the best room in the hotel 10 months early and they gave it away the night before we got there. The replacement room had cig butts and peanuts on the patio. The patio had an awful stench due to it overlooking the hotel dumpster. They blew the whole reservation and offered nothing to compensate. An honest employee there tried to help me out because he knew the room we were put in was no comparison, but he got yelled at for trying to help because he's supposed to tell me all the rooms are beautiful but was honest with me instead. I killed a roach in the bathroom the 1st night and put it out with other garbage from the last guests outside the door and it all remained there for 2 days - the roach, glasses, dishes, dirty napkins right outside the room door. I got us switched to another room after complaining some more(definitely didn't make up for it) and they offered us free breakfast as we were checking out to catch a plane - how thoughtful! The Wyndham Casa Marina staff must be from another planet because that hotel has class but the Reach Resort is easily the worst Wyndham I've ever been to, and I normally like Wyndham Hotels.

• Stayed March 2004