“Definitely disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 48 Hotels in Key West
Philly
“Definitely disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Let me start by saying that we are loyal Hilton patrons with diamond status. We are very well travelled and travel with our entire family several times a year... This experience started two weeks before check-in. I tried to reach the concierge on several occasions for the two weeks leading up to our arrival (to arrange airport transport and organize meals& activities, as we were only staying there two nights) and was unsuccessful EVERY TIME. I kept being re-directed to the phone operator and was hung up on once. Upon arriving at the airport, we tried to reach the hotel with the extension provided at the kiosk and kept getting a voicemail. I called the number on our reservation and finally reached the front desk. I spoke with a gentleman that, after asking me for my name several times, told me he would send a white van and it would be 15-20 minutes. He DID NOT mention that he was sending a taxi and that we were responsible for paying- had we known this, we wouldn't have waited 35MINUTES, we would have taken a cab on our own and not wasted the time waiting ( we had a 3 year & a 6 month old & great aunt in tow, too). He also failed to mention that our room was NOT ready. Had we known, we could have ventured about. So, we get to the hotel and explain our first frustrating encounters to a girl at the desk who, in turn, ignored that we were upset and looked at us like we were annoying her while we explained our experience. She then tells us our room was not ready-I explain that the man on the phone failed to tell us this, yet again, we are ignored. We then had a mediocre snack at the strip house (waaay overpriced!) while we waited. The front desk girl came and gave us room keys and our 'honors gift' and informed us that we got a room upgrade. (She asked if we would like our luggage placed in the room and we said yes- we went to the room about 45 mins later and had to call for our luggage.) A room upgrade is usually a bonus to having a high status, but this upgrade was impractical for our family. We were supposed to get a room with 2 queen beds, but were given a one bedroom suite with a pull-out couch in the 'living room'. The layout of this room is impractical, even for a married couple that may be traveling alone. You can not go to the bathroom without having to close the living room and bedroom doors, and if the other person needs to go from bedroom to living room, they would be intruding on the bathroom space. With a whole family, any chance of privacy is shot! There is also only one phone in the bedroom, if one person needs to use it while the other is using the bathroom, there goes privacy. Now, we are settling in to the room and I sit down on the couch with my 6 month old. The couch cushions separate and out pops a chewed up toothpick. Totally disgusted, I became weary of the cleanliness of the rest of the suite, and started wiping everything down with Lysol wipes. While doing so, I found sand in the bathtub. How can I feel good about the cleanliness at this point? I called the front desk and they said they would send up the housekeeping manager- instead, 30 minutes later, one of the housekeepers shows up. As I explain to her my concern that the sheets in the pull out bed were not clean, she argues that they were because they don't look wrinkled, she DID NOT change the sheets at this point and I gave up arguing. She did wipe down the bathroom and said she did not know why there was sand in there but that she was sure the room had been properly cleaned before we came. I was so disgusted, annoyed, and disappointed that I gave up. The next day we go out and come back to a freshened up room. We pull out the couch bed- a silverfish goes running across the sheets. I call down and ask for Paul, he was not available, so I got the front office manager after waiting a good 10 minutes on the phone. After explaining the previous day's findings, she promises the housekeeping manager will be right up and gets off the line as quickly as she could. He arrives and changes the sheets and vacuums the living room- behind the couch and under it looked like they haven't been cleaned in months. We are so disgusted at this point that we can't wait to leave. This was a very DISAPPOINTING experience! And, I have seen that Paul- the manager has said on here several times that he would have liked to have been informed, WELL, WE TRIED! I asked specifically for you. Later that afternoon someone did deliver a card from Cyndi for 3 free breakfasts, but I would have appreciated a managerial face to face follow up, or at least a call. ( I would rather have a night refunded, as it was NOT WORTH THE STAY! and we would prefer to enjoy a local restaurant) We went to Casa Marina for breakfast and were very impressed. $26 for a buffet is ridiculous, and we are thankful to have used the card we were given. The grounds were stunning, though, and the staff seemed waaay happier and more helpful than at the Reach. There was only one really pleasant and helpful staff member at Reach and we encountered him this morning on our way to breakfast. He suggested the Casa Marina over the Reach. As far as room location- to walk so far from the elevator with a whole family was a bit of a pain, thankfully, the weather and wind were not an issue. I WILL NOT stay here again or suggest to anyone to stay here! I gave a two circle rating because the location is nice.

Room Tip: Bring own cleaning supplies. Not good for families. Room access is all outdoor. Restaurant is m...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank H G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
  • Polish first
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Check in was smooth and as a Diamond member I was upgraded to a Oceanfront Boutique Suite. It is a large room with a living area, wet bar and balcony. Because we were on the top floor our room featured high vaulted ceilings with a fan above the bed. IT was GREAT!!! Our view cannot be beat and the king bed was wonderful. Bathroom included a large closet and walk in shower.

This hotel is just one of those places that gets a perfect mark for me! The location cannot be beat. It has one of the few sandy beaches in the keys! Patrick the pool/beach attendant is spot on. You can get drinks and snacks at good prices right there at the pool or beach!

The staff were amazing but I wanted to point out Paul who provided personal service and was always willing to help out with a question. His service alone has allowed me to recommend this hotel to friends and business associates alike!

Property sits just off of Duval Street so you can walk to anywhere in Key West in under 15 minutes. Great property, truly a gem in the Keys!

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms have the best views. Rooms on the 5th floor have vaulted ceilings.
Herndon, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We had a wonderful time at the Reach Resort. It was everything we could have asked of and more!! Very clean rooms/amenities with a great staff! Patrick and Ricardio were very friendly and attentive to our days spend at the beach! Could not have asked for better service. A very relaxing and carefree atmosphere. I would recommend this resort to other people and hope to be back in the near future!!

THANK YOU!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Aston, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We reserved 4 nights at The Reach, but enjoyed it so much we stayed another night. Cindy and Paul at the front desk were so accommodating to all our requests, including a room for the extra night. The entire staff was friendly and knowledgeable. Down by the beach area Patrick, and especially John and Ricardo were there for whatever we needed. They even provided afternoon popcicles!! We loved the view from room 502. We were quit surprised to find that the sister property, Casa Marina Resort was also available for our use and only a short walk from The Reach. It was our first visit to Key West and when we return we would definetely stay here again!! Thank you Cindy and Paul.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view of ocean.
1 Thank EDDiNicola
Paul B, Front Office Manager at The Reach, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Cindy and I are so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us at The Reach Resort! It was a pleasure to meet you both. It is wonderful knowing that you enjoyed your time so much that you extended your stay. As I mentioned at check out, we welcome you back anytime! Be in touch with me if you need some assistance with reservations. Paul Bartush, Front Desk Manager, The Reach Resort paul.bartush@waldorfastoria.com
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the reach for our honeymoon. Overall, we really enjoyed our time at the reach. We were upgraded to a suite and received complimentary champagne, chocolates, and balloons upon arrival. Breakfast every morning was delicious and the waiters were very good. Service overall was inconsistent. Patrick, down at beach/pool, was AWESOME! He took care of everything we needed, made great dining recommendations (even ordering delivery for us), and went out of his way to ensure we had a great stay.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This is a really good hotel. It is right on a nice private sandy beach. The beach is small, but sand is just so good! Water is very clear and quite shallow, so great for kids and good for swimming. If you like your hotel quiet - this is it - it is tucked into a quite area of Key West, but is still really close to Duval and all the great spots of Key West.
The resort does charge a resort fee, but it does include wifi as well as the use of all the amenities without worrying about paying for them piece-meal.
This place is excellent if you are driving - the garage is spacious and is under the building - very convenient. You also get fresh apples daily in the lobby - always a nice touch!
The rooms are a bit dated, but are still holding on ok, so they are not disheveled or anything like that. All in all - highly recommended.

• 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
I am so pleased that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. We look forward to having you back at The Reach soon! Paul Bartush, Front Desk Manager, The Reach Resort
Hamilton, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stunning property! Great staff. In an excellent location, with the best beach access. Although the beach itself was chocka with seaweed, the hotel pool was amazing. And at 2pm each day ... complimentary ice blocks yum! Beautiful rooms, a really relaxing vibe, would definately recommend this hotel and would love to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends