“Needs some updating”

Casa Marina Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #40 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

The service was friendly, but the rooms were small with a small t.v.
Beach in front of the hotel is very rocky, not really for swimming. Location nice and walking distance to Duvall street and food. Also close to the city view trolley pick up location and higgs beach.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed June 16, 2014

This was the first trip our entire family had been on together to the beach. We were looking for a nice room and a small beach.

We have 3 children, 2 small, and we wanted a resort with a calm beach and a fun pool, and the room we got was really important to us, we were very specific in what we were looking for. It seemed that I had found what I was looking for in the Casa Marina. Because we were taking our entire family, plus our sitter, we needed a large room for us and another room for her. After speaking to the helpful reservations agent at the Casa Marina she sold me on a 2 bedroom suite and then we paid for an additional traditional room for our sitter, she wasn't staying with us. Everyone in our family would have a bed, the upstairs bedroom would have 2 beds and a door to shut out the noise, the living room, she assured me, was large with ample room to move around and had all the amenities we would need. We also wanted to overlook the beach and have a spacious balcony, I was assured that was what we were paying for, that the expensive price tag we were paying would get us everything we wanted. I booked it, and was happy with my decision, although a bit nervous having never been. However, they said they had a sandy beach and a large room for us.

When we got there we were impressed by the beauty of the property! We were warmly greeted, checked in promptly, and shown to our rooms. Our 2 bedroom suite was NOT a 2 bedroom suite at all. It's a bedroom and a loft. While there was a 'living' area, it was small and cramped with a sectional that had a pull out bed. The upstairs loft had a king bed and a bathroom. There was a mini fridge in the room, but no mini bar or snacks. The TV didn't have pay channels or any extras. The balcony was a small BOX with NO air flow. And the room smelled stale. This may all sound nit picky or I may sound high maintenance, but when you are paying the amount of money we were for a 4/5 star Waldorf property, your expectations would be high too. At this point, 30 minutes after arriving on property, my husband and I literally thought about checking out and trying to find something else. We decided to stay and give it a shot for a few days. And having never been to the keys before, we didn't know where we would go. It was frustrating.

Moving along...we went down to dinner...only one restaurant on property, however, we had an exceptional dinner. And the staff was very attentive and helpful with all of our tired and demanding children. I will say that the food is amazing! It takes a lot for me to say that, but it was great.

The breakfast buffet was great. It had many options and was very well rounded, there is also a fun bloody mary bar for the later risers. The staff in the breakfast area is all very nice and punctual. Very helpful as well. We could sit in or outside and the kids had great options for their picky palates.

The beach and pool staff were great! Constantine helped us, almost, daily, setting up by the pool and the beach...as well as Daniel. Those two were extremely helpful in setting up beach cabanas and finding us places by the pool. They had great attitudes and were also very informative on local restaurants. Constantine referred us to Salutes next to the resort for dinner...we ate there twice, it was great! Gemma was a 'gem' on the beach service front. She was constantly around when we needed her and even checking in when we didn't. She was so patient and kind with all of our requests. We were very pleased with the beach/pool staff, very nice.

The in room dining was quick and made modifications for us as well, they were always spot on and would clean out trays quickly as well.

Shaun, at the concierge desk, was VERY helpful as well! He had literally set up our entire activities itinerary before we got there. So helpful with reservations off property as well. He was great.

The outdoor bar was nice, the bar tenders were kind and quick with our orders. It was nice to sneak away out there when we could.

The hotel 'store' was nice too...a small, but nice range of snacks, drinks, toiletry products, etc...and a good coffee and ice cream bar. Seeing as there was no mini bar or snack options in the rooms, it was our only option for snacks/drinks unless we wanted to spend the money on room service where they would charge $6 for a cup of milk. So the walk to the store was fine with us.

The housekeepers were really annoying with how early they came to the room and how many times they would come back until they could clean it. I know they were doing their job, but it was too much. I also don't think they did a very good job cleaning at all. There was mold in our master shower on the tile and on the floor edges. They also didn't really tidy up. I felt like I did more cleaning than they did. Not impressed. Oh, and I got bit/stung 3 times on 3 different nights by something in the master bed. I have a massive welt on my ring finger, on my ankle and on the back of my leg. Literally I think I was stung by something. My daughter also got a bite in the bed as well. I understand they try to be environmentally friendly, but every 3 days washing the linens in a humid and bug filled environment obviously isn't cutting it. AND, I woke up 2 nights to something climbing in the walls.

All in all we enjoyed the property, but thoroughly disliked our room. It was completely lacking in character and amenities that other waldorf properties have. There was absolutely nothing special about it. I've been to other Waldorf properties and they are always nice and impressive, this one, nope. I am angry that I paid so much money for the type of room they offer and we didn't get what we paid for. Their 2 bedroom suite...it's not 2 bedrooms at all...it's a loft. There was no way we could close off our kids to sleep in quiet in the '2nd' bedroom, like we were told. Our youngest ended up sleeping with me in the master bed with our other two kids on the pull out sofa and my husband in the loft. We expected to be able to shut their door to sleep early to keep on schedules...anyone that is a parent of young children knows how important schedules are. I was told we would shut a door to the second bedroom upstairs...and that was not the case. I was also told that we would have 2 beds up there for all the kids, not so. If I would have known that it was going to be a loft with one bed, I would have rented a house, not stayed there. And there is no ceiling fan in the master bedroom, or at least not ours, room 3018, so it my daughter and I sweated every night we were there...super stuffy room. The rest of the place was a cool 69 degrees, but not the master. I could go on...I'm obviously not happy about our rooms.

As lovely as the rest of our stay was, the room situation still makes us upset. Luckily, the property makes up for it with everything else, but even then, not really.

This is why 'I can't decide' is the title of my review. I can't decide how I feel about the place. Obviously the room was bad, but the rest of the place was very nice. Maybe if you get one of their king bed rooms with a huge balcony you'll be happy with it. Don't get a 2 'bedroom' suite.

I'm also conflicted on the 'ratings' and how to rate it. I give the service a high rating ONLY because of Constantine, Gemma, Shaun and Daniel. Value I am rating low because we paid a lot for the room and it wasn't what we expected, however the food prices/drinks/etc. were really reasonable. Sleep quality is low because of the bites we got and the HOT room and the critters in the walls...so we didn't sleep that well. Cleanliness is in the middle because the property itself was lovely and very well taken care of and clean, but our room was moldy and stale smelling. Location was great, in a perfect area and close enough to everything, but far enough away from the mayhem of Duval and the craziness of the cruise ship passengers. Kids activities were few and far between, but ok when they had them for our oldest daughter...NOTHING for young kids that we were aware of. And then the rooms...BAD RATING ALL AROUND. That is why my ratings are all over the place.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms with a LARGE balcony and a kind bed, you might really like it. Don't ge...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank TexMama3
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We attended a wedding in Key West and stayed at the Casa Marina. Everything was wonderful and an excellent hotel for a vacation too. The only downside was the availability of television channels. Who goes to the beach expecting more channels? We only wanted them to watch in the room late at night and there wasn't the choices we expected. Casa Marina is a beautiful hotel built on a lot of interesting history.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Stayed at the hotel because of a wedding and would not spend the money to stay again! No problems with customer services but we got a one bedroom suite for over $350 a night and our view was the middle of a oak tree. Blood was found on pillow and sheets and I could not get the wi-fi to connect at the pool and restaurant. Rooms were ok but totally not worth the money. They had a wedding on the beach so that meant everyone had to leave the beach. Had tables set out Saturday night and were told we could not sit at them unless we were eating(most tables were empty). The "Adult Pool" had tiles missing from the side of the pool. This property does not scream Waldorf Astoria! There was no WOW to the property. Would recommend if you are paying lots of money to a hotel get one on the water and watch the sunset!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank James S
Reviewed June 16, 2014

This is a historic and beautiful property in a great location. I was not impressed that you had to pay for parking though. I thought considering the price of the rooms and the extra "resort fee" this would be covered.

The hotel is dated but lovely. They should do some renovation here and there, but i didnt witness anything that was in dire need of attention. Property is big and gladly had two pools - one for the noisy bunch and one for those who are there to relax. Perfect. There is a bar and restaurant by the beach, food and drink was good. We had a king/balcony ocean view room in the west wing. The room was clean and comfortable. We had a lovely view of the ocean, beach and pool area. Beachfront service (popsicles, frozen towels, Cucumber slices and chaise lounges) was great!

Hotel is close to Duval Street but far enough away so your experience here remains tranquil. Would highly recommend this for any trip to Key West

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Visited this hotel in June for a getaway weekend with my wife. Hotel grounds, pool, beach, lobby were top notch and very well kept. I have read some reviews that mentioned the rooms were not up to Waldorf standards. The rooms were nice. This is an old hotel and they are doing as much as they probably can to keep rooms updated and fresh. What I will say is that the staff I encountered at this hotel exceeded Waldorf standards. Anything we needed we got and everyone was outgoing and friendly. Gregg at the front door was such a good guy and extremely helpful. Every day we went out to the beach, Daniel was there to greet us with a smile and set up our chairs and umbrella. He stopped by often to see that we were taken care of and went out of his way to make sure we were having a great time. He really had a great attitude and I could tell he wanted all the guests to enjoy themselves on the beach. I would put the staff at the Casa up against any I have encountered at 5 star resorts including the Ritz, Fairmont , and Four Seasons. Truly, the people were the best part of my experience at the Waldorf. Would recommend this hotel based on that alone.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pnit
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

We just left the property after a 4 night stay. The ocean view room was great and very spacious. Pool service and food (blackened fish tacos) were very good. We actually ate the tacos every day. Special shot out to Jazz at the pool who made the visit extra special by the personal attention he gave us every day. I would also recommend the two hour jet ski tour. The hotel is about a 10 minute short walk to Duval. We will be coming back. Thank you Casa Marina

• Stayed: June 2014