We stayed four nights at the Casa Marina in August. I was a little disappointed upon check in because the room (n. 221) was very small, and the balcony was also tiny (i booked an ocean vista room, no idea what the room they actually gave us was).
The hotel has a pleasant and relaxing architecture, with a clean and modern feel. The beach is not that good for swimming with all the seaweed and rocks, but lying under the palm trees was nevertheless a great way to chill out. Nice touches are the popsicles and watermelon that the staff bring around. An honorable mention should also go to the complimentary non-alcoholic mojito offered in the lobby from 4-6p. So good that I would rush down each day as soon as I remembered it was that time to grab some, so good that I was never able to get a full cup, cos the urn would get drained so fast.
Disappointments include: being billed every step of the way with extra charges for internet connection ($12/day), breakfast buffet ($20/pp), self parking ($12/day - by the way there was plenty of available free parking on the street around the hotel when we were there). The hotel also charges a ridiculous $20/day resort fee. As many people seem to be unpleasantly surprised by this extra "tax" on their room bill, I think the hotel should include it in the advertised room rate, even if they have to raise it. I think the customers they could lose with the slightly higher room rate, would be fewer than those they anger by this misleading marketing practice. I mean, how many popsicles do I have to eat to make the fee worth it? The other problem was the pool area. There are actually 2 pools, but both are teeming with rowdy children. It would be better if they reserved one pool for adults, as the guests seemed to be about half childless couples half families. In fact, I noticed the couples tended to relax on the beach and left the families with the pool areas. (you also get more attention from the attendants on the beach, fyi). But, as the ocean was a bit weird to swim in, I would have liked the option of cooling off in the pool without being kicked and splashed.
Maid service was also a little spotty. They never cleaned our balcony, leaving empty beer bottles, and a coffee cup half filled with liquid and cigarette butts for 4 days..eeew. We left them just to see if they would ever take care of it, but no. They also didnt replace our sugar packets, we were left with nasty Splenda. One positive mention is the plumbing service we received for our stopped up sink drain, which was taken care of immediately by a very kind technician. As far as the amenities go, we missed the slippers we normally get offered in higher end hotels, but I really liked the shampoo and conditioner. They left my hair feeling super silky.The robes, however, are ridiculous when worn by an average-sized man - made of a unattractively clingy material and with sleeves way too short.
Overall, we did have a relaxing stay, but had problems with the extra charges, pool area and some aspects of the service. Based on the other offerings of Key West, though, I think we would stay there again, but might choose a larger room.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This Mediterranean-inspired hotel sits on a 1,100-foot private beach a mile from Duval Street. Our historic beachfront resort combines 1920s ambiance with a chic, contemporary flair, features sophisticated accommodations, complete with LCD televisions, iPod docking stations, and an in-room espresso, coffee, and tea maker. Amenities include: two tropical pools, water-sports activities, spa services, poolside cabanas, Sun/Sun Bar & Grill serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and The Lobby Lounge for tapas and libations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelsClick and TripOnline SA so you can book your Casa Marina Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Marina, a Waldorf Astoria Hotel Key West
- Waldorf Astoria Key West
- The Waldorf Astoria Collection
- Casa Marina Resort Key West
- Casa Marina Key West