The last time I stayed at a Waldorf property (in New Orleans);
- The Concierge contacted me by phone an e-mail a week prior to my stay, talked to me about possible excursion opportunities for my visit, and made the reservations, and
- When we arrived, the concierge escorted us to the upgraded (due to Hilton Gold status) room, and showed us all of the features of the room while discussing high points of the city.
At the Casa Marina in Key West however;
- I received an e-mail from the Concierge a few days prior to check in. I responded with a follow up question and never received even the respect of a reply. I made all of my own plans, which I anticipate worked out much better since we had a great time,
- When we arrived at 2 PM, we were told that there were no rooms ready and we could go to the bar or pool. I asked about proximity to Duval Street and was told that "It's about a 10 minute walk, and just take a left out of the hotel." While factually accurate, I'm glad I asked for a map and a little additional detail, as it's not quite that simple, and
- When we did get to the room, it was easily the starkest bedroom I'd ever seen in a hotel! For a colorful city like Key West, what a lack of any charm whatsoever. The walls are completely (off) white, with not a single picture, piece of artwork, or splash of color. It wasn't a giant problem, just a wasted opportunity.
Now the bottom line is that the property is beautiful, we did enjoy the jet-ski tour, and the guys working at the pool were quite friendly. You can't beat waking up in a beachfront room, watching the sun rise, and having coffee on the patio. If this was a standard $200-$300 per night stay, it would have rated much higher. But for a $500/night room, you just don't expect the worn and dated furniture, door in need of a paint job, or low quality Zenith tv monitor from the 1990's with low resolution.
During our weekend stay, happily we spent little time in the hotel room so none of this mattered much. We'll be back in Key West, as it's a great place to go - When we are back however, we'll try a different place to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This Mediterranean-inspired hotel sits on a 1,100-foot private beach a mile from Duval Street. Our historic beachfront resort combines 1920s ambiance with a chic, contemporary flair, features sophisticated accommodations, complete with LCD televisions, iPod docking stations, and an in-room espresso, coffee, and tea maker. Amenities include: two tropical pools, water-sports activities, spa services, poolside cabanas, Sun/Sun Bar & Grill serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and The Lobby Lounge for tapas and libations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels Direct, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and HotelsClick so you can book your Casa Marina Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Marina, a Waldorf Astoria Hotel Key West
- Waldorf Astoria Key West
- The Waldorf Astoria Collection
- Casa Marina Resort Key West
- Casa Marina Key West