“Ruined plans”

Ranked #45 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Bucks County, PA
“Ruined plans”
Reviewed June 25, 2009

we had made reservations well in advance for a 4 night stay in an oceanview luxury suite. We were taken to our rooms with our bags and initially thought we would be very happy with the room. The view was very much of the pool, the ocean in the distance. I was pleased to see the double vanities in the bath, then I noticed there is no door on the bathroom at all. (I do realize that some people would not mind this set-up, but I do.)
We called the front desk and they said they were too busy checking in guests to attend to our concerns. I thought we were guests! We were told that all the luxury suites are designed not to have doors on the bath. We offered to be moved to Casa Marina but they had no availability and all the suites there are under renovation. We were told there were no other rooms available at The Reach. Finally we were shown a smaller suite that we did not like at all. So we left and went across the street to Southernmost on the Beach and booked an oceanfront king room, which had a fabulous view and a large balcony with lounges.

This shouldn't have happened. If the hotel's website had mentioned there was no door, we simply wouldn't have booked that room.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (592)
  • Polish first
Tampa, FL
Reviewed June 23, 2009

My wife and I were fortunate enough to book our wedding this past April at the Reach Resort. We knew we wanted a destination wedding and when we narrowed it to down to Key West, we checked out all of the hotels and resorts to decide where to have it. We obviously chose the Reach, but I'd like to give the reasons why:

First, the location is perfect. Whether you are planning a wedding or looking for a romantic getaway, or taking the family for a vacation, the Reach is situated perfect on Key West. It right next to the southern most point, and has a breathtaking view of the Gulf meeting the Atlantic. Looking out past the pool and the private beach, the water is the purest blue. For our wedding, the Reach's gazebo, located at the end of a pier, was an ideal locale that made our ceremony that much special. Also, situated at the end of Simonton Street and Duval, you are not on the "seedy" side of Duval, but not that far of a walk if you are looking to have fun.

Second, the staff is unbelievable. Luke Vossen, our wedding coordinator, was unbelievable. Living in Tampa, FL we were understandably nervous not being able to oversee all the details that Luke handled until the actual day. Yet, everything went without a hitch. He accomodated all of our requests, directed all of our vendors, and made incredible recommendations that gave the experience just the right touch. When considering a wedding in KW, the coordinator is vital as he is your extention and your proxy to insure that everything goes right. Luke, and his staff, went above and beyond the call of duty in making sure our wedding was special. I cannot reccomend him enough.

Third, the food at the Reach was unbelievably amazing. I can say this with complete objectivity--even though it was my wedding!--that the food Luke and his staff at the Striphouse served was the best food I ate a wedding ever. Like most resorts, the Reach has a restuarant on site, but unlike most resorts the Reach actually uses the restaurant to prepare the wedding dinner. Check it out. Most resorts rely on the cheap catering standby of preparing your dinners way in advance, hence the dried out taste you experience at most wedding dinners. At the Reach, all of our guest meals (filet or grouper) was made to order, just like a restaurant. This insured that the food was served at its freshest. We are almost 3 months past our wedding and I am still getting compliments from our guests about the food!

Finally, even with an upgrade to a bridal suite, the rooms at the Reach were top notch. Clean with modern furniture, the rooms were a pure comfort, a perfect retreat during our honeymoon. (Yes, we remained in KW after the wedding.)

Like I said, I cannot recommend the Reach and Luke Vossen and his staff enough. If you have any detailed questions about having a wedding at the reach, feel free to email me: [--]. I would be happy to assist.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank mrabinowitz
Chicago
Reviewed June 21, 2009

Definitely do not stay anywhere to far away from Duval street when you visit. That is the best advice I could give. The Reach is on the complete opposite end of Duval street than where all the bars are. And we enjoyed it. It was fun to go out and walk back through all the craziness to the hotel. So location was great. We also loved the private beach (very rare in Key West). By the way, it's an actualy beach, not like the 10' stretch of rocks that the Westin calls a beach. We had an island view suite but in fact had a dual view of the island and the ocean. The staff was very friendly and our room was cleaned meticulously. The air did go out for a night (a truck in the parking garage took out a cooling line) but they refunded us for 1/2 a night and all 3 nights of the $20 per day resort fee. Also, got a great deal through travel zoo, we paid $149 a night for our sutie to begin with. Don't waste your time eating at the hotel, but definitely try the sushi place next door. Oh, and no free internet :(. They have a business center with 2 slow computers, but otherwise its like $9 a day for internet in the room. I found this odd as our $28 a night hotel in orlando had wireless free.

Overall, one of the best hotels on the island. One last piece of advice, do the jet ski tour. Definitely worth the money!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 15, 2009

I could write a long diatribe on how much my wife and I hated this hotel, but I will spare you and just share the highlights and lowlights.

The highlights:
Bellman and valets were great and attentive.
DJ and Ricardo at the pool and beach were excellent. They always made sure you had a fresh towel and beach chair.

Lowlights:
The resort fee that was a waste of my money it got us nothing.
Poor poor drink service and food service at the Strip house (the only food and drink choice at the hotel).
Grumpy bar servers and bar staff. They were obviously not wanting to work and pretty much stood by the door to the bar with their arms crossed all the time.
Bad food and drink that was way overpriced. A $1 bag of chips and a 2 oz side of salsa and guacamole in a plastic tray for $9.
We were here for a wedding and the staff that ran the event were unprepared. During the cake cutting there was no liquid served (I know that the wedding couple paid for a champagne toast) not even water was available, the staff disappeared during the cake cutting so none was served.
The rooms boasted great amenities which were nowhere to be seen. The room lacked basic items like pen and paper, hand lotion or even a coffee maker. We had family in other rooms and they too were missing the same things.
The staff choose to leave food trays in open air corridors in 90 degree heat for days at a time. The excuse was that room service was provided by the restaurant and they forgot to pick stuff up. Hmmm, sad excuse.
The in room activities was a combo sheet for their sister property that is a mile plus and more than half of the activities were located there, why do I want to spend all my time at a different hotel. This was a little tacky, and the front desk said that it was just easier to print one for both resorts, I don’t get that. How hard it to print a two sided or a hotel specific sheet. By the way they were actually incorrectly printed with multiple errors of things that were no longer offered and we pointed this out on day two of a five day stay and it was never corrected. For example the hotel says no dogs allowed but the front desk and manager said they are now allowed. How do you like seeing dogs pee in the grass and the beach you want to sit on.

I know it seems like I may be picky, but truly I’m not. I just expect that a Waldorf would have a better idea of service instead of just saying hey “We’re a Waldorf so we must be good” and instead lead by example and have the guests say this about the hotel.

• Stayed June 2009
1 Thank rkaradi
baytown
Reviewed June 13, 2009

we were surprised. The hotel was great, I was very happy with the the way they kept everything clean and that includs the private beach , the sand was even cleaned every mourning. The 20 bucks aday was well worth it, the beach and pool staff run to give you towels and set up chairs when you enter the pool or beach. They have a nice little gym we hit every mourning. We did the 12 bucks a day self park and that was good enough. The staff from day 1 was great, AJ at the checkin counter, Ted, the bell man. Our bags were late from american airlines, again. We told Ted we had medications in those bags and Ted made sure we got the bags asap. On check out we had a small problem , Jeselx , not only fixed the problem , but found a discount I didnt know about and failed to take, she made that positive ajustment ! I left with a tear in my eye,. yes , this tight , clean freak was impressed! " i'll be back"

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank randylc
Reviewed June 12, 2009

We love going to the Reach because it has it all! The property is gorgeous, and the services and ammenities are wonderful. We especially liked the employees who made us feel so welcome and were willing to do anything to make our stay comfortable and enjoyable. The Beach staff Ricardo and DJ were rhe best!! We plan on returning next year!
Friends from New Jersey

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank suehan
syracuse
Reviewed June 10, 2009

The pool guy, Ricardo Taylor was very funny, friendly and made our stay so much fun!

Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends