“First impressions aren't everything...”

The Reach, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #45 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Las Vegas, Nevada
“First impressions aren't everything...”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We read the reviews and took the chance as a few we're very negative...must admit we were skeptical. When we checked in our ocean view room ended up being a tree top view with a spec of the ocean. We immediately went to front desk to 'complain' and the staff did what they could to find us a much better room with proper ocean view. From then on everything went very well.

What we liked:
The Beach is private and natural with nice white sand (hard to find on KW) although small, friendly staff, gym has a few cardio machines and free weights, overall property and rooms clean. Rooms acceptable but a little tired decor

What we did not like:
ocean view room..if you are lucky , shower pressure (although we could have complained about that). Air quality in room a little stuffy

Overall pleased and would return!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sailaway1002
Paul B, Manager at The Reach, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Thank you for choosing The Reach Resort as your Key West hotel! I am thankful that you decided to see for yourself what so many of our guests have experienced for yourself -- we have a luxurious property and fantastic staff! It is our number one goal to exceed your expectations! I am glad that when you brought your concerns to our front desk team, that they immediately remedied the situation for you! We look forward to seeing you during your next Key West vacation! Paul Bartush, Front Desk Manager, The Reach Resort.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

The Reach isn't as glamorous as Casa Marina but its nice. If you want a place close enough to Duval but not amidst the craziness, this is a great place to be. It was priced very high (even for midweek in early February). The rooms have outside doors but it wasn't loud in terms of outside noise. Getting up to your rooms is sort of odd though. Elevators are somewhat hidden. Overall, Id stay here again----but Id look to spend less than $380 a night.

• Stayed February 2013
Riverton, New Jersey
Reviewed February 14, 2013

This hotel was great: well situated on a small man-made beach easy walking distance from the southern part of Duval street. Concierge was terrific, but frequently busy. We were also able to take full advantage of the amenities at Casa Marina - another Waldorf Astoria resort a short walk to the east. Casa Marina is much larger with a bigger waterfront and spa. Cons: dirty rug, pricey $500+/night (with resort charge, taxes, and other costs like bikes and food). Pros: Amazing staff, location, physical plant including landscaping.

Room Tip: "Ocean Vista Boutique Suite" may only have a glancing view of the ocean.
freeport
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We enjoyed a great long weekend @ Reach, spending most of our time on the property enjoying the beach, pool and water sports. John and team at the pool were amazingly attentive coming by on a regular basis with frozen drinks shots, iced towels, jolly rancher ice pops and pleasant conversation. At one point, I removed my sunglassses and John was right there with an eye glass cloth to clean my lens. We couldnt have asked for a more pleasant and attentive staff.
The accomodations were spacious, clean and comfortable with a terrific view of the palms framing the ocean and gazebo. I enjoyed this much needed trip immensely!

1 Thank FreeportLisa_g
Paul B, Manager at The Reach, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
I will pass along this review to our team members! Thank you for taking the time to supply us with a summary of your stay and for calling attention to those who made it memorable for you. We look forward to your next stay with us! Paul Bartush, Front Desk Manager, The Reach Resort.
usa
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I wanted to celebrate our 25th in a big way - we decided to visit Key West. We found our reservations online and The Reach caught my eye because of it's great beach front location. The hotel is perfectly quaint Key West style. What we did not anticipate was the quality of customer care we received. The room we originally booked was not available when we arrived, so they upgraded us to a beautiful suite overlooking the ocean. That would have been awesome enough! But they didn't stop there! The staff are truly in a league of their own; highly respectful, attentive, and joyful! We were there to celebrate and they made us feel celebrated every time service was given. Not enough room to say all the good we experienced here. We will be back!
One note: The Strip restaurant is their only onsite restaurant; it's more of a gentleman's club and is not family friendly.

Room Tip: Suite was on the southwest - very sunny and large. Lots of options for rooms & views.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We can't thank you enough for allowing us the opportunity to provide you with a well deserved celebratory stay at The Reach Resort. All of our staff will be pleased to read your review. We look forward to your next stay with us. How about next year? Our best, Paul Bartush, Front Desk Manager, The Reach Resort.
Clinton Township, Michigan
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Where do I begin? While the location and outside areas such as the pool area, restaurant and beach were very good, the quality of service and quality of rooms was barely above the level of a motel. Upon arrival in my car no one was at the front of the lobby to offer to take my bags, etc after check in I was given a map of hotel garage to park my car. After going in circles I went back only to be told I was given the wrong map. The room was old with a tiny bathroom/ tub. The sheets smelled old and had someone's hair on them. There were no coffee pods nor cream for the coffee maker. I called the operator and was told someone would take care of it in a few minutes. I went sightseeing and returned 4 hours later to find no one had been there yet. After another call , someone came and changed sheets and brought coffee pods and coffeemate artificial cream. Coffeemate at a Waldorf Astoria hotel? When using business center to print boarding pass their computers didnt work. I was told the problem is "Delta Airlines". Half hour prior to check out I asked for someone to help take my bags to my car at 6:20 am. Was told no problem. I waited and waited and made 2 calls asking where they were. I was assured the would be there shortly. Finally at 6:30 am I took my own bags to my car. The concierge was very friendly but didn't seem knowledgable about restaurants other than the one in the hotel . Not what I would expect for $469 per night.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank RitaK924
I am sorry that this was your experience at our resort. Please contact me via email (paul.bartush@waldorfastoria.com) at your convenience. I would like to speak to you in more detail about your stay. Thank you, Paul Bartush, Front Desk Manager, The Reach Resort
Jefferson City
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at The Reach for five nights. The ONLY good thing about the hotel was its location right on the ocean and its private beach. Housekeeping barely spoke English and didn't know how to carry out the most simple tasks. "All we need are towels" and for the next 45 minutes they managed to take their sweet time halfway cleaning our room, while we tried to get ready to go out on the town. It was annoying at best. The valet service is absolutely atrocious. They're lazy, especially in the evening and night. We tipped them 20 bucks every time they parked our car, and in return they acted like it was killing them to do their job. The room service is speedy, only taking 15-20 minutes from placing your order to getting it, but my well-done burger was still bloody in the middle and my girlfriend found two hairs in her soup. Before we booked this hotel, we read the reviews on it. Most praised the hotel, but a small few talked of horror stories. We decided from the good reviews that the bad ones must be disgruntled customers, but upon checking out, we wish we would have listened to them. If you are headed to Key West and are looking for a nice hotel, I suggest you check into the Hotel Marquesa. We absolutely loved our stay at the Marquesa. the staff bent over backwards to assist us.It may cost a few more bucks, but the Marquesa was literally paradise in paradise. STAY AT THE REACH AT YOUR OWN RISK.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank Zombeezy
I am sorry to hear of your experiences during your stay at our property. This is certanly not the type of feedback that we receive regularly. We take feedback like this very seriously and use it to address areas where our staff training may need fine tuning.

At your convenience, I welcome an email from you so that I can further discuss the matter with you. Thank you, Paul Bartush, Front Desk Manager, The Reach Resort. paul.bartush@waldorfastoria.com