“Great Stay!”

The Reach Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #45 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Excellent room - very clean, comfortable and well equipped. Had a great stay for the one night we were in Key West. The private beach attached to the hotel is beautiful. Location is great as well - a couple of blocks from Duval st and the southern most point.

Deduct one star cause the staff could've been better.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Anurag N

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Excellent hotel and staff. We arrived early on a Friday and were tired from our flight and drive. The front desk was very nice and gave us a room right away and upgraded us! We had an amazing time. The beach and pool were both very nice. The ocean was warm, clear and amazing.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
1  Thank SunshineGirl011
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Room average and perhaps not as high class as expected but the location is great with own beach and just minutes walk away from Duval. Great staffing at the beach always helping out to make sure we always had all set each morning

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I reserved a waterview room and all fairness this is what we recieved. There was a little spot on our 4 by 6 fot deck, to lean over the rail, look between the buildings to see the water. Make sure you take the breakfast package if offered and you still want to stay here. I have a couple of bucks, so I guess $28.00 won't kill me, but I have had better at Bob Evans for under $10.00. Too many hotels and guest house in Key West. Even if you want to stay in the best of the best, you have that couple extra dollars and don't need to sweat the little stuff. Don't feed this Hampton Inn in Waldorf Clothing.

Room Tip: if you are going to stay in a Water View room, insist on seeing the room before you check in. No on...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank William N
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Waldorf Astoria was really a nice stay. Located at the foot of Duval St you can literally walk to most all attractions. A cheap bus ride covered the rest. Spent an entire week there. Trust the concierge. Their recommendations are spot on. Sunset Catmaran cruise was very reasonable and memorable. Included drinks and horsdeurves. The warf at the end of Duval at sunset was also awesome. Look for the "Cat Man"! Also check out the treasures of the Atocia and the Butterfly House. Beware, June through August/September'ish is the hot season. Bearable but hot. Exoctic vegetation everywhere reminded me of Hawaii. Iguanas too!

Room Tip: All rooms were nice but you really won't spend a lot of time in it anyway. Go to the roof at sun...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The front desk young gentleman is very friendly. Got a better room than we expected. The decor in the bedroom has very good taste and I like the espresso machine! The bathroom is very spacious. There is no bathtub but I like stand in shower.

Room Tip: Get jetski tour from somewhere else. The price in the resort is pretty high.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

The Great:

1. Private Beach: There are not a lot of beaches (I mean real beaches, with sand et al) in key west - WA had one, which is one reason why we booked, It is a decent sized beach, with water activities right in the hotel premises, so it was great experience. The water had some sea weeds, but if you look on google maps satellite view, they are everywhere around key west.
2. Walking distance to main attractions: The southernmost point, Light house, Hemingway house were are within walking distance. Duval street is right around the corner. There is a Deli just across the road from the hotel, for quick bites or groceries.
3. We had decent rooms with private balconies, so that was great.

The not so Great:

Happy hour in their Strip Bar: It is a joke..!!Happy hour includes only beer and not any cocktails. The bar tender was explaining that if it had to be mixed with 3 or more ingredients, then it is not included in happy hour or some %$#& like that. That is cheap behavior, plus they had no beer on tap.

Charge for Parking:
What I don't understand is why would a hotel charge for parking for their own guests? I can understand if the hotel is in a downtown area, Airport etc. where people could misuse it. I don't know about the other hotels, but if you decide to stay here, park on the backside streets which do not have any parking meter - that would buy you a couple of cocktails, I guess. It should be included in the resort fee that they charge (25$ per day per room).

Resort Fee: While I agree that resort fee needs to be charged, I question the items covered under it. Towels in the pool area - really? Don't hotels provide towels in the room? Why would they charge for it of I asked them towels in the pool? Long distance dialing - who uses hotel phones to dial long distance calls,in the mobile phone age? Parking and Internet should be included, I guess or give options to the guests.

The Bad:
Check-In: In spite of booking 4 weeks in advance, and 4 follow up phone calls, we were made to wait until 5:30 pm for our rooms to be ready. After flying into FLL and driving for 4.5 hours (highly overrated drive - IMO, the view would have been better from the flight), it was ridiculous to make us wait in order to be checked in - The reason they gave is my my next point..

Room Cleaning: Room cleaning doesn't occur until 5 pm. In the 4 days we stayed there, once they came to clean the room at 6 pm in the evening.

Room Service: Every time we requested something, simple things like splenda or creamer, extra coffee pods, they took at least an hour (I am not kidding, seriously, in fact I even timed it once). They are seriously understaffed

Overall, Very disappointed - we expected more from a Waldorf Astoria and did not get what we paid for. We picked this against Westin (similar priced, but the Westin was on an island off of Key west, but we were not sure how convenient it will be for getting back and forth into the main island etc., so decided on the WA).I am not staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank rama9998