“Great location, but very$$$$”

The Reach Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #45 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed June 5, 2014

In general, great location, very good service, very attentive staff, very clean. The mattress seemed old, with edges higher than middle. Room cost is a little high, acceptable, but the added costs will quickly increase your cost - $20/day resort fee, $20/day parking fee, and in spite of an emergency at home that required us to leave a day early - another $75 early departure fee. That early departure fee will factor in our lodging decisions in future visits to Key West, we thought it is poor taste.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,774)

Reviewed June 4, 2014

We had a absolute Awesome stay at the Reach Resort in Key West. The area was beautiful, the beach was full of beautiful people, and the sands and Service were TOP NOTCH. The Staff meet everything I asked for, even provided my Wife with a bottle of Champagne for our Anniversary. Key West was a awesome, the FURY ultimate adventure that was recommended was fabulous. Thank you very much. I will most definately book a trip to Key West again and I will be Staying at your Resort. Thank you again, Jason and Rebecca Smolsnik

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
2  Thank Jason S
Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

To start, my husband booked this trip in January. MONTHS ago. He had also called on a couple of occasions to check on things. During one recent phone call he was told that although they did not know room number yet, that we would have a courtyard view room. Upon arriving at approximately 2:30 we were told our room - number still unknown- was not ready yet (understandable since check in is at 4:00) and that they would call us when it was. We were fine with checking in our luggage and going for a walk. At 4:20 we were back in lobby...the phone call never came. As we inquired, the less than apologetic desk clerk made a phone call and asked if "that" room had been inspected. Then as we inquired again we found out our room was not facing courtyard but the hotel across the street. We expressed our concerns to which we were then told that this is the room "Orbitz booked for you". Really? So then why did we not know a room type/number better before hand so we could have possible adjusted to what we wanted? Remember my husband called more than once.

Upon arriving in the "inspected" room - which turned out to be EXTREMELY noisy in the early mornings due to delivery trucks, trash trucks and waiting taxis , which are constant and beep VERY loudly when backing up. ... we were apalled. Literally. Mind you, At any other hotel this would have irritated me but at one that carries the WA name and charges what they do...it was unacceptable. We found: Filthy carpet (very visible black on it)...dust on everything (clumped on closet track in plain sight and on front of door...noticeable to the naked eye)...the writing pad had dried liquid on it...hair dryer looked very old and beat up and had previous persons hair stuck on it...pillow case had what appeared to be black hair dye on it (noticed this later)...almost non-ecisent clothing space and what set me over the edge was one of the glasses in the bathroom had a very visible golden colored "goo" in it. I touched it...yes..I did...and it stuck to my finger. So I placed a call and they sent someone up almost immediately. Unfortunately, this sweet young man had to suffer through my tired rant. His name was Rony (accompanied by another very pleasant girl whose names starts with V) and he was EXCELLENT. Very apologetic and professional and quick to respond. In a nutshell, he got the room issues resolved by cleaning it himself even going as far as to say they would shampoo the carpet (we declined because we didn't want to have to deal with wet carpet, etc - so we resorted to keeping our flip flops on most of time). I later called Rony back to apologize to him AND more importantly to commend him for his professionalism in a not so pleasant situation. In the end, we received a phone call from Jen saying they were waiving our resort fees (thank you). After this, To add further fuel to the fire, we asked for a regular coffee pot...we received a broken one. A new one was not delivered or perhaps we were out when they tried. Later that evening we called again for it....never came...about 30 minutes later I was told everyone was going home but she would try. Then appears RONY who was on his way home for the night with it. Might I add he had even gone out of his way once to knock on our door and check on us! Again, RONY was a pleasure and his efforts and ability to take care of clients should be recognized.

So in conclusion, The Reach visually is a nice place. The beach/pool combo and the sunset deck overlooking the water are nice. As for seaweed. The staff at The Reach fight a losing battle in this area. They really do try to keep up with it. You simply can't. Walk past it and the water is beautiful. We didn't even attempt the restaurant because of price and reviews. On that note, we checked other "lesser" hotels in the immediate area...they all have a complimentary breakfast of some sort...NOT The Reach. As for the welcoming staff...we really never got that warm "glad you are here" feeling. The "where are you from" question always seemed alittle forced if you will.

The greatest disappointment here was for my husband as this was my birthday gift from him....

Signed,
Disappointed in KC

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank DLF527
Joshua B, Manager at The Reach Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback concerning your recent stay here at The Reach. I'm very glad that Rony was able to accommodate you while you were facing such an unexpected situation. It is with the most sincere apologies that I extend this response to you, and I sincerely hope that you would be so kind as to stay with us again in the future.

Should you return to Key West and consider our property please feel more than free to call and ask for me so I might aid you in finding suitable accommodations.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed our time at The Reach. The welcome was fantastic and we really enjoyed our complimentary bottle of sparkling wine.
We did pop over to Casa Marina to see if we were missing out on anything but actually felt The Reach was a much nicer size and a friendlier place. The breakfast at the Strip House is convenient, but it is worth venturing out to try other places in Key West to broaden your horizons. It is really near to the Sourhernmost Point so if you really must have your photo taken there - you can avoid the crowds (we went at sunset - everyone must have been elsewhere!) There is also a good bike and scooter rental a around the corner and a Japanese restaurant that does the freshest sushi and fresh fish we have ever had. Highly recommended.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nicola082
Reviewed June 3, 2014

It's hard to complain about a hotel on one of the few private beach spots in Key West. But the staff was hit or miss and for every nice feature there seemed to be something to detract from it, making the experience slightly above mediocre. Popsicles at 2 by the pool is a great idea. Having bikes to rent right at the hotel, also a good idea. But they forgot to clean our room and when I called the front desk just to request a refresher on towels and soap, no one ever came by to do so. There is access to the other Waldorf property, which appeared a cut above this one, but we didn't take the walk over.

Room Tip: Your view can vary greatly. If you want a good one you'll need to do some work with the front de...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank PhiladelphiaJordan
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I've stayed at several Waldor Astoria properties that really knocked my socks off. This place left my socks perfectly in tact.

The Pro's-Great location, incredibly friendly staff and the use of Casa Marina facilities. Cindy who works behind the front desk is AWESOME! The Nespresso machine in the room was a nice perk.

The Con's-Our shower was clogged and the water would not drain, we had to call maintenance. He was quick and efficient but tracked wet, muddy and dirty show prints all over the tile so then we had to call housekeeping. Our room safe did not work, I had to call security to come and fix it. It was fixed and I appreciate it but...I want to spend my vacation relaxing not getting a shower and a safe fixed. The elevator also broke during our stay. Lastly, the room had very few electrical outlets. This is not a big deal to some but for a younger generation with iPads, iPods and Mac's we need power.

I would recommend this hotel but only to those who are older and who do not want or need modernization. This is an older property that needs some TLC.

Room Tip: In room 524 you can't see the pool or the ocean because of Palm Trees. The room location however...
2  Thank Joy30Joy30
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We were so pleased with our stay at The Reach. Every staff member was so helpful and friendly! Our room #543 was on the top floor overlooking the ocean and had a private balcony. We enjoyed every aspect of our stay and would recommend it to our friends. We took 34 years to return to Key West. It looked a bit different, but still a beautiful place to visit and so much to do. I would recommend the Butterfly/Conservatory as a must see for all!

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria