“Beautiful location, not worth the money” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #32 of 48 Hotels in Key West
Andover, Massachusetts
“Beautiful location, not worth the money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Upon arrival the grounds of this hotel are breath taking. A beautiful view of the ocean with two pools and green areas. Great cushioned chairs to enjoy the surroundings. However, this is where the beauty ends. The room was terrible: Two small double beds, the bathroom was pretty but not functional, no drawers to store clothes. Our bathroom vent was not working upon our arrival. The hotel sent someone to fix it but there was no change; we had to make a second request to have it corrected. The hallways were dirty, one elevator didn't work correctly, two outside lights by our door were not working during our entire stay, and at one point someone had left a pile of dirty laundry/towels sitting in the corner of a hallway. We ate at the hotel restaurant just once for breakfast - the food was good but not worth the price. After that we ate every single meal off site. The location is nice but it was a solid 15 to 30 minute walk to reach Duval St./Mallory Square. Next time I vist Key West I'll be staying at a different hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MEV61

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,312)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We loved the location and facilities the pool was fabulous as was the beach. The service was world-class and very friendly. We found all the staff to be very customer friendly. Special mention to Deon and Matt.

• Stayed February 2013
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Can't really compare Casa Marina with any of the other hotels in the area since it was the first time staying in Key West. THE GOOD: The location is great. Relatively close to Duval St., the Southernmost Point marker, Hemingway's house. Hotel grounds and the hotel are amazing. The staff was friendly and helpful. THE BAD: If you are planning on dining on the beach at Sun Sun, make a reservation in advance. I made the reservation after checking in and when the time came, my name was not on the list. You're better off going to Duval St., plenty of food choices there. The "beach" is actually a sliver of sand the length of the resort that is full of beach chairs. Not really for running around, but great for looking at the ocean and working on your tan...and drinking. THE UGLY: Hallway had a musty, nasty smell. Room needs some touch ups and updated equipment. Overall worth a stay, but for the price...I would definitely think twice before booking a second stay there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank A3_n_J9
Ellicott City, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I used Hilton Honors points to book the room for two days for a short get away for my wife and I. I am a Hilton Honors Diamond member and hoped for a room upgrade, but none were available upon our arrival. Our room was the size of a large walk-in closet and didn't have ANY place to store your cloths, but worst of all was the mattress. It felt like it came out of a sleeper sofa and was the most uncomfortable nights sleep I have ever experienced at a Hilton property. I heard other guest comment on how nice the rooms are so that leads me to believe they save this "special" room for people using Hilton Honors Points. The beach was fantastic, but the room was so bad that we cut our trip short and went to Fort Lauderdale for the rest of the week!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeffrey L
NE PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed in early November for a few nights. Family of four with two young (5 yrs and 15 months) children. I was a little nervous at first with two kids in tow, but the staff and hotel couldn't have been more welcoming. Our room had two queen sized beds and a crib (brought in) for the baby. The room was clean, really clean. It passed inspection of a neurotic Mom with two kids clean. The linens were fresh and changed daily, the bathroom was clean and the floors were hard wood (or Pergo, whatever) so no gross hotel carpet to worry about!
The staff made everything very easy, from the awesome front desk, great pool side/beach side help with the towels and chairs to the valets with the car. Room service was great and even available on the beach. Be prepared to tip (hey, it's worth it!) well. The scavenger hunt for the bands was a huge hit with the 5yr old and we did it daily. We visited the aquarium, butterfly garden, toy factory (not a factory, just a store, but still cute) and the ship wreck museum. We hit the iHop for breakfast ( we don't have one locally in PA) so it was a treat. Busy, busy but good. Overall a great place to stay...the kind that gets under your skin and makes you want to return.

Room Tip: We were on the thrid floor above the valet part of the hotel, not a beach view, but very quiet and p...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Ambler, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed at the Casa Marina for a week in late January. I would highly recommend staying here. I have been going to Key West for twenty some years. I have stayed in all types of hotels, BBs, houses etc.
The location of the hotel is perfect. A pleasant walk to the nightlife on Duval but far enough away that its quiet and peaceful at night. The side of the Island that the Hotel sits on always seems to have a nice breeze.
The staff was awesome from the beach and pool staff to the wait staff and bellmen.
I would like to single out one employee that really made our stay perfect . Patrick at the front desk. He helped us get situated in an excellent room that worked out perfent for My wife and I and our one year old daughter. He was pleasant and professional and set the tone for our entire stay at the Casa Marina. The hotel was very child friendly and our baby had a blast.

Room Tip: The more you pay the nicer the room.obviously! beachside better.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Darren H
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

First,, Key West is going to become my travel destination for EVERYTHING. I loved it, weather, food, people... Now, on to Casa Marina. Gorgeous hotel with a great history, and being a history buff, perfect for me. The rooms were pricey, and definitely a lot smaller than portrayed on the web site, but nice. Overall we enjoyed our stay but on the downside: We specifically arranged for early check in since our flight arrived @ 1130, but to no avail, despite the fact they told us no problem. We sat for 4 hours waiting for our 2 rooms to be ready, and when finally approached about them being ready, only one was. And we waited for another half an hour. On the bright side, we had access to our luggage, and were able to get bathing suits and change of clothes. The kids and I walked to CVS and had a mini adventure while waiting, so it wasn't all that bad. So, on to the food. The hotel food was AWFUL!! Now, my father and I are extremely picky eaters, only the finest will do, myself- a former sous and pastry chef and my father plain and simple well traveled and a connoisseur of fine foods and wine. We ate lunch there pretty much every day, and of course, a Waldorf establishment, you think the food would be up to par. However, the food was over salted, and disappointing. The best thing on their menus, the breakfast menu overall, and burger and fries, and the asian chicken lettuce wraps. Other than that, spend your money at an off resort restaurant and enjoy it. The crunchy coconut lobster, deep fried with massive amounts of breading, gross, inedible. Honestly I ate it becuase my father paid big bucks for a gross salad, but he knew by the look on my face it wasn't pleasant.

The staff ... what can I say... PHENOMENAL!!! They were so pleasant, accommodating, and just naturally friendly. They were there to assist us, and my goodness, they made us feel like we knew them forever, which made it hard to allow them to carry our beach towels, and move tables and chairs for us... we had to remember it was part of their jobs!!! I enjoyed talking with the staff, and finding out about where they were from, since it was on their name tags. By the time we left, we had a generally pleasant experience. I would stay at Casa Marina again just for the atmosphere, and the staff, but will, without a doubt, eat elsewhere. Oh, and if you do or don't stay there, make sure to stop at Sun Sun (bar/restaurant) for their Dark Pina Colada... it is amazing!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family