We visited Key West July 18 - 21 and chose the Casa Marina for the location and great beach view. We were down for the weekend to check out venues for our wedding next May.
I will start with the likes:
We loved the grounds-minus the seaweed, but this is the time when they do have a lot of seaweed. We liked that we could chill out on the beach in a hammock or a chaise. We also liked the large pool floats that we both could float on, which was relaxing and with all of the kids and adults playing around in the pool. We liked our ocean view from the room, especially at night. I liked the mp3 player/alarm radio (I don't say IPOD because I have a zen and mine worked just fine). The bed was comfy. The service was decent. The staff was helpful when you asked for help. I liked that I could be at a more quiet end of the island without having too far of a ride to get to the action of Duval.
Now, the dislikes:
The seaweed, which is not their fault it is a naturally occurance, but I thought the upkeep could have been better.
The poor service on the beach and poolside. I'm a small woman, and I can take care of myself. My fi would usually gather our chaises to lounge on the beach, since the beach staff never came over to offer help. One day, I had to get a chaise by myself, which I have no problem doing, except they were stacked a little high for me and I struggled a bit to release one..again, not a problem until I turned around a saw the hotel's beach attendant sitting down and looking at me as I was dragging the chair to my location without ever offering to assist me. He then gets up to remove empty chairs. Apparently, you have to go up to him and ask him for assistance. This would be an example of lacking that special something. Also, we never once had anyone take our drink order at the pool or on the beach. So, I never witnessed any of the staff going that extra step to provide excellent hospitality.
The drinks at the bar....SKIP THE BAR if you want a decent mixed drink. We're used to paying a lot of money for drinks and is not a problem when they have alcohol in them. The drinks seemed watered down and after two days I decided to watch them make the drinks and if they didn't give me the right pour (I've bartended before) I would ask for a remake. Which they would do, so not a problem except I shouldn't have to eagle eye the making of my drinks.
We did not like the shower stall in the rooms. I'm short so not a problem for me to push the shower head all the way back so water doesn't land all over the bathroom floor. But my fi is 6ft and this was not an option for him, so we ended up with wet floors, and having to ask for bathmats (which were not replenished) to clean it up.
Room service was ok. I ordered huevos rancheros with avocados, and the avocados arrived brown and mushy.
The thin walls. I could hear my neighbors. So I know they could hear us...Sorry to my neighbors :-). We are not loud people, but normal bedroom activities can be heard. I also heard a neighbor urinating in the toilet and then flushing.
Some other comments:
Saw two weddings at the same time. Which seems like a factory to me. The beach area was not cleaned up for the ceremony. I had checked out Casa Marina prior to my trip for wedding info, and I know that it is not an inexpensive venture to host a wedding there. So they could at least have made the area nicer. I decided when we arrived Friday, that I would give the Casa a chance as my venue, so I called and left a message with the wedding coordinator at the resort. 6 days later and still no phone call. I've chosen the Hyatt and I love the location, and as another reviewer stated the water is clearer. So Casa definitely lost out on business with me.
All this to say, we would probably stay again, but in the off season when the rates are less, as it's not worth it to pay more than what we paid. The view is fantastic, but I wasn't wowed. And if you drink alcohol, bring your own liquor and mixers and some plastic cups and enjoy them at the pool or beach. You'll save money and disappointment.
On a positive note, my fi left his running shoes, and called back yesterday and they said they would mail them back to us for free. So, that's a good thing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This Mediterranean-inspired hotel sits on a 1,100-foot private beach a mile from Duval Street. Our historic beachfront resort combines 1920s ambiance with a chic, contemporary flair, features sophisticated accommodations, complete with LCD televisions, iPod docking stations, and an in-room espresso, coffee, and tea maker. Amenities include: two tropical pools, water-sports activities, spa services, poolside cabanas, Sun/Sun Bar & Grill serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and The Lobby Lounge for tapas and libations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Hotel.de, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and HotelsClick so you can book your Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Marina, a Waldorf Astoria Hotel Key West
- Waldorf Astoria Key West
- The Waldorf Astoria Collection
- Casa Marina Resort Key West
- Casa Marina Key West