“Inconsistent”

The Reach Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #45 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed May 26, 2009

We booked our first vacation down to Key West and choose the Reach Resort because we could use Hilton points (pretty sure we would have been more disappointed had we actually paid for the hotel stay). Our first impression of the Reach and sister resort, Casa Marina was pretty poor. We ordered drinks and appetizers upon arriving on-site since we'd been traveling all day. We were served spoiled shrimp - now I've eaten in some pretty divey seafood places before but never been served rotten food. It was gross - bad point.

Upon arriving on our room, we were impressed with the decor and personal espresso machine - good point.

We dined in the hotel restaurant for breakfast the nest morning and encountered some very "fishy" salmon - bad point.

We had a great encounter with the concierge and booking our watersports activities - good point.

We experienced rudeness and bad service when ordering drinks around the pool - bad point.

Got a great recommendation for dinner in the area from the front desk - good point.

Never received our NY Times as promised on check in paperwork and when mentioned to the front desk for our refund, as instructed on the check-in papers should you not wish to receive the NY Times, were told this was one thing they were in the process of changing.

So overall, we had a great vacation the experience at the Reach was inconsistent to say the least and if we went again, I think we might look to another place to stay.

Reviewed May 25, 2009

My husband and I just got back from the Reach Resort. This was our third time to Key West and our first time at the Reach Resort. We will definately stay there the next time we go. We arrived late on a Tuesday (after 9pm) and we had no problems with the check in went to our room (a boutique suite) on the fourth floor and dropped the bags and went to dinner at the Strip House. Anthony our waiter was so wonderful. Even though they were so close to closing time he did not rush us and was very personable. My Steak Frites was the best steak I had all week. There was so many other places to dine that we did not make it back to the Strip House for another dinner, but I will say it was one of the best meals I had all eight days I was in Key West.

Before returning to our room my husband stopped by the reception desk to see if we maybe could get an upgrade from the room we were in. I want to state that the original room was beautiful, you could see the water, it was just above the new chess board they installed on the lawn and the pool was just ahead of us towards the beach, the only issue i had with the location was the large air conditioner across from us that was very loud and didn't seem to shut down at all. Anyway, they said maybe the next day another room might be available.

So on Wednesday we got up and went to breakfast then to the private beach at the resort. As in other reviews, I agree that DJ, Taylor, and DA (waiter at beach) are so accomadating. They work from dawn to dusk it seems and always with a big smile and making sure you have everything you need for the day. We spent every day relaxing for quite a few hours under our umbrella just enjoying the water and ocean breeze.

When we got back to our room on Wednesday there was a message from AJ at the front desk that another room was available if we would like it. My husband went to check it out and came back to get me--we were offered room 543 which is right on the end overlooking the beach and pier--of course we took it! This room was perfect! You could hear the waves and the breeze was wonderful!

Also the Reach Resort has a lot of weddings. We saw three while we stayed there. First wedding was very large ($$$$), second wedding was the opposite just the couple and about a dozen guests on the pier and the third was in between the others and a nasty rain storm blew in just after the ceremony so they had to run for cover--they say rain is good luck on your wedding day!

Restaurants I would recommend: Louie's Backyard (on the water next to hotel), Abondanza! (best scampi I ever had!), Antonia's, La Te Da, Camille's, and Strip House. Tried to get to Seven Fish (too busy first night and closed Tuesday) will have to go next time. Also El Ciboney is a favorite, but didn't get there this time.

I found the entire staff to be very helpful and kind. Always a hello and a smile. I would recommend this hotel.

Reviewed May 22, 2009

We arrived in Key West early in the morning, no hotel reservations. We visited many properties and we were able to get a fantastic rate at the Reach, the same as the local B& B's. Check in was mid-afternoon and they allowed us to check in at 11:00. Everything about our experience was perfect! The room was clean, the beds very comfortable, the balcony was a plus. We spent every morning on the private beach and the pool. The walk to town is only a few blocks, we left our rental car parked at the hotel the entire stay. We stayed for 5 days and have nothing but great things to say. The front desk was always pleasant and accomodating.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 21, 2009

this hotel exceded our expectations on nearly every level. If what your looking for is understated , but luxurious and polite enthusiastic staff willing to do what ever your wish is... this is it. we loved every minute of our five nite vacation. the room was ocean view and quite close the ocean. room # 341 or #342 . It was spacious with an expresso machine in the room and a wonderful terrace. Our pool boy was great , setting up chairs , umbrellas and towels enthusiastically every day.
we stayed from mon thru sat am. checking out sat morning. we noticed the crowd changed from a quieter honeymoon and older to a party crowd on friday nite and sat.
it is a quieter spot than it's sister hotel casa marina (within walking distance).
the one drawback would be the breakfast. it is only a buffet and no other option. we would have preferred an open menu. but the setting is wonderful. the other minor problem was the hotel common internet which was extremely slow. but we just used it for a quick check on things every day. it could use some improvement. we rented a car and drove to mallory square and duval street every day since it's not walking distance.
great town and for us a perfect location. a combination of island and city . we wanted to be on a swimming beach and that it was (hard to find in key west).
the weather was perfect in the 80's but not humid and since it's quite breezy there ...no bugs.
we hope you get a chance to enjoy it as well.

Reviewed May 15, 2009

This place rocks! I am a huge fan of modern minimalist boutique style hotels and this was exactly it. We started off at the DoubleTree which is total garbage because of a Pet friendly policy that wasn't so Pet friendly and crappy location along with their junk filled resort. We then quickly moved to the Reach.

Everything was awesome after that. This hotel has been completely redone. I know they are way too far down on the list of Key West Resorts; I don't think there is another resort with the same type of accomodation! This resort should be 1 or 2 with out a doubt. I see that there are a ton of reviews on this hotel from 5 and 6 years ago influencing its numbers which is terrible since it has new owners, Waldorf/ Hilton and it has been completely remodled.

The rooms were awesome but the key is the private pool and the beach along with the location a block of fDuval. The pool and beach are right there on property; there may not be a better beach in Key West. The pool guys are incredibly attentive. Cheers, DJ an Ricardo! The Strip House bar/ restaurant has a nice swanky vibe...a little expensive and a little slow to bring drinks to the pool but hey your on vacation and you can always order two drinks!

I highly recommend this place and we are definately going to stay there when we go back no questions asked. I travel a lot and love to try different hotels but I am sold on this one in Key West!

2  Thank zss56
Reviewed May 14, 2009

I just returned from a weekend at The Reach Resort. I was in Key West for my nephews wedding and booked six rooms.

The Reach is in a great location, one block off of Duval Street and right on the water. It has the best beach in Key West and the staff on the beach is excellent, especially DJ, who set up our chairs every day. The Reach is also right next door to its sister hotel, Casa Marina, and it has a Starbuck's on site if you like your morning coffee.

The rooms are nice; modern and very clean. The beds are divine, majorly comfortable. Every room has a balcony with a couple of chairs and a table. The beachside restaurant is good with a breakfast buffet and a pretty decent lunch menu. However, the buffet at the Casa Marina is way better and you can charge to your room over there too. I didn't use the pool, but it was very nice and has no specific hours so you can go for a dip at midnight if you want to.

I only have two complaints about this hotel. Firstly, it is like a damn maze. Seriously, I don't know who designed this place, but you will most likely end up in the parking lot at least once trying to find your room. :-)
Secondly, the business center is not up to par for a Waldorf property. I tried to print my boarding passes the night before flying out and it was a gong show. Two ancient computers and a barely functioning printer.

Overall, a great place to stay and I would certainly return!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank JillyMcWilly
Reviewed May 10, 2009

family vacation for son's wedding. 4 different types of rooms and Tia at the front desk made everyone happy! Ricardo and D.J. were fantastic and met all our needs and more at the beach and pool. the rooms cleaned by Sebastiania topped off our day. Ron, the bellman arranged for our clothes to be laundered and made our departure smooth. Emmanual and A.J. always greeted us warmly at the front door. the employees really make this place a little slice of Heaven! Already planning our next trip. PEACE

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family