“Great stay at The Reach!”

The Reach Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #45 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed July 31, 2008

This place is wonderful!!! The rooms are modern and the new updates really take the resort to a new level!! We did have some minor issues while we were there but the front desk was extremely helpful and they discounted our room one of the nights because the water was not working. (Lots of construction going on around the vicinity of the resort).
I have traveled extensively and I am pretty harsh critic. As far as resorts go in Key West - this is by far one of the best.
If you have never traveled to Key West be aware that the beaches are not that good and the town in generally really dirty with chickens roaming the streets! However, the scuba diving is amazing which is the only reason we chose Key West. If you do dive, use South Point Divers. Contact them directly since the resorts increase their prices to pad themselves a commission.
The hotel is also about 1 mile from Duval & Front St. where most of the bars and stuff are located. This really didn't seem to be an issue at first but after a while the walking really got old!!!!
One last note - there is a "resort fee" of $20 per day. We were told by the front desk that if we had booked directly with them we would not of had to pay this. However, since they discounted our room because of the water issue, we didn't argue about the fee.

Reviewed July 29, 2008

I stayed at The Reach Resort for a week and I loved it! It is located right on the beach. The dining is fantastic! I had breakfast everyday there. Although the breakfast costs $17, they had enough food to where I mostly skipped lunch. The Reach has a wonderful staff. Ricardo was especially helpful. If you are planning to visit Key West you should be sure to try out The Reach!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank tdb875
Reviewed July 28, 2008

I stayed for one night at the Reach last week because it was at a decent price in a location that sounded good.

Pros:
- Staff was friendly and helpful. The electronic safe was not working when I arrived and someone came to fix it fairly quickly. I phoned about the air conditioning, which seemed a little weak upon arrival and someone came up to take a look within about 10 minutes. The air-con still might be a little weak for the summers.
- Location is near the southern-most tip of Key West at the quieter end of the town near Duval Street. A walk to the other end of Duval takes about 20 to 30 minutes and is about 2 km.
- Beautiful view of the ocean and the place has its own private little beach.
- Rooms had a nice modern decor and was in good condition.

Cons:
- Not clean! The floor tiles were dirty. The shower had hair. The bathroom counter-tops had dusty film. Worst of all, the linens had stains and hair. When I asked for new sheets, I found that they too also contained stains and had hair in them.
- There was no hot water for the shower. It wasn't too bad though as the cold water was not so cold.

So, for me, the dirtiness of the room made this just an OK. If cleanliness were not an issue, I would rate this Above Average. As you can see from the photos, the decor, facilities, location and view are quite nice.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank SeeTheWorld77
Reviewed July 27, 2008

The Reach Resort is a lovely hotel nestled on the beach in Key West. It is located at the opposite end of the island from Mallory Square which was a fifteen minute stroll. We arrived at 12:30 pm and our room was available to check in early. The self parking rate was $12 per day. Room number 536 was on the top floor and had an ocean view, but it was far enough away from the pool for plenty of privacy. I've noticed that some people have complained about the amount of children at the pool, but I enjoyed the lively family atmosphere. The staff was very helpful and pleasant. The plentiful breakfast buffet was $17 but provided so much food that I skipped lunch most days. Room 536 was elegant and had a Nespresso machine, small refridgerator, large screen TV, chair, sofa sleeper, safe, and plenty of drawer and closet space. Beware: there is construction of a new hotel on the other side of the Reach, but it was not obtrusive to our room. There were small ants in the bathroom. However, I realize that in the Florida rainey season the critters do come indoors at times. One can rent a bicycle for $15 per day from the hotel, and I enjoyed seeing the island with this mode of transportation. What little beach area there is in Key West is always dirty and smelly. This is a fact that one must deal with when visiting the Keys. Overall, the hotel was a pleasant experience and good deal for a three star hotel.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Altkunst
Reviewed July 25, 2008

We stayed at The Reach for 3 nights in July. We were not impressed. The hotel simply does not meet expectations. Granted, it TRIED really hard to be "swanky" but it just didn't succeed. Their basic rooms are the size of a postage stamp...very small and the most disfunctional room I've ever stayed in. Let me start with the shower because it was the most painful, annoying thing to me! The showerhead shot out the water so fast and hard, it was downright painful! And if you have a sunburn or bald head, you will be in agony. You can't adjust the water pressure at all. The knob only adjust the temperature, not the water pressure. Secondly, the shower only has about an 18" glass partition, the rest of the shower is wide open to the bathroom. That means two things...one, the shower never "warms up" or steams up. It's cold as the air comes in freely. Secondly, as you can imagine, water gets all over the bathroom floor. It's the most ridiculous design I've ever seen.

In an effort to have a "fancy" sink and faucet, you have little counterspace in the bathroom.

As for the rest of the room, it was fine. The bed was comfy with nice linens. It has a little wet bar with great coffee.

The pool is small and the water was cloudy. The "beach" isn't much at all and so covered with dead sea grass, it's not very pleasant either. It's definitly not a swimming beach. But, you really shouldn't be going to the Keys for beaches anyway...even their nicest beaches aren't very nice when you compare them with other Florida beaches. Don't let their claim of having a natural beach persuade you to stay there.

Ricardo, the pool guy was there and he does a great job.

Lastly, they charge you $12 a day for parking and $20 a day for "resort fees." What the resort fee covers? They told me it was for the coffee in the room, internet, gym, etc.... That's some EXPENSIVE cups of coffee! We stayed at the Sheraton Suites -Key West for 2 nights prior...they didn't charge anything extra for in-room, Starbucks coffee, parking, etc...

Reach management, if you are listening, your resort fee is the biggest rip-off ever! For your prices, you should be able to provide free internet , a gym and in-room coffee! I will never stay at another resort that charges a "resort fee" unless I get free parking, internet, in-room coffee and a resort with tennis, free kayaks and lots of other things.

All in all, the resort is nice, it's clean, nicely landscaped. You won't be miserable there. But for the cost, I highly recommend you look elsewhere...it's not a 4 start hotel.

Reviewed July 24, 2008

We are glad we stayed at this end of the island. Much quieter. College party days are over. The resort was very clean and nice for the special price we got but I heard in the winter it could be 400.00 then it is not worth it. Pool area could be a little bigger and the reviews are right about a lot of kids. But Ricardo saved the day. He was great!! Fun to talk to. Love to you also Lexy. Thanks so much!! The only thing I wished for was a soft sandy beach even in the water with no rocks or seaweed but I knew it wasn't going to be like that. Yes I would stay here again!!

Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed July 24, 2008

LOCATION/PARKING:
The Reach Resort is located at the bottom of Simonton Street, one block from Duval, and right on the ocean. If that doesn't tell you enough about the location, just know that it is excellent. It is within walking distance of the Southernmost Point, many restaurants, a small grocery, and the hopping part of Duval (though a bit of a hike, it's easily doable). However, it is the quieter end of the island, which makes it great for those who don't want to be in the tourist trap area their entire vacation.

I cannot comment on parking because we did not have a car for our trip, but as I recall it was fairly expensive. If you really want to enjoy yourself in Key West, rent scooters or an electric car from one of the nearby providers (there are at least two within two blocks of the hotel), because you will pay for parking everywhere you go, and it is always extremely limited.

DINING:
The Reach Resort has its own restaurant on site called The Strip House. It is intended to be moderately upscale. They do have outdoor patio seating near the pool with a views of the ocean as well as an upper balcony, though I cannot comment on the inside as we did not dine there. However, there was a wedding reception held there during our stay, so I am assuming it's a nice venue.

There are many restaurants within a few blocks of the hotel, and we took advantage of that frequently. I highly recommend the Banana Cafe for breakfast/lunch (on Duval just over a block from the hotel), and Ambrosia right next door if you enjoy sushi.

ATMOSPHERE:
Clean. Modern. Open. All words to describe The Reach. The lobby is decorated pretty minimally with neutrals mixing together with bold colors. It's fresh and has a young feel. The outside corridors leading to the rooms criss-cross in many directions, and getting to your room can be somewhat of a maze. But the hotel itself has a very updated feel, as would be expected with its recent renovation.

The pool has been called "small" by some, and I would agree. The pool was always busy during our stay. But the chairs are comfortable, and we did meet the infamous Ricardo, who was every bit what everyone makes him out to be! There is also a beautiful pier area beyond the pool along with the jetski rentals and open beach area, which was somewhat small but the softest beach we found in Key West.

THE ROOMS:
We stayed in an "Island View" room at $165 a night through Hotwire.com. When we walked in, we were immediately happy with the room. The entry, a short hallway and closet area, led to the bathroom on the right and opened up past the bathroom into the main room area. The balcony was at the other end of the room.

The bathroom has a modern island personality with a freestanding sink and counter area made of open dark wood cubby holes, which were stocked with hand and body towels, washcloths, and hairdryer. The counter space was adequate for three people who don't travel too heavy. Vanity items included a nice-smelling shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, hand soap, shower gel, cotton swabs, cotton balls, and even a pair of earplugs (though they weren't needed). The bathroom itself wasn't very large, but large enough to maneuver without shutting the door on yourself. The shower curtain you had to be very careful closing and sealing the area near the head because water tends to get out due to its shape. My boyfriend took a shower immediately after arriving and we had a pool of water on the floor when he was finished.

The room itself is clean, fresh and airy with high ceilings, modern furnishings. Just inside the small hallway to the left was an open sink area with Nespresso coffee maker and a box full of teas, creamer, sweeteners, and stir sticks. Just past the sink on the left was a desk and chair area with internet hookup. Beyond that, an alcove with LCD television and a mini fridge housed in the cabinet. On the right were the two amazingly comfortable beds, and in the far right corner sat a chaise lounge with reading lamp. There was also a ceiling fan in the room, adjustable from a switch on the wall with four different settings. It really was a nice touch, and every time we entered the room we always commented how refreshing it felt. The balcony was equipped with two chairs and a side table overlooking a quiet residential street.

The beds get their own portion of the review because they truly were amazing. They were a plush pillowtop mattress with pIenty of pillows (feather and synthetic). The sheets were crisp and beautifully white, excellent quality and smooth to the touch. A lightweight feather duvet with damask striping topped it off. I even asked the hotel staff if they knew the brand of mattress in the rooms, but no one could answer.

SERVICE:
I had written a note to the hotel via their Web site asking for two beds weeks before our arrival. When we went to check in, the clerk confirmed me for a king bed room. I declined and she said she wasn't sure if she could handle my request, to which I told her I had sent the request weeks ago and management confirmed it. She checked again and suddenly had a room, but it wasn't ready. She offered to store our luggage and call us when it became available, which was a nice gesture. As promised, she did call less than an hour later. When we checked in the second time, they offered to bring our luggage up to our room. The bellhop was friendly and offered excellent dining and activities suggestions when he arrived. We received the same excellent treatment at checkout since we could not take our luggage with us (we were waiting for a boat to arrive).

Also, it should be noted that the maid service was on top of things. We had the "do not disturb" sign up most of our stay, and they respected the request unlike many hotels we've been to. An added nice touch was that they called each evening the sign was up to find out if you wanted your room cleaned or needed fresh towels or bath supplies.

OVERALL:
We were very impressed with The Reach and enjoyed our stay. There was very little noise we noticed, though it may be louder if you have an ocean view room, as most overlook the pool area. Also note that some rooms may face the construction going on directly across the street from the resort. Luckily, ours didn't. I was a little disappointed with the price because I'm used to paying no more than $80 for 3-star and better accommodations in other cities and vacation destinations, but the value compared to other Key West resorts was right on par. I was disappointed that they charged a $20 a day resort fee (plus tax), which seems excessive when all they offer is a pool and fitness center on property. Still, don't let it detract from the big picture: The Reach is a clean, modern, customer service-oriented facility convenient to the best of Key West. Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank smootchick